U.S. Ambassador allegedly stops newspaper from entering official event in retaliation

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
It's the DR for cripes sake. Jeesm crow. It's not an A level posting. Trinidad, Bahamas, Andorra, suriname. wgaf? Just like DR. It's not Japan, Mexico, Canada, UK, France, Japan. They count. DR pfftt.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are far afield now.....and no I do not claim to have a monopoly on information in this matter....but Mauricio's point below is a good one.

He blares (sic) how corrupt the country is. Even though it's true, it's not his role to scream it from the roof tops. He adds that those who don't agree with him shouldn't ask him for a visa to the USA. That's not his role!

From the FSO (foreign Service Officers) handbook;

"You’ll also need to learn the etiquette and customs of your host country and be polite, tactful, and patient."

Someone has to take the high road and act professionally....at a minimum you would expect it to be the ambassador.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

i hear you about the whole high road thing, but i have a different approach to that. respect is earned. if you elect to act like a moron, sometimes it will come back to bite you. those of us who have raised children know that there comes a point where tough love has to enter into the fray. since some of these guys do not have a penchant for civilized and dignified behavior, maybe someone has to step up top the plate and kick them in the teeth, or they will never learn what civilized behavior is. learning is a process, and sometimes it comes replete with hard lessons.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's the DR for cripes sake. Jeesm crow. It's not an A level posting. Trinidad, Bahamas, Andorra, suriname. wgaf? Just like DR. It's not Japan, Mexico, Canada, UK, France, Japan. They count. DR pfftt.

Counted enough to be invaded twice. Counts enough to interfere with Drug interdiction, defense issues...etc.

Oct 11, 2010
The baseball event was obviously not a private party, the LGBT gathering in his pool likely was, but they published the picture on it themselves. Then don't complain when the country's leading newspaper picks it up and publishes it.

This is an interesting observation. I have just one question, who's complaining? The ambassador is not complaining, the embassy is not complaining, NOBODY is complaining about Diario Libre publishing the picture, NOBODY. Or did I miss something?

Not one single comment, not one single quote, NOTHING, ZERO in the seven months since Diaro Libre, this austere bastion of journalistic excellence, decided to publish their "objective" article about how the United States Ambassador to the Dominican Republic celebrates the "mes de igualdad". The ambassador, the embassy, the ambassador's husband didn't COMPLAIN, didn't post on Facebook, didn't write hyperbolic editorials in the newspapers, NOTHING.

So now the ambassador hosts a cocktail reception at his residence for "Baseball Cares" a joint program between USAID, MLB, and MLBPA, and not an "OFFICIAL embassy activity" despite what our latest Dominican apologist, Virgo, would have us believe with his incessant capitalization of the word "official". And although it is largely a matter of semantics, the cocktail reception was a cordial presentation of the program and some of it's sponsors, that's it.

And guess who's knocking at the ambassador's door? Diaro Libre. So what does the ambassador do? Exactly what most people would do to the ONLY newspaper or media outlet that felt the need to publish Facebook pictures of a personal celebration in an article of very questionable journalistic value. He decides FUKC these guys, they want to come to eat shrimp and drink Johnny Walker Blue and get to rub elbows with David Ortiz and other famous Dominican baseball players all at my cocktail reception. Sorry, not happening. You're going to have to "sit this one out."

That's it. After all it wasn't a "state dinner" or a conference on Dominican-American relations in the 21st century. It wasn't a conference on the U.S. embassy's Visa policies in the Dominican Republic. It was an informal cocktail reception announcing a USAID/MLB/MLBPA program. Diaro Libre's team of freeloaders (reporters) weren't allowed into a cocktail reception hosted by the ambassador, in the ambassador's own residence, with the ambassador's invited guests, and presenting a program that the ambassador supports and recognizes. What did these idiots expect, valet parking and white glove service? GTFOOH.

And now who's complaining?

Not even ONE day after the cocktail reception Diaro Libre publishes an article about how they were "punished" for publishing the article referencing the ambassador's pool photo seven months ago. And the Diario Libre director, Adriano Miguel Tejada starts citing censorship, freedom of the press and invoking dramatic references to the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. And now more of the Dominican press joins in with more hyperbole and grandstanding. Please, leave the cheap showmanship for the stage shows at the "All-Inclusives".

