Top ten lessons learned during my last 12 months in DR

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Men just dont wear shorts. Shorts are reserved for pajasos and children, and gringos. Thats the saying in the DR anyway. Unless you work on the beach, or its laundry day. Its a culture thing, men dont want to show off the hairy legs!

It took men 20 years to accept blue jeans and baseball caps , wait another 10 years and it will be acceptable.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
Unless you are having a conversation in a whisper, a Dominican will always add their two cents and unfortunately of no use.

My addition would be that Dominicans seem to almost never, ever have a conversation in a whisper. It always seems to be a world crisis being attended to when they meet. Nothing ruins that first cup of coffee on a peaceful morning more imo.

.....Well, maybe two motos flexing there 'muscles' at high speed down the calle...at 8am........but I digress.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Men just dont wear shorts. Shorts are reserved for pajasos and children, and gringos. Thats the saying in the DR anyway. Unless you work on the beach, or its laundry day. Its a culture thing, men dont want to show off the hairy legs!

It took men 20 years to accept blue jeans and baseball caps , wait another 10 years and it will be acceptable.

Disagree... see my earlier post

Oh, that mechanic,,,,, shorts & no shirt??
his feet are perfectly pedicured......... as many men's are
flip flops on the feet

Many men are pedicured.

Overall, a rather clean bunch, IMO

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
My husband will wear shorts here in Bavaro, but never if he is leaving the house in the Campo when visiting his parents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Can we advance this conversation / topic to underwear ??

who does & doesn't wear same ??

rarely in RD , I wear them (ropas interiores)....

also, I need to be careful with that decision on the shorts angle.
sometimes the shorts are too short...

where are the wet boxer shorts contests in Sosua,????
and when ????

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Disagree... see my earlier post

Oh, that mechanic,,,,, shorts & no shirt??
his feet are perfectly pedicured......... as many men's are
flip flops on the feet

Many men are pedicured.

Overall, a rather clean bunch, IMO

How funny you brought this up. In DR, I have two different women who will come to our home for pedicures [I shipped down a massaging foot bath some time ago, and I have all my own nippers, files, etc.]. She charges me less than the tip I give for one in NJ. Mr. AE always gets his done too, but only in DR. No way could I ever get him to come to a nail salon in NJ, although many men do go.

And I agree that the dress code in Santo Domingo is very different. Rare to see shorts there. If you do, it's either a tourist or Mr. AE. :paranoid:

P.S. Just saw your underwear post. TMI WW, hahahaha!

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I think the dress code for cities is always different than in tourist areas and out in the country. I would wear shorts at home in my backyard in NYC but pretty much always change to go out.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Top ten lessons learned during my last 12 months in DR to wearing shorts in your NYC backyard in only 28 posts.

Go figure.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A dozen !!!????

12 out of 20 maybe in my barrio.......

As for the capital, same as NYC..... different dress code

I admit, it depends where you are/live.

The long pants are handy for avoiding dengue/chunky chicky/ zika

Exactly why I wear long pants - avoids bug bites. I see lots of Dominican men in shorts, although the standard dress is jeans and a t-shirt or polo.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Dress code:

Around the house or at the beach, shorts and shirts

Otherwise, always wear dress pants, dress shoes and a dress shirt or a guayabera. Usually with a fedora as well.

CC commented that I look like an upscale Boriqua, Cubano or a Dominican in it once...

Regarding the line thing - just ask for la ultima

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Things are relaxing over time. At the country club lots of folks dress in shorts etc when they come to spend the day with their families to play sports or swim. There is still respect for formality and culture and I kind of like that aspect of the RD.