To light or illuminate. Alumbrar vs. encender vs. illuminar

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
So alumbrar was my word del día from SpanishDictionary.com. I'm not at all clear what, if any differences there are between it, encender, and illuminar. I would suspect that illuminar is a cognate for illuminate, but am unsure of even that.

Anyone know more?

Thanks

Rob
Not an expert opinion here, but from usage that I've heard, "encender" is used more as in "light the fire" or 'turn on the lights'("prenda la luz" is heard more often here). "Illuminar" is used to as in "shine the light" or "I need more light". Also as in "enlighten me". There's probably other uses, too.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
So alumbrar was my word del día from SpanishDictionary.com. I'm not at all clear what, if any differences there are between it, encender, and illuminar. I would suspect that illuminar is a cognate for illuminate, but am unsure of even that.

Anyone know more?

Thanks

Rob

Alumbrar is a synonym of iluminar it has the same meaning but alumbrar also has other meanings such as to give birth (dar a luz) and it is also used in the sense of to figure out something or shed light on a problem.

Both are more formal usage but you will hear it depending on the speaker and if you read in Spanish you will come across that usage.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Do you listen to bachata at all and if so are you hearing and/or understanding the lyrics?

When I saw your post the first thing I thought of was a song by Raulin Rodríguez- Dame tu querer.

‘Esos ojitos tan verdes, ay, que te iluminan la cara’….

It’s the same meaning as alumbrar in the first line of the verse.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012

Anyone know more?

Thanks

Rob
And in addition to the explanations given by cavok and MP, I'd like to add that encender also applies to other situations:

Encender el auto (turn on the ignition)
Encender pasiones (ignite, provoke, cause)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
And in addition to the explanations given by cavok and MP, I'd like to add that encender also applies to other situations:

Encender el auto (turn on the ignition)
Encender pasiones (ignite, provoke, cause)

Which would you say is more common?:

Encender el carro or arrancar el carro.

I say arrancar el carro.

For example, el carro no arranca cuando hace mucho frío 🥶

Reactions: NanSanPedro

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Which would you say is more common?:

Encender el carro or arrancar el carro.

I say arrancar el carro.

For example, el carro no arranca cuando hace mucho frío 🥶
Arrancar is more forceful like I would like to arranca su cabeza. I had a maid once and I said let's arranca la lavadora and she made jesting motion like she was gonna rip it out of it's spot.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I'd say arrancar is more common here. That's not to say encender el auto is never used.

Car:

El carro = generic word for car in Latin America
El coche= used in Spain

Any other usage is in between.

Arrancar el carro seems more common to me in general in Latin America.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Arrancar is more forceful like I would like to arranca su cabeza. I had a maid once and I said let's arranca la lavadora and she made jesting motion like she was gonna rip it out of it's spot.
I am not questioning the meaning of arrancar. I was inquiring which is more common in Lucifer’s observation.

arrancar vs encender el carro….has nothing to do with which one has more force.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I am not questioning the meaning of arrancar. I was inquiring which is more common in Lucifer’s observation.

arrancar vs encender el carro….has nothing to do with which one has more force.
And I was just posting my thoughts on arrancar. You don't have to be such a see you next Tuesday. You need lighten up maybe there would be more interesting content here.

Reactions: Radical

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Car:

El carro = generic word for car in Latin America
El coche= used in Spain

Any other usage is in between.

Arrancar el carro seems more common to me in general in Latin America.
I've heard auto used -probably in Miami where Spanglish is common. A quick search says it's also common usage in Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile.