tourist card question :)

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
sweetdbt said:
A little trick for those who travel to the DR regularly and like to save time on entry. Buy an extra tourist card or 2 on your next trip and save it for the future. Although they are numbered, it appears to have little meaning. Next trip, you can have the card filled out in advance and go straight through immigration and customs. A friend of mine has been doing this for years, and has never had a problem with the number being out of sequence with those being sold the same day.
I've never filled out my tourist card. All they want is 10 bucks. Buy it, take it over, show him your passport, let him stamp it, and go. I've seen many of fools fiddling around for a pen, while I just breeze right on through. Do this if you want to save time. You really think someone sits there and looks through every tourist card at the end of the day to make sure they are filled out properly?

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
BigCity27 said:
I've never filled out my tourist card. All they want is 10 bucks. Buy it, take it over, show him your passport, let him stamp it, and go. I've seen many of fools fiddling around for a pen, while I just breeze right on through. Do this if you want to save time. You really think someone sits there and looks through every tourist card at the end of the day to make sure they are filled out properly?

Hmm, good point! I usually have mine filled out (when going on short trips)... I will take my fellow dr1ers advice on this one (for this next LONGER trip) and not stress about it.. just get the card and hand it to the guy... hope for the best!! :p *I'd rather NOT fill in that I will be there for longer than a few weeks anyway... Thanks everyone. :)

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Whether you fill out your tourist card or not, they will still stamp it on the back on both parts plus your passport with the entry date. Upon leaving the DR they will check these dates and you will be asked to pay the "penalty" for your extended stay. Maybe it won't matter so much, if you are just a couple of weeks over, but several months? I think they know now that it can be a source of additional personal income.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The fact that incompetent immigrations officers may let someone in without filling out the tourist card doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It takes less than 5 minutes for Christ's sake! I'm sure it rarely comes up, but the information on the card could prove vital in an emergency, and it is after all your legal documentation for being in the country. How long you are staying is irrelevant, since (as has been posted many times) the penalty for overstaying the visa is minimal anyway.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
snowbird44 said:
Whether you fill out your tourist card or not, they will still stamp it on the back on both parts plus your passport with the entry date. Upon leaving the DR they will check these dates and you will be asked to pay the "penalty" for your extended stay. Maybe it won't matter so much, if you are just a couple of weeks over, but several months? I think they know now that it can be a source of additional personal income.

Several months e.g. under 90 days is a whopping 64 pesos, so that is a slow wway to get rich. They have rules - 15 days or pay more, 2 bucks. I am amazed at the hue and cry over this. Try Australia - you overstay a visa and they come and find you and deport you.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
sweetdbt said:
The fact that incompetent immigrations officers may let someone in without filling out the tourist card doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It takes less than 5 minutes for Christ's sake! I'm sure it rarely comes up, but the information on the card could prove vital in an emergency, and it is after all your legal documentation for being in the country. How long you are staying is irrelevant, since (as has been posted many times) the penalty for overstaying the visa is minimal anyway.

Hola sweetbdt.. Thanks for the advice. The issue for me is not physically filling in the card, as you stated yourself it does ONLY take a few minutes...(not a big deal). I am just a bit concerned about the fact that I do not know what to put in the section where it says WHERE you will be staying --address-wise. I don't know yet...and even if I have an address stating a residence --won't they question me etc??? So, that's why I figured if I left it blank there might be less hassle. I won't be at a resort... so.. not sure what to put. Not huge issues.. just stuff I was thinking about. Thanks again all. :)

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
The Overstay Desk now has STRUCTURE!!!

ricktoronto said:
Several months e.g. under 90 days is a whopping 64 pesos, so that is a slow wway to get rich. They have rules - 15 days or pay more, 2 bucks. I am amazed at the hue and cry over this. Try Australia - you overstay a visa and they come and find you and deport you.

I was very surprised. THEY HAD CHANGE FOR MY PESOS!!!

And not only that, she had LOTS of currency. All different types. My stop at that desk was handled unlike the many, many times I'd been there. its shocked the hell out of me. (SDQ)
TEHAMA

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Be careful.....I hear they are really cracking down on people that put down the name of any old resort and then stay elsewhere!

Seriously, I often have to find lodging upon landing and just put down any Playa Dorado Resort that comes to mind. You are bound to attract more attention leaving it blank.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Lechero said:
Be careful.....I hear they are really cracking down on people that put down the name of any old resort and then stay elsewhere!

What a crock (amazing from Lechero), as if they care, or as if it matters where you stay in the DR. Cracking down on what offense exactly?