Travel Warning

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Scary situation, scary moments, but good experience. The kind of experience that makes me not so mouthy when I know the easy way through a sticky situation is going to be a little tax. I drove from 2004-5 to 2008-9 unaware I was driving illegally, and I did end up in an accident that could have been so much worse for me (moto concho drove into the back of me at high speed, passenger was in a bad way, RD2,000 and I was out of there) so when I have to pay a little tax (very very rarely) I don't sweat it, I could have ended up in jail that day like you, probably for longer, and really, I can do without that kind of experience in my life. I'd rather read yours and use my imagination:nervous:

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
The road block was out again west of Rio San Juan. Friends got nailed. This time they surrendered only 200 pesos. I think these guys have figured out the departure schedule at the Samana airport.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Reading Franks post of experiencing the carcel brings to mind what Pick always says;
The DR is not a "3rd world country" its a "developing nation".
IMO, as long as your safety and human rights are in jeopardy by the by the likes of the National Police, you are still a "underdeveloping country". Many 3rd world countries have fancy shopping areas like Piantini/Naco, this and other new growth infrastructure is supported mostly by the uber-rich families and the small upper middle class (as well the other sources of funds we all know exists). Until the have the law under control?...........