Too many tourists! (No offense)

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I would suggest to stay in Santo Domingo, as few people said here, you can find many areas there where tourists won't go. We lived in Cabarete for 2 years (very small tourist town) and where we lived tourist didn't come, yet we had all the advantages of having power, water and internet

I dont know when you lived in Cabarete, but now its difficult to find a place where tourists dont come. Yes there are places where there are LESS tourists, but they really are everywhere...

I Understand what Matilda is saying though, you might be more comfortable in an area that is somewhat touristy, not only for the electricity and water and such, but also because some people like it to NOT speak spanish once in a while, or to NOT speak with a dominican (im not saying everyday, just once in a while). It's not only material stuff that you will miss, you will also have to get used to the culture, and while most of it is fun, some things are not and you may want to talk about it with someone that understands.. (other tourists)

That said, some people do fine in all dominican areas, but as 'a starter' you might be better off in a mixed area with tourist as a minority, when you are more used to life in the dr, you can always move to an all dominican area :)

By the way, I think just the city of Santo Domingo would be perfect, you basically have everything in one place.

Colombiana

Jun 27, 2008
It's understandable to want to inmerse oneself in the local or national culture of a particular region or nation. That's a very good way of learning and assimilating, if that's what you're into. But tourists, imho, bring along their own particular flavor that makes for an unforgetable experience for thse that crave variety and adventure. To make a good, tasty soup, you need lots of ingredients. I think spending time with the local folks is great but also to, once in a while, meet very different people, broadens your horizon and makes you appreciate your place and time much more so..... Mis dos millones.

Aug 19, 2004
IMO and from persoal experience I would say that the best place to live would be Santo Domingo. The only place you are likely to see tourist would be in the Zona Colonial and the majority of these are only there for a day trip from their AI resort. In Santo Domingo you have a greater chance of meeting like minded people both Dominicans and expats.

The problem with living in a tourrist centre is that you are amongst a transient population which initially may be fine - but there is a big difference between been on holiday and living somewhere.

bachatony1

Aug 8, 2008
Being away from tourists is not my main reason for wanting to live in an area with less tourism. Most importantly, I don't have a lot of money and I want to be somewhere where the cost of living is fairly cheap. Also natives who are used to tourists may assume I have money and charge more. (I hope to fit in as I am African American and learned Spanish from Dominicans in NY, so hopefully, I won't stick out so much) I'm not worried too much about comforts like electricity, Internet (as long as there's a cafe internet somewhere) or cable.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Being away from tourists is not my main reason for wanting to live in an area with less tourism. Most importantly, I don't have a lot of money and I want to be somewhere where the cost of living is fairly cheap. Also natives who are used to tourists may assume I have money and charge more. (I hope to fit in as I am African American and learned Spanish from Dominicans in NY, so hopefully, I won't stick out so much) I'm not worried too much about comforts like electricity, Internet (as long as there's a cafe internet somewhere) or cable.

Then I suggest Cotui...

kat003

Aug 15, 2008
The best place in Dominican Republic

If you are looking for the best place to live in Dominican Republic, i recomend Santiago, in Santiago you will have everything you need near you and, to my believe, this is the most beautiful town. You will have all the best from the city and the quite and tranquility of the country.

Katty

Last edited by a moderator: