Trace batteries T235 T245

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Agreed... never seen a propane generator success yet.

My friend tried it... flunked

I installed over 60 Generac Propane generators of 25-30 KW throughout the South US for cell sites. They work fine, are quiet and clean, but they need to be checked and maintained, just like diesels. Of course this was when all Generacs were made in the US (now I think China is a manufacturer of the smaller units - so there is that Chinese poor quality issue)
But they don't need fuel filter changes like a diesel and the oil in them does not get dirty very fast.
Gas prices are much cheaper than diesel here.

The knock on propane is the working running hours of a propane generator are generally less than a good diesel (like an Isuzu, Onan or Kubota). But the Generacs have a technology to run only as fast as load demands reducing the RPMs of their motor - which should extend life, as propane runs hotter and faster RPM than diesel.

Make sure to check the oil and that the oiling function is working frequently, (hopefully it is a pressurized lube type)

But for the size AE is getting they can replace it in 8 years, which is likely the life expectancy and sounds like it will run a lot.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are places that sell "fake" Trojan Red batteries. Perhaps Trace International in SD is selling fake ones, or ones that were new and genuine but "old" stock. Certainly, any TRACE batteries they sell are their own private label of some unknown company.

I used to purchase my Trojan T105 batteries from LH International, but recent purchases have been from La Sirena with good results.

https://tracesolar.com/ EITHER MANUFACTURES OR HAS BATTERIES MANUFACTURED FOR THEM AND THEN DISTRIBUTE THEM TO RESELLERS.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
https://tracesolar.com/ EITHER MANUFACTURES OR HAS BATTERIES MANUFACTURED FOR THEM AND THEN DISTRIBUTE THEM TO RESELLERS.

They have certainly gotten a larger product offering since I bought TRACE 225 AH batteries from them many years ago.
I suppose it was not worth the effort for Trace/Xantrex in the US to sue them over the use of the name and their trade mark. Oh well, TRACE does not exist in the USA any more.

As to who makes their batteries, one can only guess unless they care to respond with the makers name.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Gel batteries are more convenient, more expensive, can certainly last longer than wet cell lead acid types, but also in general have lower capacities. I have little real world experience with them.
I had two banks of gel batteries on my sailboat for several years. The only advantages I could tell were they could be mounted in weird non-horizontal configurations, charged more quickly and were pretty much zero maintenance. But they did not perform as well as Trojan reds, the capacity was weak, were at the time extremely spendy, and I ended up going back to lead-acid.

windy said:
I have only known two people with Generac propane generators, and both of them had very bad experiences with them. Neither had them for more than a couple of years.
I had an emergency 14kw propane Northern generator wired into my whole house in FL in case of hurricanes---live with no power in an FL August/September for two weeks and you'd do one, too. It ran an automatic two-hour cycle once a week for three years with no problem. However, it never got put in actual 24/7 use. It was actually a gas motor converted to propane. I suspect a diesel motor would last longer, and since a generator doesn't have to roll anywhere, weight is not that important, and a generator diesel could be made quite stout.

Propane isn't as stinky as diesel. There's that.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I installed over 60 Generac Propane generators of 25-30 KW throughout the South US for cell sites. They work fine, are quiet and clean, but they need to be checked and maintained, just like diesels. Of course this was when all Generacs were made in the US (now I think China is a manufacturer of the smaller units - so there is that Chinese poor quality issue)
But they don't need fuel filter changes like a diesel and the oil in them does not get dirty very fast.
Gas prices are much cheaper than diesel here.

The knock on propane is the working running hours of a propane generator are generally less than a good diesel (like an Isuzu, Onan or Kubota). But the Generacs have a technology to run only as fast as load demands reducing the RPMs of their motor - which should extend life, as propane runs hotter and faster RPM than diesel.

Make sure to check the oil and that the oiling function is working frequently, (hopefully it is a pressurized lube type)

But for the size AE is getting they can replace it in 8 years, which is likely the life expectancy and sounds like it will run a lot.

To clarify: I have gel batteries in my vehicles, and the batteries I bought for my inverter are regular wet batteries for inverters.

And, for what it's worth, the Interstate dealer no longer has gel batteries, supposedly due to the cost. (I paid almost 14K pesos for each one of mine)

When I asked them about running gel batteries with my inverter, they strongly advised against it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To clarify: I have gel batteries in my vehicles, and the batteries I bought for my inverter are regular wet batteries for inverters.

And, for what it's worth, the Interstate dealer no longer has gel batteries, supposedly due to the cost. (I paid almost 14K pesos for each one of mine)

When I asked them about running gel batteries with my inverter, they strongly advised against it.

