Trujillo’s House on Playa Najayo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Trujillo’s home on his personal beach at Playa Najayo in San Cristobal. Our home is nearby, many of our neighbors remember him well.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Trujillo’s home on his personal beach at Playa Najayo in San Cristobal. Our home is nearby, many of our neighbors remember him well.

There are a lot of really interesting places to visit in the San Cristobal area.

The Casa de Caoba, the old Central(spooky knowing all that happened there) and it's house with a live in guard who has been there forever, The Engombe ruins among others. I've visited all of them more than once. It's a interesting history.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlterEgo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What do Mr. AE and his family think of Trujillo? Were they supportive of him?
Not a lot of love lost there. Mr AE’s grandparents owned a large farm where Centro de Los Heroes, La Feria, Childrens hospital, etc is now. Trujillo appropriated it in 1950s. Mr AE was born on that property and grew up playing there until it was taken. He often went to Playa Najayo as a boy when Trujillo was in that house. I’d say he misses the law and order that existed, but not much else.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's said that there used to be a rug in the shape of an American flag as another sign of Trujillo's appreciation and admiration to the United States, the country who's army made it possible for him to go up the ranks and take control of the country. Other actions that denotes admiration of Trujillo for the USA are many including naming the malecón of SD (which he built) George Washington in honor of the first US presidents and naming the current avenida Caamaño and previously avenida del Puerto as avenida US Marines (he also built that road and that was its original name until the fall of Trujillo). The Star Spangle Banner and Trujillo were definitely very close.

The giant obelisk in the malecón before it had the murals looked very similar to its original self. That obelisk was built by Trujillo too and despite somewhat smaller, it looks identical to the Washington Monument in Washington DC, which was built first. No connection is made between the Washington Monument obelisk in Washington DC and whether it was an influence on Trujillo's decision to build a similar one in SD, right at the end of George Washington Avenue. The irony of it all.

I forgot the nsme of the US military guy, I think he was a general, that said that he likes Trujillo because he thinks like a marine. That was after Trujillo became dictator of the country.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
AE replied on MR. AE’s view and many Dominicans share the same view.
What are you saying Carlos? What my reaction was about is that Ole Leo was a rapist and murderer. Did he not have minors sought out for his own personal pleasure? Maybe many liked the "law and order", but not in the name of all the young girls violated and untold murders/assinations ordered out of the mouth of a ruthless dictator that terrorized this country for many many years. IMO.

Adding and i was replying to user SanPedro who asked if they were supportive of him. Not replying to AE

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
What are you saying Carlos? What my reaction was about is that Ole Leo was a rapist and murderer. Did he not have minors sought out for his own personal pleasure? Maybe many liked the "law and order", but not in the name of all the young girls violated and untold murders/assinations ordered out of the mouth of a ruthless dictator that terrorized this country for many many years. IMO.

Adding and i was replying to user SanPedro who asked if they were supportive of him. Not replying to AE

Leo?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I know a few older folks who miss the days when they could sleep with their doors unlocked. Apparently street crime was very low during his time in power.
That's kinda why I asked the question. I know Mr AE is older than I am and would have some experience living as a kid un Trujillo. Then of course his parents and grandparents, uncles and aunts would all have voiced their opinion when he was younger. I didn't know about the appropriation of their house. That sucks royally. But it's kinda like Mussolini, he was an asshole but he made the trains run on time. Go figger.

• Angry
Reactions: Tamborista

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hey I have my take on things. All folks have their take on the issues. Some choose to sell out their freedom in the name of law and order. It is visible everyday. There are national leaders throughout history and today that rule by fear of death etc. Dictators have a knack of running a tight ship, clearly. Ole Leo (Trujillo, i meant JD Jones) sure did. And he committed atrocities on his own people. Rape, murder, theft. So some may have lined up behind him. Some didn't like having their 15 year old daughters raped.

At any rate, to each his own. That's just my take on the old dead bastard!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A little diversion -
Trujillo's son went to summer camp in Algonquin Park Canada in the 50's - Camp Ahmek on Canoe Lake

I was there

Imagine - from DR to Algonquin Park !....in the '50's !!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hey I have my take on things. All folks have their take on the issues. Some choose to sell out their freedom in the name of law and order. It is visible everyday. There are national leaders throughout history and today that rule by fear of death etc. Dictators have a knack of running a tight ship, clearly. Ole Leo (Trujillo, i meant JD Jones) sure did. And he committed atrocities on his own people. Rape, murder, theft. So some may have lined up behind him. Some didn't like having their 15 year old daughters raped.

At any rate, to each his own. That's just my take on the old dead bastard!
Do you think there are more rapes, murder and thefts now or when Trujillo was in power?