Here, is the perhaps painful to some, truth of the matter. That while the ambassador's decision not to allow Diaro Libre's freeloaders (reporters) into the cocktail reception may not have been diplomatically prudent, he was well within his rights. And in the broad spectrum of much more serious and pressing diplomatic concerns, it means absolutely nothing. And while the thought of an ambassador here in the Dominican Republic being a homosexual may be grotesque and incomprehensible to some, he isn't going anywhere. Diario Libre feels slighted because they weren't allowed in, tough shlt, grow up and get over it. They rolled the dice and took their chances, move on. The stark reality of the situation is that with the exception of certain sanctimonious hypocritical crybabies in the Dominican Press and a very few others, some of whom post right here on DR1, nobody cares.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I wonder if this bone head couple would get this much attention if he and his misses were both female?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NY-DR

nice work.........

Officials have private lives.....
The Ambassador decide to give the scoop to others.

Watch him do more of that..... everybody has a favorite reporter.

Maybe DL didn't send a gay reporter .....???? and the others did...........
hahaha... kidding, just kidding

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
This can't be a completely private event if USAID is involved. If it was him, MLB players, and the player's association, then I'd say yes.

USAID is a U.S. government agency. They are funded by congress using taxpayer dollars.

While this so called "controversy" is nonsense, I wish USAID got more press coverage.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe as private as a public official can be...

can we parse 'private' & 'public official' ??
Might get murky..........

Oct 11, 2010
This can't be a completely private event if USAID is involved. If it was him, MLB players, and the player's association, then I'd say yes.

USAID is a U.S. government agency. They are funded by congress using taxpayer dollars.

While this so called "controversy" is nonsense, I wish USAID got more press coverage.
USAID was absolutely involved. And they DEFINITELY should get more press coverage. They do some great things right here in the DR.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
USAID was absolutely involved. And they DEFINITELY should get more press coverage. They do some great things right here in the DR.

The acronym USAID traumatizes me. My first vehicle in the country (in 2001), was a Ford Explorer bought in an auction at the USAID. Worst vehicle I've ever had.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is an interesting observation. I have just one question, who's complaining? The ambassador is not complaining, the embassy is not complaining, NOBODY is complaining about Diario Libre publishing the picture, NOBODY. Or did I miss something?

Not one single comment, not one single quote, NOTHING, ZERO in the seven months since Diaro Libre, this austere bastion of journalistic excellence, decided to publish their "objective" article about how the United States Ambassador to the Dominican Republic celebrates the "mes de igualdad". The ambassador, the embassy, the ambassador's husband didn't COMPLAIN, didn't post on Facebook, didn't write hyperbolic editorials in the newspapers, NOTHING.

So now the ambassador hosts a cocktail reception at his residence for "Baseball Cares" a joint program between USAID, MLB, and MLBPA, and not an "OFFICIAL embassy activity" despite what our latest Dominican apologist, Virgo, would have us believe with his incessant capitalization of the word "official". And although it is largely a matter of semantics, the cocktail reception was a cordial presentation of the program and some of it's sponsors, that's it.

And guess who's knocking at the ambassador's door? Diaro Libre. So what does the ambassador do? Exactly what most people would do to the ONLY newspaper or media outlet that felt the need to publish Facebook pictures of a personal celebration in an article of very questionable journalistic value. He decides FUKC these guys, they want to come to eat shrimp and drink Johnny Walker Blue and get to rub elbows with David Ortiz and other famous Dominican baseball players all at my cocktail reception. Sorry, not happening. You're going to have to "sit this one out."

That's it. After all it wasn't a "state dinner" or a conference on Dominican-American relations in the 21st century. It wasn't a conference on the U.S. embassy's Visa policies in the Dominican Republic. It was an informal cocktail reception announcing a USAID/MLB/MLBPA program. Diaro Libre's team of freeloaders (reporters) weren't allowed into a cocktail reception hosted by the ambassador, in the ambassador's own residence, with the ambassador's invited guests, and presenting a program that the ambassador supports and recognizes. What did these idiots expect, valet parking and white glove service? GTFOOH.

And now who's complaining?

Not even ONE day after the cocktail reception Diaro Libre publishes an article about how they were "punished" for publishing the article referencing the ambassador's pool photo seven months ago. And the Diario Libre director, Adriano Miguel Tejada starts citing censorship, freedom of the press and invoking dramatic references to the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. And now more of the Dominican press joins in with more hyperbole and grandstanding. Please, leave the cheap showmanship for the stage shows at the "All-Inclusives".

Here, is the perhaps painful to some, truth of the matter. That while the ambassador's decision not to allow Diaro Libre's freeloaders (reporters) into the cocktail reception may not have been diplomatically prudent, he was well within his rights. And in the broad spectrum of much more serious and pressing diplomatic concerns, it means absolutely nothing. And while the thought of an ambassador here in the Dominican Republic being a homosexual may be grotesque and incomprehensible to some, he isn't going anywhere. Diario Libre feels slighted because they weren't allowed in, tough shlt, grow up and get over it. They rolled the dice and took their chances, move on. The stark reality of the situation is that with the exception of certain sanctimonious hypocritical crybabies in the Dominican Press and a very few others, some of whom post right here on DR1, nobody cares.

this about sums it up in a nutshell. i cannot think of anything else that needs to be said.

oh, maybe this...you behave like an ass, expect to be treated like an ass.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
You might be right......based on his conduct we certainly appear not to have sent our best nor brightest to the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Give me a break. I used to do business with a logistics company in the DR. The country manager had a wife, a mistress and a girlfriend. One of my business associates was in Santo Domingo and the country manager took him to his girlfriend's birthday party. So don't give me that moralistic BS about Dominican sensibilities.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Give me a break. I used to do business with a logistics company in the DR. The country manager had a wife, a mistress and a girlfriend. One of my business associates was in Santo Domingo and the country manager took him to his girlfriend's birthday party. So don't give me that moralistic BS about Dominican sensibilities.

Somewhat different than the ambassador to a country. There is a reason why the words diplomacy and diplomatic are linked.

Jan 9, 2004

Exactly my point.

It is not the job of the Ambassador to openly tell the people of the DR how they should live or what morals they should accept and for this there has been a huge backlash....which likely brought things to the point they are today.

Regardless of your position on whether his position is right or wrong and to reiterate the post above, he has neither acted like the diplomat he is supposed to be.....nor has he acted very diplomatically in handling the situation.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Exactly my point.

It is not the job of the Ambassador to openly tell the people of the DR how they should live or what morals they should accept and for this there has been a huge backlash....which likely brought things to the point they are today.

Regardless of your position on whether his position is right or wrong and to reiterate the post above, he has neither acted like the diplomat he is supposed to be.....nor has he acted very diplomatically in handling the situation.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jeezus, playa. you can do better than this. i see nowhere wherein the ambassador is telling anyone how they should live. maybe i just missed that part.

furthermore, countries like Jamaica and the DR have a medieval approach to homosexuality. Jamaica even moreso. maybe it is high time that someone should help to bring them along into the 21st century.

Jan 9, 2004
jeezus, playa. you can do better than this. i see nowhere wherein the ambassador is telling anyone how they should live. maybe i just missed that part.

furthermore, countries like Jamaica and the DR have a medieval approach to homosexuality. Jamaica even moreso. maybe it is high time that someone should help to bring them along into the 21st century.

Apparently you have not followed his comments and actions since his arrival.

Medieval approach or not it is their issue to be dealt with as they see fit.....they are after all a sovereign nation....not a satellite state.

Perhaps someone should bring them into the 21st Century.......but I repeat and reaver that is not the job of the ambassador or within his job description......and certainly not be as publicly offensive as his comments/actions have become.

As I stated previously, he has to step up and act like the professional his title and job description require.

Respectfully
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Women had this issue however many years ago..

Burn the bra marches, etc.

Looking for social changes.... which came after a longer than wanted wait !!
Gays are in the same boat these days.

Nothing new .... really

Was the catchword.... 'Feminists' ??