Travellers cheques or cash?

emendoza

Mar 16, 2004
Traveler's Checks

If I remember correctly, you have to sign all checks at the time you purchase the checks and then sign again in front of the vendor so they can make sure the signature matches the original signature. Since the bank acct. the $ will come from will be with my new name, my bank may not allow me to use my old name. Maybe I'll just drag my husband to the bank & put them all in my husbands name to be safe.

I'm going to ask this on the travel chat as well (sorry, I found this string & thought I was on the travel board--I'm a rookie). This is a good general travel question that a friend of mine is also struggling with in preperation for her European trip.

Good advice about photocopies. If I go to the same place, I'll do that. Thank you!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Use Whatever Name You Like at the Bank

You have ID in your maiden name tell them simply that's the name for this transaction. They don't often monitor the completion at the teller anymore, AMEX doesn't even make them ( but DON'T lose them unsigned). Sign them Scrooge McDuck if you have his passport if you like, I say.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not to worry

emendoza said:
my bank may not allow me to use my old name.

You can take them without signing any at all. Nobody monitors your initial signing.
It's like Rick says. Sign them Scrooge McDuck, as long as that's the name in your passport.

emendoza

Mar 16, 2004
My bank usually makes me sign them before I leave the teller. I'll just use my husbands name.

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
Travellers cheques, as opposed to cash

Some recent thoughts on travellers checks, ATMs etc... would be much appreciated. What are people's most recent experiences? Getting ready to visit.

Thank You

bcmike said:
Given the ever changing devaluation of the peso, are cambios still readily accepting travellers cheques, as opposed to cash, or does it not make a difference right now? I don't want to spend hours in a banco trying to cash my cheques if that is not the case.

Last edited: