Two different airlines

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Does anyone know if I can book a one way departure ticket to DR on one airline, and book the return ticket one way on another airline and have them both in my posession when I arrive? Will customs or the airlines have a problem with that? Has anyone who is not a resident ever done that?

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Recently I came several times with Jetblue from JFK to SDQ and went with AA to Miami without any problems.
Only once I?ve been asked to show them the return ticket.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I have been comming to the D.R. thru Santo Domingo and Punta Cana for over 15 years and do not recall ever being asked to show a return ticket. With electronic ticketing and check in I'm not sure you even could. If that rule is still on the books your airline might require it just to cover their own a**.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Dominican immigration will certainly not ask for it even though its technically required, but the airline might ask you if you are also a DR citizen or resident if you do not have a return flight with them. You should show them the confirmation from the other airline for your return flight and you should be fine.

Buried deep in JetBlue's website is their policy on the issue:

US Citizens traveling to the Dominican Republic

Proof of return or onward travel is required at check-in. Failure to provide such documentation will result in denied boarding.

Passengers exempt from providing proof of return or onward travel are:
-Customers traveling with a B1/B2 visa who may travel one way
-U.S. citizens born in the Dominican Republic
-Foreign minors traveling with parents who are Dominican nationals.
-Legal residents of the Dominican Republic traveling with a valid re-entry permit.

Reactions: FernieBee