U.S. Citizen Kidnapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Peter was working with the police. He's worked with them on other cases in the past. He's lived in Las Galeras for over 15 years.

Shyte, if he's ever in Santiago, tell him beer and dinner are on me. I really appreaciate someone willing to put their life on the line for another human being.

The only bad thing is that there is no jagearschnitzel mit pomme frittes to be found here in Santiago but a fried Sea bass with a good fish soup and a cold presidente and talk of the Bundesliga should do the trick.

tchuss

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
AndyB,

If you're in touch with the couple you may want to alert them that CNN has picked this up, unfortunately. I say unfortunately because in the absence of getting any info from US Embassy they seem to have done some digging and found a Court case which listed the couple's US company & since they are now in Forth Worth they could get some unwelcome attention from the media.
Dominican police rescue U.S. woman - CNN.com

I am so sad for Sue as she is a lovely woman with a wonderful sense of humor. I am so sorry that such a nice person was treated so poorly. A few years ago I was hired to be her private tutor in Spanish and there could not have been a nicer person to teach! It is such a shame that a few persons like those men make such a bad name for Dominicans, as Dominicans are a very very nice friend people as a whole! Let no one think that this violent act characterizes Dominicans nor SAMANA! I am a foreigner and have lived almost 20 years very happily here in Samana and much of my time in Las Galeras! Don't let this isolated act discourage anyone from coming here! It is a lovely place to live and raise children! And it is safe! No problem walking down the street at night! But isolated acts of violence such as this can give a wrong impression and a bad name to an area, especially when the media get a hold of it. It would be so nice for all that care to write her a nice note! She is well known so it would not be difficult to get a card to her.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Note that Peter was not given credit in the article or the interview either.

Yes I noticed that, but maybe he wants it that way so that he can go on helping the police? In any event if some of the bad guys are still around (or their family & friends) it might be safer for him not to be mentioned?

Where I think local agencies could get a bit upset was that it would be possible to see that interview as extolling the virtues of US authorities and not Dominican ones. I'm sure they didn't mean this but there was a lot of emphasis on what tax dollars go to etc etc. Maybe the way interview was edited by the TV Channel concerned?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes I noticed that, but maybe he wants it that way so that he can go on helping the police? In any event if some of the bad guys are still around (or their family & friends) it might be safer for him not to be mentioned?

Where I think local agencies could get a bit upset was that it would be possible to see that interview as extolling the virtues of US authorities and not Dominican ones. I'm sure they didn't mean this but there was a lot of emphasis on what tax dollars go to etc etc. Maybe the way interview was edited by the TV Channel concerned?
Surely it was edited, as all TV stuff is, but I loved their attitudes, and it must be rewarding for those who did help save her, to know she & her hubby appear to be wonderful people, and worthy of all their efforts.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Surely it was edited, as all TV stuff is, but I loved their attitudes, and it must be rewarding for those who did help save her, to know she & her hubby appear to be wonderful people, and worthy of all their efforts.
I think you miss the point here Rocky. The 'editing' was obviously done after the interviews & would have cut out a lot of the GOOD things the couple would have said about the Dominican authorities involvement in this 'rescue'. The comments of the couple 'appeared' to extol the virtues of the US armed forces as the rescuers, the HIGH profile of the US Embassy etc. BOTH of these we know to be incorrect from comments made at the beginning of this thread!

And before anyone suggests it .... NO, I am not US of A bashing - just the style of reporting that promotes USA above all others. I am sure the Dominican involvement in the rescue was fairly high. ~ Grahame.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Strange stuff ... somehow I cannot picture the heading "German rescues American". So silly, this preoccupation with where one was born or which piece of ground you were on when you decided to pop out of the womb.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
With A Little Help From Your Friends

I cannot help but think that this case was solved so rapidly because an American citizen was involved and because Americans have quite a say in this country.
As Americans have FBI and military personnel here they could help immediately and it seems without interference.
Many a drug load (like the air drops) would not be detected, reported or even confiscated if it was not for the American involvement.

And I hope this help continues.

Janin

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
UPDATE: Are Extranjeros really safe in the DR?

I have learned that 2 of the 4 captured and involved in the Susan Rash kidnapping have been released on bond ($70K pesos/each) last week and are now walking the streets of the Samana area. The other two are still looking for money to get out. That tells me, there is little safety for any Extranjero in the DR, as this will happen again, possibly sooner than later. What say you? :paranoid:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
what I say???
i'll tell you.
those americans failed again, completely, like mostly.
free the victim and shot those bastards is the only solutions that that will not happen again by them.
a bond of RD$ 70K a piece is nothing.
as soon as they see the opprtunity they will try it again to get some millions out of it, 70K is a piece of cake besides that.
Mike

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
If that is true.

I could not imagine the abject terror this woman went through? for $2000.

Pitiful. Dominicans should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Money System

... 2 of the 4 captured... are now walking the streets of the Samana area.

This is bad news indeed.
I think it's fair to say that this country's "justice" system is ruled by money.

BTW, I wonder whether deportees were involved in this crime....

Janin

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have learned that 2 of the 4 captured and involved in the Susan Rash kidnapping have been released on bond ($70K pesos/each) last week and are now walking the streets of the Samana area. The other two are still looking for money to get out. That tells me, there is little safety for any Extranjero in the DR, as this will happen again, possibly sooner than later. What say you? :paranoid:
I say get that info confirmed, and if it's true, sick the dogs on them.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The info is true. And as a matter of fact the head of American Citizen Services will be here in Las Galeras for a meeting Tuesday, noon at my hotel, el Marinique, with all Americans living in the area (Samana and Las Terrenas included) invited to attend. This and other things will be discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.