Traveling to Cabarete in September need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Reliable Source

__ within Cabarete town there has not been an increase in crime against gringos. I've lived in Cabarete for 5 years and keep in pretty close contact with the other hoteliers and Politur.
I always believe what the president of the Cabarete Development Association says about crime in Cabarete.
Politur?
Yes, also a good source...

donP

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I just got back from Cabarete and had a blast there. Walking around at night was fine, the beach area is great with about seven to ten good restaurants and bars with seating on the beach. Nearly every night at least one of the bars has a Presendente party. Music and such doesn't start until late. The beaches are nice and there is a lot to do. Because there is a ncie breeze, eating on the beach provides a romantic and fun evening. Lots of fresh fish and such. The excursions are relatively cheap. As far as crime, I didn't see anything. There are tourist police walking around on the beach area. Dominicans like to hang out along the street at night so it can seem a bit scary I guess... Also, you will see a few prostitutes walking around, but the only hastle I got was from people trying to sell you something. They will go away relatively quickly if you are firm and say NO GRACIOUS (No Thankyou). The vendors on the beach will get into trouble if they are found to be hastling everyone. If you see something you like, negotiate and offer a quarter of the price and you might still be paying too much...LOL

angelfish

Jul 5, 2010
Emily, Unless you are an avid kiteboarder, you do not want to waste your time in Cabarete. The sand in brown and the water is murky, like the Pacific. If you are traveling this far for the turquoise waters of the Caribbean, visit Las Terrenas instead since you are on a budget. You can arrive at any airport (Santiago is the least expensive) and just hop on a bus to any destination on the island -- very inexpensive but time consuming. If your are sold on Cabarete, I know of nicer, less expensive hotels in the area. I recommend visiting the entire island. Cabarete will disappoint if you are seeking Caribbean waters and beaches.

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
I've been to Cabarete numerous times with friends. We don't kitesurf. But I have tried windsurfing, horseback-riding, hiking, biking, going on a waterfall/rapelling tour, surfing, gone dancing, met locals, enjoyed watching kitesurfers from the beach, had fabulous food on the beach, etc. It is not the ideal beach for snorkeling although I have seen it appear turquoise on some calm days. The sand is clean - it's not pure white. It's - um, sand colored. The water is not clear because there is generally a breeze and waves.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
OK, first of all, Loriann, you sound like a reactionist gringa. Chill out. I don't have a gun, I don't like guns, and I won't be needing one. Of course we will lock our doors! Anyone visiting a strange place would be stupid not to! We don't plan on doing any night driving, but if we do we will CERTAINLY pull over for police. We're not stupid tourists. We don't drink much....two drinks at most...so we'll never be all incapacitated and asking to be mugged the way many tourists in the DR do. We're not going to be carrying large amounts of cash and if someone wants to hold us up for our $10, we'll hand it over, same as we would do here.

I don't live my life in fear and I'm not going to stay home locked in my house because of what *might* happen. I will take precautions and be smart, it's who I am, but I'm not going to write the DR off as a vacation spot because it's a third world country and has some issues with crime. It's considered a safe place for Americans to visit, the State Dept has no warnings, I'm NOT worried.

3rd of all: Cabarete haters, please just go away. I researched my destination and I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR MY ENTIRE HOTEL UP FRONT AND BOUGHT PLANE TICKETS TO PUERTO PLATA! WE ARE GOING TO CABARETE, PERIOD!

It shocks me that so many people are sooooo obsessed with "white sand and turquoise water". REALLY? I can assure you, we're ok with brown sand, as well as black sand and even GREEN sand (ie Big Island of Hawaii) I used to live in Hawaii and I don't need sugar sand and calm water to be happy on the beach.

We will be taking a day trip to Las Terrenas and/or Las Galenas for snorkeling and beach time. If we love it, perhaps we'll stay a night there instead of returning to our hotel in Cabarete.

The owner of our hotel is going to help us plan trips to some other beaches outside of Cabarete as well.

As far as the water goes, I LOVE waves! The water doesn't have to be clear. My only concern with the water not being clear is that sharks like to attack in murky water. What's the shark attack situation in Cabarete? Anyone been attacked in recent years?

