Tips for Young Canadian Considering Brief Residency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Hah! I'm not looking for the love of my life right now, but it's an appreciated thought. Perhaps this is an example as to why I shouldn't look for the love of my life while visiting.

Loves comes in many forms and levels. I have DR friends I like a lot. I've had one or two short relationships with DR women and experienced their concept of love. Love shouldn't be the focus of your exploration of culture. The word culture covers a wide spectrum from art to tradition and a lot of esoteric stuff In between. It's something well worth exploring if we are to understand humanity in all its forms. Come down, explore this culturally diverse country and learn new life lessons in the process. If you choose to pursue a career in law, one with a human rights focus, exploring cultures first hand is the best education you can get for that profession.

I've said this before on this forum and I'll say it again. Some of my old friends are dead now and didn't venture beyond their own doorsteps. They died with a myopic view of the world and a lack of appreciation for its diversity. Not a fate I wish to suffer. Good on you for wanting to broaden your intellectual horizons.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I live in Puerto Plata and my opinion is that you can have more of the real culture here then in Sosua/Cabarete/Costambar (all of them great places but a lot more for tourists then for Dominicans)
A campo maybe is even more representative but if you want the comforts of a city and still want to experiance the Dominican way Puerto Plata is a good option.
It isn't as dangerous as a lot of people think.
renting, food, drinks, etc -> everything is more cheap here then in Sosua/Cabarete.
And we also have a large expat-comunity here, even with a lit of people my age or younger.
I second this. If the OP wants to experience Dominican culture, why live in Sosua, probably the least typically Dominican town in the whole country?

Puerto Plata is larger and has more of everything. Rents are much cheaper and other stuff a bit cheaper. It is more convenient for exploring most other parts of the country by bus.

If the OP is here for the sankie-pankies, they are easily found, just not so "in your face" as in Sosua. My neighbours are young female Jehovah's Witness "missionaries". They have no trouble finding a varying selection of tigueres to bring home for Bible study every weekend in the small hours

Jul 28, 2014
If the OP wants to experience Dominican culture, why live in Sosua,

Probably because the OP stated right off the bat she wanted to be in Sosua, not in Puerto Plata:

I would want to rent an apartment in a safe area of Sosua for minimal cost per month as I would like to be fully immersed in the culture and the city life

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
right, i think all the advice that OP did not need has already been shared here. imma gonna close this thread.

marlee, if you have any specific questions regarding accommodation, prices, legal matters, daily life and so on, ask away in new threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.