Tips on how to find real estate.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think he was looking for rental property- may look a bit silly asking can I rent your house, if not for rent

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
The most funny things I've noticed:

- Property always was looking messed up, but if I would take the place they would repair everything! I thought that if you were really that serious about your listing, show it already repaired then!

- Property always was in high demand, they had many people who were interested! So why would you tell me you can lower the price for me, and the best part.. WHY CAN I TRACE THIS LISTING ON GOOGLE BACK TO DECEMBER 2011!?!?

Oooh well, everybody is trying to get that money their own way..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think he was looking for rental property- may look a bit silly asking can I rent your house, if not for rent
More reason why they don't do a lot of work. The commission on a rental is a fraction of a sale.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
I"m exploring houses in Santo Domingo to buy right now, and I *LOL*ed at so many of your posts.

I think cobraboy said it best. These agents just 'gum up' the communication and workflow. Don't let them get in the way. Deal directly with the owners. Walk around or drive around and make phone calls on the signs you see, or just knock on doors.

One thing I'm realizing on the pricing front, you gotta be patient patient patient. We Americans want to 'close' a deal quick here. Speed is definitely not your friend here...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
One thing I'm realizing on the pricing front, you gotta be patient patient patient.

All rentals that we have had up till now, were direct closing deals with the owners. Besides talking to RE agents, we drive along a lot on our own and talk to the locals of that area. Thx for the advice though but we are Europeans, maybe we are a bit more patient then our fellow Americans ;)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

No, not really silly. Everything is for sale here so if we see something we like and it states Se Vende, we are sure to contact the owner and ask if he/she is willing to rent long term.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Mango bajitos abound in the market.....obviously.
Here's some flowers.
Now write me a check.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Bingo. The best way to do it. Banco Popular can give you a list of Appraisers that will give you a close estimate of the value of your property.

I just sold my house, and the Appraiser almost hit it on the money.
We've dealt with a Banco Popular appraiser. Their methodology was EXACTLY the same as the many, many appraisals we've ordered in the US. The only difference is there are few real comps as title/deed registration are much different here...

They found the value of a property was about half what the owner thought it was worth...

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
An "OLDE" Real Estate adage'
"Your house is worth only what someone is willing to pay you for that house"!
Dominicans don't believe that.
CC
So true. Ive seen a house in La Canela selling for $3MRD. It is a 1 story house. The owner is straight up out of his mind.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It's not just a Dominican thing. I purchased some investment property, a end-unit townhouse, here in ATL not too long ago, and well after the crash. Paid about 60k for then-newish construction, 2.5 br, 2ba. Directly across the street, the same model, with the exact same layout and elevation, but in-line and lacking in some amenities, was offered for $150k, the same price as they were originally offered for in 2006.

Some people think the market has crashed, except of course, for their home. Go figure.