Again, I don't mean to be rude, I do appreciate all the advice you guys are giving, but if your advice is "Don't go to Cabarete", I'm not interested in hearing it. I'm going. The end.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
OK, first of all, Loriann, you sound like a reactionist gringa. Chill out. I don't have a gun, I don't like guns, and I won't be needing one. Of course we will lock our doors! Anyone visiting a strange place would be stupid not to! We don't plan on doing any night driving, but if we do we will CERTAINLY pull over for police. We're not stupid tourists. We don't drink much....two drinks at most...so we'll never be all incapacitated and asking to be mugged the way many tourists in the DR do. We're not going to be carrying large amounts of cash and if someone wants to hold us up for our $10, we'll hand it over, same as we would do here.

I don't live my life in fear and I'm not going to stay home locked in my house because of what *might* happen. I will take precautions and be smart, it's who I am, but I'm not going to write the DR off as a vacation spot because it's a third world country and has some issues with crime. It's considered a safe place for Americans to visit, the State Dept has no warnings, I'm NOT worried.

3rd of all: Cabarete haters, please just go away. I researched my destination and I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR MY ENTIRE HOTEL UP FRONT AND BOUGHT PLANE TICKETS TO PUERTO PLATA! WE ARE GOING TO CABARETE, PERIOD!

It shocks me that so many people are sooooo obsessed with "white sand and turquoise water". REALLY? I can assure you, we're ok with brown sand, as well as black sand and even GREEN sand (ie Big Island of Hawaii) I used to live in Hawaii and I don't need sugar sand and calm water to be happy on the beach.

We will be taking a day trip to Las Terrenas and/or Las Galenas for snorkeling and beach time. If we love it, perhaps we'll stay a night there instead of returning to our hotel in Cabarete.

The owner of our hotel is going to help us plan trips to some other beaches outside of Cabarete as well.

As far as the water goes, I LOVE waves! The water doesn't have to be clear. My only concern with the water not being clear is that sharks like to attack in murky water. What's the shark attack situation in Cabarete? Anyone been attacked in recent years?

Again, I don't mean to be rude, I do appreciate all the advice you guys are giving, but if your advice is "Don't go to Cabarete", I'm not interested in hearing it. I'm going. The end.

You go girl!!!!!

You know what you want and should be complimented for it.

PS. I love waves too!!!;);)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Clever Tourists

We don't plan on doing any night driving, but if we do we will CERTAINLY pull over for police. We're not stupid tourists.

Stopping for police at night?
Little do you know...

vrc0av.jpg

donP

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Well Don, what do you suggest? If we're being pulled over and we choose not to stop, couldn't we be thrown in jail or shot or something? It seems like from what everyone is saying we shouldn't drive ourselves at night...and anyway I don't think we're renting a car at all.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

Emily,
Thanks for saying so well what I wanted to say but restrained myself from writing. Cabarete's a great home base from which to see lots of the north coast, or simply stay near the hotel & enjoy the laid back atmosphere of the town. I honestly believe you'll be very happy with your choice & choose to return like so many do over & over again.

What would really be great is if you'd come back here after your trip & post your personal opinion - good or bad. Everyone sees things differently.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
@cfa123 Thanks! :) And I'm sure I'll have an opinion, I'm a bit of an opinionated person if you can't tell. I'll be sure to let everyone know all the details of my trip as soon as I get back.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Or Something

Well Don, what do you suggest? If we're being pulled over and we choose not to stop, couldn't we be thrown in jail or shot or something?
Depends who tries to stop you.
Most people living here know when to stop or rather not.

I for one, avoid driving at night.
But that's me.

donP

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
@donp

Not driving at night is sound advice that we will definitely heed. It seems that driving at all in the DR can be perilous when you're not familiar with the country, so I think we will steer clear of driving and find other means of transport. Thanks!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sundowners

I think we will steer clear of driving
Hiring a driver could be a good alternative.
Even with your own rented car a well planned itinerary to some of the most scenic parts of the country is hard to beat.

As the old British colonialists used to say,
"Sundowners are to be taken where you stay overnight."

donP

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
there's a good reason why we still live here......

I think whenever there's a question about a particular town you'll get responses from the 'hidden agenda' crew. There's crime, it's a poor country, but Loriann's post is well, BS.

