tropical storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Guapa

There is no need to be so sarcastic, I was asking a general question. I know there was much suffering on the island and I am truly sorry about that but it is hardly my fault that I happen to be going on holiday there and wanted to be prepared. I have never been before and do not know what to expect. I take it you are american with a name like that!!! Typical[/quot

Welcome to DR1 Linny--sounds to me like you could use a vacation.
Sit under a nice shady tree, chill out and enjoy.

Juan (aka as John but don't like to use my American name)

Last edited:

ecco

Nov 7, 2007
Hello I was wondering if anyone can help, I just booked a trip for jan. I wanted to know how much damage was recieved during the recent hurricane. I am staying at the Occidental Grand????

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hello I was wondering if anyone can help, I just booked a trip for jan. I wanted to know how much damage was recieved during the recent hurricane. I am staying at the Occidental Grand????

For damage received during recent tropical storm please read this thread & look at pics & videos which start on page 7 (I think):
http://www.dr1.com/forums/weather-beyond/68188-tropical-storm-noel.html

Or were you just asking about the Occidental Grand? In Punta Cana or Playa Dorada?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
theres a lot of hostility to holiday makers around

If this is geared to me, I was hoping to get the question clarified. The poster did not ask about hotel damage specifically, but 'damage'. If they were asking about a hotel, we need to know which one. And in any event on the thread linked they will see several statements about no hotel damage. So that thread answers both the question they asked and the one we might think they are asking. Where's the hostility in that?

Seeing hostility where there is none is likely to provoke.............hostility. :cheeky:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There have been hints of controversy on this matter in a few threads, so let's just hang it out in the open.
Some people feel that tourists coming here should be more concerned about the plight of some poor Dominicans who were wiped out by the storm, and less concerned about their vacations.
Then there are others, like myself, who feel that one has nothing to do with the other, that tourism is the #1 industry in this country and that we need it to survive, and that we should do all we can to appease those who are asking about their resorts/destinations.

One poster in another thread, went so far as to tell a newbie off for asking about his/her resort in Punta Cana, and that the newbie was being insensitive to the needs of the country.
Wel..... Guess what...
The people asking, are merely tourists.
It's not the Red Cross volunteer group calling.
They are simple tourists in dire need of a vacation and they should not be harassed, or pressured, IMHO.

Alienating tourists is not going to help the cause.

N

naturelover

At least we agree on something........lol...by the way I wonder what happens to all the out of fashion clothes that they sell in the stores in santo domingo.....they probably shred them rather than give them away

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
At least we agree on something........lol...by the way I wonder what happens to all the out of fashion clothes that they sell in the stores in santo domingo.....they probably shred them rather than give them away
No way would they shred them, in fact, Dominicans are way less wasteful than folks where I come from.
They make use of almost everything and anything.

linny1

Nov 7, 2007
Thankyou to everyone here that replied, what a lovely bunch of people you are and I am very much looking forward to visiting the Dominican Republic.

Lin x

gibbs

May 31, 2005
There have been hints of controversy on this matter in a few threads, so let's just hang it out in the open.
Some people feel that tourists coming here should be more concerned about the plight of some poor Dominicans who were wiped out by the storm, and less concerned about their vacations.
Then there are others, like myself, who feel that one has nothing to do with the other, that tourism is the #1 industry in this country and that we need it to survive, and that we should do all we can to appease those who are asking about their resorts/destinations.

One poster in another thread, went so far as to tell a newbie off for asking about his/her resort in Punta Cana, and that the newbie was being insensitive to the needs of the country.
Wel..... Guess what...
The people asking, are merely tourists.
It's not the Red Cross volunteer group calling.
They are simple tourists in dire need of a vacation and they should not be harassed, or pressured, IMHO.

Alienating tourists is not going to help the cause.

Spot on!!:bunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.