Travel For Dominicans

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not in NY

Danny W said:
On my last visit to the DR I brought my girlfriend and her son to the POP airport - I needed to exchange a rental car. She had never even been to an airport, and was completely thrilled by the glamor and excitement. I can't imagine anything more fun than bringing her to Manhattan (where I live). She'll flip!! I know it's going to be extremely difficult, but it's worth a try.

So - what is step #1 for me to take in NY? I'm determined to make it happen. - D

You (she) would apply for a visitors visa at the US Consulate in either Santo Domingo or POP if they have one. Prepare to line up, fill out forms, and pay a fee and unless she is quite well off (job, property, assets, bank account etc.) prepare for them to say no without giving a reason.

You can offer to sponsor/guarantee her return to the Dr, but they are not too likely to give a visitor visa.

If you plan to marry her then you can apply for a K1 Fiancee visa in the USA and that is about a year or so to process. Then upon arrival you and her get married within, if I recall correctly, 90 days.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
A k-1 sounds great. I assume if the person returns home before 90 days, all bets are off. And yes - imagine a life where a trip to the airport is the height of sophistication and glamour. Well dressed rich people going and coming from all over the world. Last week she moved into her 1st. house with running water! Imagine a walk down 5th avenue. (oh, oh. Maybe I'd better rethink this) - D

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Danny W said:
On my last visit to the DR I brought my girlfriend and her son to the POP airport - I needed to exchange a rental car. She had never even been to an airport, and was completely thrilled by the glamor and excitement. I can't imagine anything more fun than bringing her to Manhattan (where I live). She'll flip!! I know it's going to be extremely difficult, but it's worth a try.

This would be a whole new subject but isn't that what some of us find fasinating about some Dominicans that have never been out of their own country. We get to see everything through their eyes and it all becomes NEW again for us.
I understand the feeling. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Pib said:

Rafael, Spain is part of the Schengen treaty. Getting a visa for any Schengen country is a lot harder than getting a visa for the US.

I must be missing something, because I know a ton of people who have gone to Spain to "work", whom I know for a fact have nothing to show for in terms of property or anything like that. So... how can they get a visa so easily if it is so hard? I don't get it.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
suarezn

Many theories come to mind:

Pre-Schengen immigrants.
Illegal aliens with forged documents.
Got a work contract.
Married a EU citizen.
Had the means to live anywhere they chose.
Etc.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Few countries allow DR citizens without visa

DR passport holders can enter Argentina, Uruguay and Japan (among a few others) without visa.

Unfortunately, none of them is what you would call "weekend-trip" destinations due to distance.

I have been to all three countries. My personal speculation on why these countries don't bother requiring visas for Dominicans:

Japan: Too cold, too expensive. Language too hard, food too exotic.

Argentina: There are literally people starving to death in the countryside, something unheard of even in Dominican Republic, where platanos and habichuelas abound. Also, with the devaluation, Dominicans probably make more money than the Argentines these days.

Bobs

Jan 8, 2002
Dominican workers in Spain

Spain reserved the right to "invite" workers for a specific period to work there. The Schengen treaty allows this because of Spain's special relationship vis a vis South/Middle America. About a week ago a special program was aired on TVE International, showing dozens of (domestic/technical) workers from DR, Peru, Nicaragua. Some of the workers obtained an invite through their contacts with Spanish investors in those countries. Unfortunately, the scheme may now be stopped, as there is a big influx of Argentinians, claiming Spanish ancestral roots, fleeing their country because of the economic malaise there.
Spain prefers its South/Middle-American, hardworking, spanish speaking cousins, to the endless stream of illegal aliens from all over Africa. landing on its beaches on a daily basis, through the narrow strait of Gibraltar.

Rafael, go to the Dutch embassy, ask for the consular officer of the Netherlands Antilles, explain that you simply want your DR girl to accompany you for a definite period of time to the island(s) and that you will be responsible for her return. Show him that return ticket. He has what is called in Dutch "discretionaire beslisbevoegdheid", the singular administrative power to allow your girl to accompany you, if he is sufficiently satisfied that you are responsible for her return. Aruba may be a bit more of a hassle. Good luck...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
PIB: Yeah..I guess there many ways to get into a country. I had heard that Spain had special rules for those countries that were ex-colonies (i.e. The DR), that weren't as stringent as their general immigration rules. I was thinking about towns like Vicente Noble, where half the town is in Spain and more people are leaving every day and thinking that it must not be that hard to get a visa to Spain (I've never tried).

I wonder how all these women who go to Europe to "work in a casa de familia" do it?

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Formosano2000

I absolutely do not believe that Dominicans can simply board a plane and go to Japan. The proof is that they haven't already done it.

Japan is a very nice place, with weather for the main island of Honshu about the same as for N. Carolina.

Japanese society "defines" peaceful - in a class by itself (but not puritanical). There is no concern whatsoever for anyone, anytime, to go anywhere in safety. There isn't even panhandling, as least when I was there a few years ago. Even Finland and the rest of Scandinavia (yes, the Finns regularly refer to themselves as Scandinavians, so do web sites, and encyclopedias) don't compare.

Unfortunately, Japan IS extremely expensive, but that wouldn't affect someone on the dole, anyway.

On a side note, I had an "interesting" time going through emigration on one of my exits from Tokyo. The emigration officer told me that my visa was technically invalid. I apologized and reached to retrieve my passport from him. He held it away from me and said, "No, you don't understand. This is very serious." He then handed me a sheet of paper. It was a confession of my crime, while asking for the emperor to forgive me. I bit my lip to keep a straight face as I read and signed it (while watching my back to ensure that no Samurai swordsman was sneaking up to decapitate me). He then read, yes read, the document and signature, smiled, bowed, and told me that it was accepted. Pleasant memories.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dominicans do not need a visa to enter Japan. Actually several Dominicans are employed in the vehicle parts business and take apart the vehicles. Since there is no direct connection to Japan, they need a visa either to Europe or US, I suppose. Or maybe they could take the route to Argentina, and from there to Japan...

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
No visa needed for Dominicans to enter Japan

andy a said:
I absolutely do not believe that Dominicans can simply board a plane and go to Japan. The proof is that they haven't already done it.

I personally traveled to Japan in Dec/2002 using my Dominican passport and had no trouble entering and leaving the country. I did phone the Japnaese consulate in Santo Domingo before hand to double check.

Of course, I had my round-trip ticket to prove, which they did inspect.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]suarezn[/B] said:
PIB: Yeah..I guess there many ways to get into a country. I had heard that Spain had special rules for those countries that were ex-colonies (i.e. The DR), that weren't as stringent as their general immigration rules. I was thinking about towns like Vicente Noble, where half the town is in Spain and more people are leaving every day and thinking that it must not be that hard to get a visa to Spain (I've never tried).

I wonder how all these women who go to Europe to "work in a casa de familia" do it?
I wouldn't know to be honest. I suppose most of them arrived in Spain prior to 1995. Another good explanation is forged documents. Another thing that's always in the news is women getting "work contracts" as maids and doing other menial jobs when in reality the people who hire them are just bringing them into Spain to prostitute themselves. You wouldn't believe how "creative" people become when they really want to leave.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Tony C said:
Are you really that uninformed? Cubans can't go anywhere without special permission from the Fidel and his band. IF They allowed Cuban to visit any other country in the world the Cubans would be lined up around the Peruvian embassy all over again.

"Cuba is a good choice, not too far and very cheap if you don't mind Tony throwing cyber eggs at you later "

Right Pib. Cheap if you are a hippocritical limosine liberal like Yourself. For me the Price is way to high on my conscience! Shame on you!
Hey Tony, Pib AZB and myself are going to Cuba for Christmas to celebrate, want to join us? They wont even look at your US passport as long as you spend your American Bucks there Bucko.

Come and join us.