Tourism collapses 87% in August

Aug 21, 2007
I think some places are renting. I had an August renter who decided to say till mid September. Now another renter has come in through October. And November 1 through March another renter. I am receiving the same rental fees as last year- in fact in the last rental, a little more.

Reactions: Caonabo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not my stars.... they just visit other houses....Orchid Bay

But was surprised at MJ's disrespect

While I'm name dropping Djokovik comes too.... frequently

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
By dropping Covid testing and paying tourists to 'Come on down' by offering Travel Insurance, a resurgence of the Covid-19 will surely follow infecting the entire island and its people. Not until they control Covid-19, will they be able to control the economy. I agree with your optomistic timeline of late 2021.
I am in Boca Chica now and have decided to leave before the onslaught of unbridled tourists head this way. I will spend a cold, hard winter in Canada next to my furnace and nearby hospitals and watch the numbers from there
At least you are not overstaying ;) Welcome back when you feel comfortable, sounds like you are heading into a tough season. There are some here to that do the same, but they use the AC when watching the numbers.

I am staying in Cabarete and despite of wearing a mask at crowded places and the curfew, I am happy but feel for the business owners and people who have a hard time due to lack of tourists.

I go out shopping every day and to the beach and restaurants. Nobody I know about in Cabarete has died of covid, I have heard/read about a couple who have had it and recovered. None close to me or my dominican friends.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sosua is having cases recently - I hear

I left before the election - July 3rd - and returned last week

I too go out daily... mask in public places, distancing.... as do most others
They're better at masks than distance

I feel quite safe... I doubt we'll see much on an influx of tourists
Doesn't affect me in Cabrera.....

The wackiness of the election spooked me and the full hospitals....
Cases are reducing now... hospitals can cope....all better than July

Reactions: ramesses and etolw

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
As we speak Canada is spiking especially Ontario and Quebec where 90% DR snowbirds habitats, lose Europe lose Canada :( not good for tourism forecast:(

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Did anyone have any doubt there would be surges for a very contagious airborne virus?

When asked when things might be "normal" again, an expert on contagious diseases mentioned on CNN when the populations of a country reach heard immunity.
At best he thought that would be about 2 years from now.

But wait, we are being told there is no heard immunity, or is there? Maybe there is, or maybe not. In the best case scenario with a vaccine that works well and enough people willing to take it we are looking at 2 years. I suspect CV19 is here, there and everywhere to stay for a lot more than 2 years.

Reactions: aarhus

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As we speak Canada is spiking especially Ontario and Quebec where 90% DR snowbirds habitats, lose Europe lose Canada :( not good for tourism forecast:(
Canadian Airlines are now covering the cost of CV19 insurance when you use them to fly.

Snowbirds in the thousands contribute a very small amount to revenue compared to the millions upon millions of missing AI tourists.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Canadian Airlines are now covering the cost of CV19 insurance when you use them to fly.

Snowbirds in the thousands contribute a very small amount to revenue compared to the millions upon millions of missing AI tourists.
Where do you think most of those A1 tourists come from?

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario

True , but North Coast is exception to the rule.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario

West jet also is offering it for free as are most in Canada hopefully it helps bring people here be a positive.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
West jet also is offering it for free as are most in Canada hopefully it helps bring people here be a positive.
The airlines are doing all they can to ramp up business but with the 14 days quarantine on your return to Canada not too many people will take an AI vacation for a short time 1-2 weeks. The insurance the airlines are offering is not for snowbirds that want to pass the winter in the DR.

With the 2nd outbreak starting in Canada now I do not think the Canadian government will relax the 14 day quarantine in the near term.
The Canadian government and the provinces are asking the people to limit their social gathering and local travelling in hope that things get better for Christmas holidays.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Second wave is starting to hit Europe and New York is starting to get second wave. I think domestic tourists will have to fill the hotels this winter. The second wave should be hitting the RD in time for Christmas peak in travel does not bode well for the tourism industry this winter