Types of Rum Available??

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Not to insult anyone at all, but my favourite drink is Bacardi white rum and pepsi. From some of the different sites reading about the D.R. I have read about the wonderful rums avail in D.R. but mostly they refer to gold or amber coloured rum. Unfortunately, these types of rums seem to not agree with me. My question to you people is whether or not white rum is avail to purchase on the island. If not, I can get it at duty free when leaving Canada.
I know, I know, you are all probably thinking......what??? why would she want Bacardi white rum, when this island has wonderful rum everywhere.
Sorry, but......I do try other types of drinks, but my main stay is Bacardi white.

Thanks for the info.
Mmmmmmmm, maybe a rum and pepsi would go good now, as I am dreaming of being there in only 6 more sleeps!!!!!!!:classic:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I am with you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ron Brugal Blanco,,,,,,,,,it is ok........but not the same as Bacardi

DEV

Dec 1, 2005
Speaking of rum, does anyone know if "Havana Club" rum is available in SD?
Don V

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
All brands comes dark or white here as well...i.e Brugal, Barcelo, Siboney etc etc.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
After reading another DR1 thread about rhum, I bought a bottle of Siboney "red label", and was really pleased with it.
I am usually an ayatolah of Rhum Barbancourt 5 stars on the rocks.
But, yes that red Siboney was great on the rocks, and quite inexpensive to buy...
Try it...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Your choice of rum, just like any other type of spirits, depend on what you drink it with (i.e., mix), and who you are drinking with. Take vodka, for example, the cheaper brands, like Kulov or Stolichnaya are great for mixing, but a more expensive brand, like Absolute or Koskenkorva, would turn a screwdriver, and even a bloody mary into an umpalatable aromatic mess. And don't expect to inspire much respect sitting at a fancy bar with a bottle of Goldenbarr or Wodka Barowa.
Rum works the same way, expensiveness inspires taste, and some people even resort to the old trick of putting the contents of a cheaper brand into an empty bottle of a prestigious brand. One of my favorite drinks is freshly squeezed grapefruit juice with a pinch (or two, or three, go on, until I say stop ;-) of Barcelo A?exo rum (the one in the square squat bottle, popularly known as 'pitufo'). However, you won't catch me dead sitting on a bar stool ordering this drink, I would say something to the tune of, 'Hey bartender, serve me a drink from that bottle of 30 year old Ballantine scotch, better make that a double...

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Mega, to answer your question, yes you can buy Bacardi White in DR, depends on where you'll be. For the most part you can find it in most of the large supermarkets, ie Nacional, Sirena etc.
Also, many of the larger liquor stores carry it also. If you're looking to buy it at a Colmado or inside of a resort, you'll be out of luck.

You can always bring a bottle or two from duty free.

roca

Jun 23, 2003
First of all, and not to offend, Bacardi White Rum is not rum by any carribbean standard. Having said that, all the 3 B's, Barcelo, Brugal and Bermudez produce white rums. Brugal's is not my first choice, Bermudez's white rum has been the traditional white rum in this country (not their Palo Viejo brand) but they have fallen behind in production and distribution which means if you find a bottle most probably it would have been sitting in the shelf for a very long time and rum does not age in the bottle. Barcelo makes a regular white rum like Brugal and Bermudez. All these regular whites are aged for a year by law, compared to Bacardi's white that is not aged at all. But if you really want a nice, smooth, premium aged white I recommend you get yourself a BARCELO GRAN ANEJO BLANCO.
Hope that helps.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Must Have...

If you were starting a collection of rums from around the world, which ones would be on your must-have list? I have several friends who travel to Central and South America regularly and have agreed to bring me two bottles(one to drink, one to save) of whatever spirits I request. Any input from posters with hands-on experience will be appreciated. I'll be in Cancun next week and would like bring back some new spirits to add to my modest collection.
Thank you all,
Carlos

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
2dlight said:
If you were starting a collection of rums from around the world, which ones would be on your must-have list? I have several friends who travel to Central and South America regularly and have agreed to bring me two bottles(one to drink, one to save) of whatever spirits I request. Any input from posters with hands-on experience will be appreciated. I'll be in Cancun next week and would like bring back some new spirits to add to my modest collection.
Thank you all,
Carlos
If you are going to cancun you can scoot over to "Cozy-Mel" for a day and go to the Havana Club downtown on the water (if the hurricane didn"t get it)
cuban rum and cigars - great place.
Have a mojito for me...:beard:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Thank you...

Luis, K-Kidd and Bob for the links and suggestions. I will make a brief report on what I find when I return. Salud!

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
For my money, the best white rum out there is 10 Cane, from Trinidad. Its made from sugar cane, not molasses, and its from Moet Hennessy. You can get some info on it from www.10cane.com. I highly recommend it.

My other favorite sipping rum is a dark rum, Planters Gold 'Pyrat Reserve' from Anguilla. This puts most single malt scotches to shame in its complexity and smoothness.

The Plantation Rum Old Reserve from Venezuela is also top notch, although all the Plantation Rums (they have a Jamaican, Barbados, Trinidad, and others) are great. The Saint James from Martinique, or the Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum from St. Croix are also terrific. And lets not forget the Anniversario Pampero from Venezuela, the one that comes in the leather pouch!

Finally, the Ron Flor de Cama from Nicaragua (www.flordecana.com) has a number of terrific rums, the 7 year old being a very reasonably priced great tasting rum, but their 'Anniversario' either 12 year of 20 year are both delicious, although a bit more expensive.

There's so many other great rums out there, and part of the fun of traveling to the Caribbean is trying each island's particular distillery. I highly recommend "The Complete Guide to Rum" by Edward Hamilton as a terrific resource on all the rums of the world, or www.rumshop.net is also an excellent resource, with archives of the magazine with tasting notes, recipes, and the like. Happy sipping!

vico

Jan 26, 2006
www.vico-real-estate.com
Hi Mega,

Bacardi is quite nice but, comparing to Barcelo Imperial ....hmmmmm.....
Try it out! If you can afford, buy the 21 year old, simly the best in Rum

Greetings from the Dominican Republic