Traditional Southern Cooking in DR??

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Grits and Rice for me are both Sacred "el hombre que no come arro' y gris' es pajaro!! claro!" - Tuberculo Gourmet. (lol). I love me some good ol' mangu y queso frito, pero no hay breakfast like the South. Slow-cooked creamy grits with a little bit of cheese, homemade biscuits, sausage patties, bacon, gravy, scrambled eggs, hash browns etc. How could anybody not like that?

Someone who doesn't want to ingest a whopping 5 000 calories for breakfast ;)

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
There's some reality to the limited palate, but I believe it is more limited to ability to buy more expensive items and the limited availability in the stores.

While we all have our native comfort foods, those Dominicans who can afford enjoy a wide variety of foods.

As for my experience (not all southern dishes), my Dominican friends seem to enjoy whenever I cook...

• meatloaf
  • chicken pot pie
  • brocolli casserole
  • shrimp po boys
  • blueberry pie
  • chili con carne
  • baked beans

Banana pudding with nilla wafers is always a hit here in DR.
Southern style fresh creamed corn has been hit & miss. Some love it, others can't figure out why it's cut off the cob.

Not every story is a success, though. Several years ago when I was living in Alabama, I took a visiting Dominican friend to Cracker Barrel. He wasn't able to enjoy his food as he spent the bulk of his time trying to figure out who around him were members of the KKK. ;)

You know there are a LOT of people that are hesitant about going to Cracker Barrel due to its name. Funny but true. I'm sure I would not be welcomed guest at the next KKK party, (even if I did, I would have trouble finding something appropriate to wear as I dont own that much White clothing - jaja) but I would risk it anytime for some good ol' Cracker Barrel biscuits and jelly. I don't care if you are the Grand Dragon, Grand Daddy or Grand Dummy, you get in between me and biscuits and YOU might be the victim. jaja

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Are you going to serve breakfast, too?

I'd drive all the way to the north coast right now for scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns, buttermilk biscuits, and gravy.

Thinking about, Breakfast would be much easier to do, at least for starting out with. Easier to acquire the ingredients, quicker and cheaper to sell for a reasonable profit. Although I could see selling more of for lunch than breakfast.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
I'm from New Orleans, and a pro sax player. There was an attempt at this several years ago on Maximo Henrique and Lope De Vega, but it didn't succeed. It was too small and too limited and expensive. If you open this, you should have open options of restaurant, and also places where people could buy cheaper items like Poboys, and sell spices and specialty items like Andouille sausage, tasso, maybe different hot sauces that come out of Costa Rica (Inner Beauty was always a personal favorite that I miss). I could help you with promotion and live entertainment, New Orleans style. Good luck and Lezze Bon Temps Roulere!!! (Let the good times roll!)

Thanks for the input manito- Louisiana is one of my homes, and lets just say my people (on one side at least) are out the Mighty 9. Poboys would be a REALLY good idea, my concern would be trying to get REAL French Bread on a consistent basis, I would not want to tamper with Poboys if I could not do it right. But I will definitely keep you posted mi mano. I'm listening to Rebirth Brass Band as I type this.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Grits and Rice for me are both Sacred "el hombre que no come arro' y gris' es pajaro!! claro!" - Tuberculo Gourmet. (lol). I love me some good ol' mangu y queso frito, pero no hay breakfast like the South. Slow-cooked creamy grits with a little bit of cheese, homemade biscuits, sausage patties, bacon, gravy, scrambled eggs, hash browns etc. How could anybody not like that?

Yea, man the dude that dont like that is all out gay. By the by, in Santiago, Restaurante Ole apparently has closed. So if you have the funds there is a facility just waiting for you. I m not sure how trendy Southern cuisine to the local Dominican trendsetters BUT if you make it an authentic Carolinian/Virginian/Louisiana menu, I would be there everyday. Shoot, I d probably have a coronary just from the oven baked mac and cheese, BBQ ribs and peach cobbler.
Hey? Etufe?

*and uhmmm, I am reticent to call them "po'boys"(NO) or "hoagies"(Philly) or "heroes"(Boston). To me they are always called "subs"-submarines...that is definitely a NY thing.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You know there are a LOT of people that are hesitant about going to Cracker Barrel due to its name. Funny but true. I'm sure I would not be welcomed guest at the next KKK party, (even if I did, I would have trouble finding something appropriate to wear as I dont own that much White clothing - jaja) but I would risk it anytime for some good ol' Cracker Barrel biscuits and jelly. I don't care if you are the Grand Dragon, Grand Daddy or Grand Dummy, you get in between me and biscuits and YOU might be the victim. jaja

Or Southern Plantation restaurants, Old Country Buffet, even saw a Ponderosa in suburban Richmond, Virginia.
I m telling you boy, what you want is a combination of the Waffle House in the morning, and then Cousin Clem & Uncle Cletus' Rib Shack over on I-40, 6 miles past the truck stop, at night.

There is a company here that can import meat for you Carne Importadoras, SA(CARIMSA) to the American standard. Just so you dont f' up my ribs with some rangy gristly Dominican toro.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You boys ain't suthren.

Grits need butter and red-eye gravy.

(Did you hear about the country boy that was the first in his family to go off to colige?

He came home and his pappy axed, "Son, talk me some colige."

"OK, Pappy: Pi r squared."

"Son, I done been wasting my money. Everybody knows pi are round. Cornbread are square...")

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
You boys ain't suthren.

Grits need butter and red-eye gravy.

(Did you hear about the country boy that was the first in his family to go off to colige?

He came home and his pappy axed, "Son, talk me some colige."

"OK, Pappy: Pi r squared."

"Son, I done been wasting my money. Everybody knows pi are round. Cornbread are square...")

Easy over egg on top the grits is also permissible, with a slab off hickory smoked ham on the side

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I'd move back for this!

LMAO here in Michigan! You're making me soooo hungry as I get ready to get out of here and on to the gym. A restaurant like this might just entice me to move back to the DR (smile). I missed a lot of stuff when I was living in POP but one of them was NOT grits 'cause I would load up on a few boxes whenever I came back to the US and bring them down with me. At one time, there was a small market on the corner of my street (near the entrance to Coca-Cola) which sold grits. I was in heaven knowing I no longer had to lug extra stuff in my suitcase. Then they went out of business. Further, I'd cook stuff like southern fried chicken/pork chops, macaroni & cheese, candied yams, etc. at home and my husband absolutely loved it all. The only thing I truly couldn't get were fresh greens (collards).

Anyway, I'd be first in line at your opening day with fork in hand. Good luck!