Traveling to DR for first time - basic advice needed

Greg81

Aug 12, 2012
Thanks for the info about the bank. Come to think of it, I was in Vegas once and Chase blocked my card because I guess it raised some red flags that I was 2000 miles away buying gas at a Chevron station on Las Veas blvd.

Greg81

Aug 12, 2012
Hillbilly: I'm going to Santiago primarily as a short vacation. Do you think the taxi drivers will understand english?

Dec 26, 2011
Immerse yourself in Spanish between now and then. TV, radio, buy a book or two. Even a modest effort on your part to communicate in the local language will pay off in the enjoyment of your experience. Good luck.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Olly: Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum. I'm going to Santiago primarily as a short vacation. I thought about going to one of the resort areas but they are probably too Americanized. I have always been attracted to spanish speaking countries and I'd also like to get out of the United States for a while. This country can really get on your nerves sometimes.

I don't think you would find the resorts too "Americanized". If I'm not mistaken, U.S. tourists are in the minority with more coming from Europe. This has been what I've found when staying at the resorts... except for "Dreams" which Apple Vacations has a stake in and promotes heavily. Dreams does lean toward being "Americanized", and where I've seen more U.S. guests than from other countries.

That's not to say you should choose a resort over Santiago or any other place. I think that would be a great experience.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I would second the motion of not driving during your vacation. Especially since your spanish is limited. To make a long story short, a fender bender can absolutely ruin your trip, and cost you a bundle. And if a Dominican is hurt, it can get much worse.