Tourist held hostage at Punta Cana hospital

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm not advocating for anyone. I merely said that if the amount to be paid is $100,000 (and nobody has given any other figure), I can see why it could be difficult for her to do so. As keepcoming said, I don't think anyone here is saying she should not pay a legitimate bill.
Not everybody has a hundred thousand USD. That could put a huge dent or even wipe out a lot of retirees' savings accounts.

Reactions: drstock

rey

Jan 2, 2007
What was the outcome of this ? Did he ever get out ? Was he send to jail ?

And by the way is this legal for the hospital to HOLD you vainas y your will if you don’t pay ?

I found this hard to believe

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
What was the outcome of this ? Did he ever get out ? Was he send to jail ?

And by the way is this legal for the hospital to HOLD you vainas y your will if you don’t pay ?

I found this hard to believe

Admit it, you were just looking for a chance to practice saying "vainas". 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Lucifer

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I found this GoFund me. If my translation is correct, she now either owes $200,000 Canadian, or two million Canadian, depending upon a typo or placement of the comma. I am guessing it is $200,000 because that is how much they are trying to raise.

Sylvain Benoit is organizing this fundraiser.

Good days to all I introduce myself Sylvain Benoit, I leave this fundraiser to help my sister Sylvie Benoit who is currently stuck in Hospiten Bavaro in the Dominican Republic and knows a private hospital for foreign tourists. My sister was celebrating her 61st birthday with a friend from May 1, 2023 to May 8, 2023, unfortunately Sunday, May 7, 2023 my sister was sick during the evening dinner and following this unfortunate accident she knows how to transfer from the hotel by ambulance to this private hospital in Punta Cana. When I and my brother Alain learned this sad news to join our efforts to get one of us down as soon as possible to take care of our sister who was currently in intensive care, after several searches on the internet we found a flight for the following Sunday is May 14, 2023 for 15 days and a small furnished apartment a few kilometers from the hospital. My sister either from May 7, 2023 to May 16, 2023 be exactly 9 days spent her time in intensive care and bedridden 24 hours a day; including 24 days alone in hospital in a foreign country and since May 7, 16 they finally transferred him to the second floor to ordinary care. My sister was insured with the blue cross for this holiday from May 2023, 1 to May 2023, 8, following this accident on May 2023, 7 in the evening the insurance companies studied her file from top to bottom for exactly 2023 days. To finally arrive at a verdict dated today, May 22, 29, that my sister was not covered by her insurance policy for this vacation. Now following this negative decision on the part of the Blue Cross we have a debt to Hospiten Bavaro in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, the debt now exceeds $2023,125 Canadian and the costs continue because for the moment my sister is still in Hospiten Bavaro under observation for a period that has not yet been determined. The insurance company then told us that we must hire a private company (ambulance plane) for the repatriation because knows the only means of transport that is eligible for the moment given his precarious state of health to Hôpital Cité de la Santé in Laval where there is already a reservation request for a bed for the Cité de la Santé in Laval. With the costs of Hospiten Bavaro and then an ambulance plane to the Cité de la Santé in Laval, we are currently at an impasse and we must find a solution as quickly as possible so that my sister Sylvie Benoit is safe with her family in Quebec. I know you don't know me and my family, but I put a knee on the ground to ask for your help wholeheartedly.

Sylvain Benoit
[email redacted]

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So now the cost of a private medical flight is required? No mention of what she has?

The debt is now 2023 CDN. (Oh look, that's about 100K pesos! Notice how she wrote the $$ figure of the bill incorrectly but made no mistake with the $200K she says she needs.
Why would it be the insurance company telling her she needs a Medivac flight?

Let me roll up my pant legs, it's getting deep.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
She may need the Medivac flight if health wise she is not able to travel on a commercial flight. Could be many reasons, her condition would not allow her to sit in a seat, needing monitoring during the flight, etc...

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
The debt is now 2023 CDN. (Oh look, that's about 100K pesos! Notice how she wrote the $$ figure of the bill incorrectly

That's a translation error.

It's written "la dette dépasse maintenant les $125,000 canadiens et les frais continus car pour le moment ma sœur est toujours à Hospiten Bavaro sous observation"

Which means:

"Debt now exceeds $125,000 CAD and it keeps increasing because my sister is still under observation [being monitored] at Hospiten Bavaro"

So they claim they are trying to raise $125,000 CAD for the hospital + extra money to cover the air ambulance costs.

I reckon there are many grammar mistakes in the original French, so translation is messed up as a result.

I just don't understand why they don't mention her specific medical condition... and yet STILL expect that people are gonna be donating with such limited information provided.

Reactions: scotia

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
And again, NO ONE in her Family LOVES her enough to SELL THE HOUSE or take out a Mortage to RAISE this Money ??
Its funny when People go to JAIL , Family even jump in to Put up the House..

So here The General PUBLIC is expected to donate and pay for it ALL ?
expecting $200K Dollars from Strangers ( suckers) .. just WOW. the Entitlement of some people .

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Well that clears that up...???
The Gofundme account is requesting $200,000.CDN which would presumably cover her outstanding account with Hospiten AND the cost of flying her home
via a Medivac.
Her health must be very precarious for the insurance company to have made that recommendation.
In all the reports there has been no mention of the nature of her illness.
I did notice in the video that she was super, super skinny.
And now we are hearing that she was in intensive care for a number of days.
Could she have been undergoing some sort serious therapy when she decided to get out of Dodge and enjoy a few days in the sun?
That would explain why the insurance company would refuse to pony up.

Reactions: scotia

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
So now the cost of a private medical flight is required? No mention of what she has?

The debt is now 2023 CDN. (Oh look, that's about 100K pesos! Notice how she wrote the $$ figure of the bill incorrectly but made no mistake with the $200K she says she needs.
Why would it be the insurance company telling her she needs a Medivac flight?

Let me roll up my pant legs, it's getting deep.
I have read the Go Fund me page in French and 4 days ago the debt was $125,000 CDN. I assume that the additional funds are for the air ambulance and additional daily costs until they can get her out of there and /or who knows.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I have read the Go Fund me page in French and 4 days ago the debt was $125,000 CDN. I assume that the additional funds are for the air ambulance and additional daily costs until they can get her out of there and /or who knows.
$75.000 For unexpected expenses? What was her treatment she spent 125k?🧐

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
In the Go Fund Me page it repeatedly talks about an accident. Not a pre-existing condition. This gets more and more mysterious and I feel no temptation to contribute to the fund!

Reactions: Fulano2 and jd426