To date, wet cell lead acid batteries are still the most cost effective for battery/inverter/charger set ups. No surprise you were advised against gel batteries for that application.

Elon Musk has tried to change that by upping the production of Lithium Ion batteries, but I don't think he will reach a price effective goal with his "power walls".

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Interstate certainly makes excellent batteries. They make batteries for many brands that private label them. There are remarkably few battery manufacturers of deep cycle lead acid batteries. TRACE is not one of them, but I have never been able to find out who actually makes those batteries labelled as TRACE.

It depends upon the capacity of the Interstate battery as to how well it will do in the DR. The comments I made about a higher capacity battery being electrolyte starved and not being as well suited for our climate applies.

It was a good idea to decrease the charge rate. It could have been at least a part of the reason for their losing "water" more quickly. High charge rates can cause heat build ups and imbalances in the batteries and decrease their life time as much as deeply discharging them also harms them. Lifetime is dependent upon several factors: charge rate, discharge depth, number of discharges, temperature quality of the design among them.

Gel batteries are more convenient, more expensive, can certainly last longer than wet cell lead acid types, but also in general have lower capacities. I have little real world experience with them.

I have only known two people with Generac propane generators and both of them had very bad experiences with them. Neither had them for more than a couple of years.

I purchased 2 8KW Generac Propane gensets.. Both became unservicable after one year. They burned copious amounts of propane and required constant maintenance.
I was told that we here do not use pure Propane and have high amounts of Butane included.(Not sure about the facts there).
However the Generac requires pure Propane for efficient operation.
Hope others have better luck.... We could never get the Generac Techies to come to our Luperon location to service them.
We used one with each house.... only about 500 hrs on each unit, at most.
Now we do have 24é7 electric from EdeNorte ,,,, selling off the 4200 watts of solar power as well.
The new 4K gas generator ; proved to be more efficient, cheap to buy and operate. Lessons well learned.
Russell

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I purchased 2 8KW Generac Propane gensets.. Both became unservicable after one year. They burned copious amounts of propane and required constant maintenance.
I was told that we here do not use pure Propane and have high amounts of Butane included.(Not sure about the facts there).
However the Generac requires pure Propane for efficient operation.
Hope others have better luck.... We could never get the Generac Techies to come to our Luperon location to service them.
We used one with each house.... only about 500 hrs on each unit, at most.
Now we do have 24é7 electric from EdeNorte ,,,, selling off the 4200 watts of solar power as well.
The new 4K gas generator ; proved to be more efficient, cheap to buy and operate. Lessons well learned.
Russell

Sounds just like the experience of the two people I know of in my development who ran Genelecs. Very short and not so sweet.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
We bought a Honeywell from Pricemart that runs on propane,-it backs up our solar system as we have no other supply. So it gets run on cloudy days and for over 6 years now. Never a problem,- i think one new battery for the automatic start.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Update on charging: I set my inverter to charge at 20% since the batteries were a little warm a couple of days ago.

Even at 20%, my batteries are a lot warmer than they should be. I've turned the inverter off for today to see if they cool down.

I'm guessing my inverter may have a problem.

If they're still warm this afternoon, it's coming down and going to the shop for a check up.

Pularvik, If I'm not mistaken, the Honeywell is made by Generac as well.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
JDJones, it is true that either the batteries are bad or the inverter is charging using the wrong profile (too many amps or too high a voltage setting) or the inverter is not stopping when it should because of a failure as it hits the proper voltage if the batteries are getting warm.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JDJones, it is true that either the batteries are bad or the inverter is charging using the wrong profile (too many amps or too high a voltage setting) or the inverter is not stopping when it should because of a failure as it hits the proper voltage if the batteries are getting warm.

Agreed. The batteries are new and the inverter has had issues in the past so my money is on the inverter.

I'll see this afternoon when I get home. The batteries should be cooled off by then.

I'll turn it back on, and if the batteries are warm tomorrow morning, it's going to the shop.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Agreed. The batteries are new and the inverter has had issues in the past so my money is on the inverter.

I'll see this afternoon when I get home. The batteries should be cooled off by then.

I'll turn it back on, and if the batteries are warm tomorrow morning, it's going to the shop.
They may need an equalization cycle. If the lead plates have a lot of sulphate coating the charger may up the charge causing excessive heat.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
They may need an equalization cycle. If the lead plates have a lot of sulphate coating the charger may up the charge causing excessive heat.

I have an reconditioning function on my Battery charger. If I take the inverter to the shop, I'll do the reconditioning while it's there.

Seems a little soon for that to be happening though. Batteries are only about a year old.