Traveling to Santo Domingo May-2016

Troyano

Aug 5, 2015
Hello,

New to DR1 but have read a ton of posts here.

I am planning a trip to Santo Domingo around mid-May (10-17) in order to attend the 2016 North American Olympic Qualification Tournament for the sport of volleyball.

I have a question of advice on hotels. How much of a risk am I taking by spending 40-50$ a night vs. spending 120$ a night in a hotel like Sheraton?
I am young 20s, not looking to stay in luxury but don't want to put myself in a dangerous environment or an extremely low-quality hotel.

I am obviously not familiar with the area, but I am assuming the venue is going to be in Downtown Santo Domingo.
Forgive my ignorance, just looking to get an idea to help me book my ticket and hotel. I'm originally from Florida so my Spanish while not fluent is not that bad. I can understand a lot, speaking sometimes shaky but usually having a conversation goes over pretty well.

Thanks in advance!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are a lot of very safe hotels in Santo Domingo that are not the big chain names.

First thing I'd find out if I were you is exactly where this tournament will be held - it's a big city and you don't want to be fighting traffic jams getting to and from the hotel.

Troyano

Aug 5, 2015
There are a lot of very safe hotels in Santo Domingo that are not the big chain names.

First thing I'd find out if I were you is exactly where this tournament will be held - it's a big city and you don't want to be fighting traffic jams getting to and from the hotel.

Not 100% sure but I believe it is being played at Centro Olimpico Juan Puablo Duarte.

And good to know about the Hotels! I currently live in South Los Angeles which is hardly considered a safe neighborhood. Common sense goes a long way here as I'm sure it does the same way in Santo Domingo.
I also will likely be traveling by myself though.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Wherever the venue and it may be as post #3 , your taxi each way will be under $6 (250rd) from/to your hotel.

If you want to be in walking distance of what one would call downtown with the malls, cinemas and restaurants (Churchill/Lincoln) and be in relative safety, then for about $80 with taxes and breakfast included you can stay at the very decent Weston Suites on 27th Febrero.

If you want to be in the so called tourist zone in Zona Colonial/Malecon, your choice is unlimited at whatever budget. The area is patrolled by tourist police but on it's margins is not the best place to be out after dark if new to the place.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If it's at Centro Olimpico, that's out on 27 de Febrero and Maximo Gomez. I'm not very familiar with that area hotel-wise, but I'm sure there are others who can tell you which hotels are near there, or which hotels would be easy traveling distance.

PS. The Westin Suites that ju10prd recommends in the above post is on the same road, down by Nunez de Caceres I think [several miles to the west of the Centro Olimpico], but there are publicos that travel up and down 27 de Febrero at all times. Cheap and easy transportation

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If it's at Centro Olimpico, that's out on 27 de Febrero and Maximo Gomez. I'm not very familiar with that area hotel-wise, but I'm sure there are others who can tell you which hotels are near there, or which hotels would be easy traveling distance.

PS. The Westin Suites that ju10prd recommends in the above post is on the same road, down by Nunez de Caceres I think [several miles to the west of the Centro Olimpico], but there are publicos that travel up and down 27 de Febrero at all times. Cheap and easy transportation

Weston Suites is between Churchill and Lincoln so very close distance wise. Barcelo would be nearer but more costly.

Stayed at Weston many times and good value for money and super comfy big room and beds.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Troyano

Aug 5, 2015
You guys are awesome. Very helpful information. A roundtrip flight + 7 day stay at Weston comes out to a little over $1,000 USD.
Not too bad. The same package at Sheraton and Crowne Plaza goes for $1,800-over $2,000.

Really appreciated!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you do stay on 27 de Febrero and decide to walk around, keep in mind that pedestrians do not have priority. Turn your street smarts on high and you should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Troyano, if you zoom in on the map link I gave you in post #9, and search up Churchill Avenue (equally Lincoln), you will find all the eateries you may want plus Acropolis and Blue Mall as well as Plaza Central. There is a video on another very recent Santo Domingo thread giving you a birds eye view of Churchill Avenue too to give you a feel for the location.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If you do stay on 27 de Febrero and decide to walk around, keep in mind that pedestrians do not have priority. Turn your street smarts on high and you should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

Pedestrian lights at Churchill and Lincoln. But now with the pedestrian walkway in the central reservation over the subway it is very easy to cross both carriageways at the designated openings. Even easier when the traffic is at a standstill which it is between the two main avenues at peak times. lol