Today: against racism, remembering Floyd, demonstration in Parque Independencia in SD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
There were two antagonist groups, one against racism and another described by HOY as "nacionalistas" bickering in Parque Independencia in Santo Domingo until police arrested some members of both.

A lesson learned: if somebody say I am "nacionalista" you know what it means.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
"A lesson learned: if somebody say I am "nacionalista" you know what it means."

No, please explain further. You obviously have an agenda you are pushing this week.

Reactions: Conchman

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
"A lesson learned: if somebody say I am "nacionalista" you know what it means."

No, please explain further. You obviously have an agenda you are pushing this week.
Sorry, we cannot go there.......

Talking about the event, as news, is okay.

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
was that the whole thing? it looks like there's only maybe a dozen people? anyway, this is the Dominican, the problem lies farther to the north.

Reactions: I love Azua

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
was that the whole thing? it looks like there's only maybe a dozen people? anyway, this is the Dominican, the problem lies farther to the north.
A small group of people that think the DR is an extension of the USA, and that everything in its history that lead to the current state (good and bad) is the same for the DR. DR history and idiosincracy? Oh, that's nonesense, according to them. Thank goodness they are a miniscule group, though modern mass media has made some of them more vocal. For the vast majority of Dominicans when what they say reaches one ear, it literally goes out the other ear. Not important.

The police broke off the "protest" because it violated the prohibition on all protests thanks to the Covid-19 situation.

Definitely, what happened in the USA with George Floyd is troubling, but it is a USA issue and it has no sane reason to be exported beyond its borders.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A small group of people that think the DR is an extension of the USA, and that everything in its history that lead to the current state (good and bad) is the same for the DR. DR history and idiosincracy? Oh, that's nonesense, according to them. Thank goodness they are a miniscule group, though modern mass media has made some of them more vocal. For the vast majority of Dominicans when what they say reaches one ear, it literally goes out the other ear. Not important.

The police broke off the "protest" because it violated the prohibition on all protests thanks to the Covid-19 situation.

Definitely, what happened in the USA with George Floyd is troubling, but it is a USA issue and it has no sane reason to be exported beyond its borders.
There is such a thing as solidarity or even acknowledgement that the fight against racism transcends borders.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
The fight against racism is a global challenge.
The higher the population of a country the more pronounced is the racism attitudes....
The higher the population within a city, the higher the possibility of racism.
I grew up in Canada under a cloud of fear that someone would find out that both my parents were Indigenous (Metis').
WE kept it quiet because if known, my Father would have no work; So we were WASP's...even though we were actually Catholic by birth. There was tremendous prejudice where I lived against Catholics, Irish , Indians,Acadian French , African and East Indians...... anybody who was not Protestant,white and English were subject to the bias and prejudice of town leaders and citizens.
My lineage is Irish, French and Aboriginal ....A triple whammy.!!!!
Here in DR I am at peace with my mind about racism.... I am not a racist and I treat all persons with respect and equality
I have worked all over the world in places I never even knew existed when I was growing up.... I was accepted because of my work ethics,Professionalism and especially for results of my work.
I am not naive , but I always wondered what hatred is is embodied within people from birth that makes them feel they are better than others.
It all started with the educators , of my generation in a post WW2 , world.
I find the folk here in the Rural DR a kind and pleasant people ; very giving and polite.

My advice is to leave the problems of North America to the North Americans and do not import such mental deficiencies to the Dominican Republic.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There is such a thing as solidarity or even acknowledgement that the fight against racism transcends borders.
Racist people are out there no doubt.
Where are all of the covid1984 fear
mongers on this forum now who insist
on social distancing?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The higher the population of a country the more pronounced is the racism attitudes....
I grew up in Canada under a cloud of fear that someone would find out that both my parents were Indigenous (Metis').
WE kept it quiet because if known, my Father would have no work; So we were WASP's...even though we were actually Catholic by birth. There was tremendous prejudice where I lived against Catholics, Irish , Indians,Acadian French , African and East Indians...... anybody who was not Protestant,white and English were subject to the bias and prejudice of town leaders and citizens.
Here in DR I am at peace with my mind about racism.... I am not a racist and I treat all persons with respect and equality
I have worked all over the world in places I never even knew existed when I was growing up.... I was accepted because of my work ethics,Professionalism and especially for results of my work.
I am not naive , but I always wondered what hatred is is embodied within people from birth that makes them feel they are better than others.
I find the folk here in the Rural DR a kind and pleasant people ; very giving and polite.

My advice is to leave the problems of North America to the North Americans and do not import such mental deficiencies to the Dominican Republic.

Russ, you said "It all started with the educators , of my generation in a post WW2 , world." That is simply not true. Racism and hate have been around since the world began. Remember that in the pre-civil war USA, blacks were counted as 3/5 of a person. That's just nasty evil.

We see it all the time here in the DR against the Haitianos. Same shit different day and different people. It sucks wherever it is.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

There is racism everywhere. I think the Floyd/BLM protest is so specifically American and I don’t understand it is being “exported” globally. In the DR the racism is different. Here its best to be of Spanish/Italian descent and mixed race is accepted.

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
Russ, you said "It all started with the educators , of my generation in a post WW2 , world." That is simply not true. Racism and hate have been around since the world began. Remember that in the pre-civil war USA, blacks were counted as 3/5 of a person. That's just nasty evil.

We see it all the time here in the DR against the Haitianos. Same shit different day and different people. It sucks wherever it is.

i think the point is that no one is born racist, it's a learned behavior.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
There is racism everywhere. I think the Floyd/BLM protest is so specifically American and I don’t understand it is being “exported” globally. In the DR the racism is different. Here its best to be of Spanish/Italian descent and mixed race is accepted.

Racism is racism, the fact that it manifests itself differently in other places is beside the point. Of course, it will be different in DR than it is USA, different people, different society, different history.
If BLM makes other people aware/conscious of the problem in other places, how is that a problem ?

Reactions: LaVerdadera

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Racism is racism, the fact that it manifests itself differently in other places is beside the point. Of course, it will be different in DR than it is USA, different people, different society, different history.
If BLM makes other people aware/conscious of the problem in other places, how is that a problem ?
I will have to think longer about that before I answer. Maybe I need to research and understand it better.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
With so many places that they could had made the "protest" and yet, they choose Independence Park. Why not held the "protest" where the statue of Abraham Lincoln is located where the malecón meets Abraham Lincoln Avenue? Why not across the street from it, right by the shore? Plenty of safe place there for the "crowd." Alas, that's not the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.