The town is well patrolled by tourist police (not that they are normally required) and hundreds of tourists enjoy the beach dining scene every night and later on, a damn good party. Not one single guest of ours, in walking to and from the town/beach has reported a problem they've encountered with either police, Dominicans or anyone else for that matter.

I would offer the advice not to rent a car if you don't need and if you do need, as others have said, don't drive it at night. Staying where you are, you can walk everywhere anyway.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I would offer the advice not to rent a car if you don't need and if you do need, as others have said, don't drive it at night. Staying where you are, you can walk everywhere anyway.

I'll add, that car rentals can be made in Cabarete when/if you decide to drive somewhere. There's a Avis car rental down the side street next to Banco Progresso in the center of town.

Pay attention from the airport thru Sosua to Cabarete. Use taxis for a day or two... then if you're comfortable exploring on your own, you can rent a car for a day or three. Better to do it that way than have spent money on a car you're not comfortable taking out on the road.

The north coast from Puerto Plata to Samana is essentially one long 2 lane road. It's pretty easy to get from place to place without getting lost... but know things aren't well marked & directions you may be given aren't always accurate.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Change in Hotel

So we're actually staying at Barefoot Beach Pad a little out of town instead of at the Alegria. Just wanted to put that out there in case it changes anyone's advice at all.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Emily,
You're going to be about 3km east of town, I think.
I've seen the sign for Barefoot, but never been in there.
Seas are rougher out there, so watch the currents.

I don't know what they provide in the way of transportation, but unfortunately you're going to need it as nothing is really within walking distance - restaurants, bars, etc. Your options will be private taxi that hopefully someone at Barefoot can call, a rental car, or standing out by the side of the highway & waiting to flag down a passing carro publico, guagua, or motoconcho. As night goes on, those become fewer and fewer.

It may be a fantastic place, but for first time visitor I would've recommended something in town. Doesn't mean you can't have a great time there... I just don't know anyone that's stayed there & I wonder about the trip advisor reports as everyone rates every aspect there a '5'. I hope you can do the same after your visit! :)

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I recently returned from Cabarete and was there for a week. I stayed right in town and did not need a rental car. A taxi is fine if your in town and want to get to Sosua. Everything else, if your in ok shape, is within walking distance. Walking along the streets outside the main Cabarete downtown area is not a good idea at night because there are no sidewalks and street lights. Motoconcho's frequenlty travel without headlights. I didn't think the driving conditions were as bad as everyone warned and would have been fine driving during the day, but I would not drive at night. Overall, Cabarete is a relativey small town with just one main street, with a few restaurants and such off the main road down a few roads (you really have to know about the restaurant, so its difficult for tourists to find). So, the main destination are the restaurants and bars located on Cabarete beach at night. It's not a big deal, just take a taxi back and forth from there at night and leave the stress to the taxi driver. There is a main taxi stand in about the middle of town.

Jim

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Currents

Well, the TripAdvisor reports did weigh pretty heavily into my decision to stay at Barefoot. The only thing people said was negative was that it is a bit far from town, but the owner makes trips into town daily so you can hitch a ride with him, and if we want to do the bar scene I'm sure we'll just take a cab....I heard it's around US$3-$5...? Part of the reason we didn't want to stay in town is we heard the bars can be pretty noisy late at night and some people have had trouble sleeping as a result of this. I'm kind of a light sleeper, so being away from the action when I want to be is important to me. I also liked the secluded nature of the beach right in front of the hotel. Truthfully, it seems everyone on TripAdvisor enjoyed their stay at Barefoot so much because of the personal attention of the owner, and I have to say he has been AWESOME about communicating with me through email and answering my millions of questions. When I read reviews I pay less attention to the ratings and more attention to the comments people leave, because some people will rate a hotel a 5 and then say the staff was a little rude but they didn't mind...things like that. So yeah...thanks for the advice on the currents...the owner, Hector, said the currents out in front of Barefoot are strong enough that he wouldn't recommend children swimming there, but that he's never had complaints from adults. I'm a pretty awesome swimmer, but what do you think? Should I stay out of the ocean there, or stay close to the shore?

Status
Not open for further replies.