tipping in the DR

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I agree tht.. No need to critizice people who are not used to tipping.

Here in Ecuador people rarely tip, it's not expected.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You're all off and on frinkin vacation again, Nessus, does anyone actually live a real life here? We don't live in hotels, tip 500 pesos for a frinkin pizza hut service, Christ I'm losing faith in DR1 reality here, first AK47 or who ever the guy is now everyone is on a ........... Never mind.
Do any of you go out with average every day low go middle class Dominicans!!!
Doesn't sound like it!

Well, the day we left to go back to Canada, Yris and I went over to a friend of her's little cafe, actually called La Cafe. We had Mango, Rabano, eggs, and fried cheese for two - cost 40 pesos. We gave her 50 pesos. How I tip varys to how good the food was, how the service was, my mood at the time, and how deep my pocket is.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
zoelouise

My bar is in Costambar, we get mainly expats & snowbirds in, very few tourists.

We are lucky because our staff have been with us for over 18 months now & all our regulars know & love them - that helps them average 15% tips .....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have worked in the tourism industry for 6+ yrs and the best tippers are the Americans, followed by Dutch or English.....the worst are French Canadians, followed by French from France, followed by Canadians, and then Eastern Europeans....this is in general, and doesn't single any one person out, just a generalization .....

How do you tell the English Canadians from the Americans. I'm often mistaken for American, perhaps because I'm from West Coast Canada where we speak different.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I run a bar

In general Europeans & Dominicans are lousy tippers. North Americans are good tippers.

I generally point out to my customers that my staff live on tips - if we were to pay them what they deserve, everything would cost half as much again! .... & we would have no customers because everybody believes this island is cheap

Where do you run your bar? Ok, let me guess. Sosua? Are you expecting dominican whores to tip?
Dominicans are among the best tippers in the area. Go to any middle class restaurant or bar in Santo Domingo and you will see.
You better pay you workers a salary and dont be asking your customers to pay to them.
Americans are good tippers as well. europeans, dont.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Where do you run your bar? Ok, let me guess. Sosua? Are you expecting dominican whores to tip?
Dominicans are among the best tippers in the area. Go to any middle class restaurant or bar in Santo Domingo and you will see.
You better pay you workers a salary and dont be asking your customers to pay to them.
Americans are good tippers as well. europeans, dont.

1/ My bar is in Costambar

2/ I don't let whores into my bar - it's a family establishment

3/ We get very few Dominicans in & those that are regulars do tip

4/ My staff are well paid, have health cover & are happy, otherwise they wouldn't still be here after 18 months - believe me, other bars in town have tried to poach them

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
1/ My bar is in Costambar

2/ I don't let whores into my bar - it's a family establishment

3/ We get very few Dominicans in & those that are regulars do tip

4/ My staff are well paid, have health cover & are happy, otherwise they wouldn't still be here after 18 months - believe me, other bars in town have tried to poach them

Sorry, and my apologies to you.
but understand me, there are some guys here from Sosua, who think they are experts in Dominicans. and the only they know is the lowlife of Sosua.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i always tip at restaurants......but just depends on what change i get back (or what i have in my pocket). very rare that i add it on to the credit card stub.

i am not one for percentages......and have actually seen americans taking out calculators and calculating tips....then asking me if i thought that was enough. far too stressful. anything up to a RD$200 maximum.....that is what i say.

tight c*nt!.... that is what they might reply.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
Sorry, and my apologies to you.
but understand me, there are some guys here from Sosua, who think they are experts in Dominicans. and the only they know is the lowlife of Sosua.

and how do you know this?

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
As per my hubby who worked in a resort for 7 years, he says the best tippers are as follows
-Cubano-Americanos
- Americans
-Canadians
-Europeans (germany, france, GB, Russia and Switzerland)
The hands down, most demanding and worst tippers are the Spaniards.
(My husband and his old roommate used to tell me stories on how rude they were and poorly they would tip)

Don't shoot the messenger!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Bob Saunders, you have a good question, but in the business you ask people where they are from, at least thats what I did,... on another point, I had friends work at ONNO's bar, and they say they could tell where people were from by body language....I also read in a letter to the Editor in the Winnipeg Sun by a waitress in the international airport in Honolulu and she basically told the Canadians that they tipped less than the gov't taxed them on tips and basically told them to pi$$ off with their cheap tips....so its not only here

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob Saunders, you have a good question, but in the business you ask people where they are from, at least thats what I did,... on another point, I had friends work at ONNO's bar, and they say they could tell where people were from by body language....I also read in a letter to the Editor in the Winnipeg Sun by a waitress in the international airport in Honolulu and she basically told the Canadians that they tipped less than the gov't taxed them on tips and basically told them to pi$$ off with their cheap tips....so its not only here

My Dominican wife is far cheaper when it comes to tips, well actually when it comes to anything. My parents are generous tippers, so are all my brothers. Perhaps west-coasters are more generous than other Canadians.

Reactions: Bronxboy

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
This is a bit off the topic, but I think it is relevant. When I go to a restaurant, I tend to give a nice thank you and conversation with a tip. It makes the exchange of money and service a great experience and everyone feels stronger, bonded a bit and happier. But for people who want more out of this experience, there is the added benefit of being remembered and getting better service the next time you visit that restaurant or business. I've noticed that in the Dominican Republic, people really remember you if you tip well and with a smile and a sincere thank you. It happens in all countries that way and of course it matters who the person is... but after tipping once or twice, the waitress and all the other people working there will recognize you and it will be like being a good family friend visiting after only a couple times... A way to make an ordinary day beautiful and rich....

Reactions: woofsback

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The 10% on the tab is supposed to be spread around the staff. Whether it is or not is an individual establishment policy.

I always leave an additional 5-10% if the service is decent. Of course "good service" here has a different meaning...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Most anyone, native or ex-pat who can afford to go to a restaurant can afford to leave a descent tip, but only if the service was good. A good tip won't make or break us but it will certainly make their day......

B in Santiago

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Usually, I tip the 5-10%

That being said I don't think it is a good idea to ask the customer to pay the wages for the workers, meanwhile pocketing the 10% mandatory, on top of the restaurant bill, because you know a worker needs to be paid a minimum salary of RD$ 5.575 a month.