Tourist Visas, for a residence aplication

tavarez1982

Jun 29, 2012
Hi, I need advise...

I am starting the residence process here in the Dominican Republic... Reason being, I have a small dairy farm business, I want to buy a house in the next few years, plus me and my partner would like me to adopt his son...

I have most of the papers, birth certificate, criminal record check, employer letter, reference letter, contract of purchase for my jeeps and the cows, plus an employee contract for the guy who works with my dairy cows...

Two things I am not sure of....

1) I hear now that an in date tourist visa is a must, but i came in June last year so mine is out of date... Going back to England is not an option.... So what is the easiest / cheapest way to get a new one???
2) Is there a required amount of money that has to be in a bank account here???

Thanks in advance for your advise.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You will need to hire a lawyer to get you through the process. He or she can answer all your questions. There is a lot of threads written about this.

LTSteve

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If your partner is Dominican and you are married it is much easier and cheaper to go for citizenship.

Matilda

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
yet again , wrong information from a moderator. You can hand over the money to the sellers but you do not necesarily have the transfer of the title .As a foreigner , you will have to give all your details , your passport and your address and the Titles Office may elect to do a check on you and through your lawyer they may ask for other identification .But you do NOT need to be a Dominican or to have a tourist visa . Just to prove my point there is one house that has had the transfer on the title pending for more than 3 years in the office of San Pedro de Macoris . And in the capital a transfer is being even longer delayed as an uncle of the former owner cclaims he has the right of entry to the house for his lifetime . So there are a few things you must be aware of and an experienced lawyer is a must

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
yet again , wrong information from a moderator. You can hand over the money to the sellers but you do not necesarily have the transfer of the title .As a foreigner , you will have to give all your details , your passport and your address and the Titles Office may elect to do a check on you and through your lawyer they may ask for other identification .But you do NOT need to be a Dominican or to have a tourist visa . Just to prove my point there is one house that has had the transfer on the title pending for more than 3 years in the office of San Pedro de Macoris . And in the capital a transfer is being even longer delayed as an uncle of the former owner cclaims he has the right of entry to the house for his lifetime . So there are a few things you must be aware of and an experienced lawyer is a must

As a Canadian I own a house in Montego Bay. So I cannot purchase a condo in Sosua without going thru the immigration process and obtaining some sort of status?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005

Yet some more hogwash from someone that thinks he knows something......I have had transfers done in around 6 months, and some have taken up to 8 yrs.......take it easy on those pills man.......I also know people that are waiting for over 6yrs because their experienced lawyer doesn't want to do his job...

Sosua Sonny you don't need residency to purchase a condo in Sosua, or anywhere else in the DR for that matter.......

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
Yet some more hogwash from someone that thinks he knows something......I have had transfers done in around 6 months, and some have taken up to 8 yrs.......take it easy on those pills man.......I also know people that are waiting for over 6yrs because their experienced lawyer doesn't want to do his job...

Sosua Sonny you don't need residency to purchase a condo in Sosua, or anywhere else in the DR for that matter.......

Thanks! :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I forgot to add, a title held up at the title office has nothing to do with you being a foreigner, Dominican, or a resident......nada

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There are no restrictions on foreigners without residency status purchasing real property in the Dominican Republic. Formerly, Decree 2543 of March 22, 1945 and its amendments required that foreigners obtain prior Presidential approval except in certain cases. Decree 21-98 of January 8, 1998 abolished this regulation and established as the only requirement that the Title Registry Offices keep a record, for statistical purposes, of all purchases made by foreigners.