U.S. College Grad Looking for advice

G

Green_Bananas

What are they telling you stateside? Do you plan to graduate Magna, Summa Cum Laude?

I'm not sure what you're referring to in your first question, but yeah I should get one of the latin honors. However, I still have three more years to go so I can't be 100% certain.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Hey everyone,

I'll be graduating from one of the top 3 U.S. Finance programs (Wharton, NYU Stern, MIT Sloan) in 3 years and I would love to move to Santo Domingo right after graduation. I hope to leverage my resume and the program I'm in, into a corporate finance position (Citi, one of the big four accounting firms, etc.).

From what I've read so far many people here stress to potential expats the importance of understanding the culture. I'm Dominican-American and have visited the country many times. I have family there, I speak the language, and I have a pretty good grasp on our culture and what life is like. Because of this, I doubt that the culture will be an issue.

So pretty much what I wanted to know is if there was anyone else who did the same thing, and was willing to provide some insight. Can a single college grad make it in Santo Domingo? Is this line of work full of potential? I read articles daily about the economic state of the country, but I would love some anecdotes.

Thanks!

Santo Domingo??????? Not the Grand Cayman but Santo Domingo Wow!!!!!!

People go into business to make A LOT of money!!! period and you will not accomplished this in a city like Santo Domingo no matter what anyone tell you.

If you want the island life along with making a boat load of money look into the Grand Cayman.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Job experience and networking are more important than where you studied abroad when looking for a top-paying job in the DR. Top school diplomas weigh much more in the US than here. Better salaries will be gotten when hired from abroad.

I would check for the Dominican graduates from your school of choice and write to them for support in accomplishing your goal here. They know what it takes to graduate from your school and can serve as a very good connection.

Lots of opportunities to develop projects here as an entrepreneur, and especially if you have a base. It is important to visit constantly to study the local market and see where the growth industries are.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I'm not sure what you're referring to in your first question, but yeah I should get one of the latin honors. However, I still have three more years to go so I can't be 100% certain.

I mean what are your friends (preferably Dominican cultured)/colleagues/family opining. As to the second question, you sounded confident in your original post and demonstrated command of English. If that can translate into top-of-class honors then whatever you decide will work for you. Good luck.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Green Bananas - keep in mind that most of the people that are giving you advice are retirees who don't work here in the DR and who don't speak the language at the conversational level. :)

While it is true cu?as are important here, the fact is Santo Domingo is a thriving market and with your background you would have a good chance to get employed especially if you get honors. Best of luck and keep up the good work.

Also, you should consider doing a masters or a specialization here as well like PUCMM in Santo Domingo as you would really be able to network. In fact PUCMM offers some masters with dual degrees from the US and Europe.

http://www.pucmm.edu.do/postgrado/Documents/fcsa/adm/PensumMAF.pdf

Last edited:

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Whatever you choose to do with your life, make sure it is something you can be morally proud of.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
international finance s.d? hang out your shingle and money will walk in your door... $transfers...offshore deposits, land transactions...think u do one or two transactions at $5m each...3% for you...can u live? and countless other $ transactions at 1-3%...they catch smugglers with a couple of u know what.........do you have $ to live or are you looking for a job to eat?

G

Green_Bananas

I mean what are your friends (preferably Dominican cultured)/colleagues/family opining. As to the second question, you sounded confident in your original post and demonstrated command of English. If that can translate into top-of-class honors then whatever you decide will work for you. Good luck.

They tell me that a lot of higher ups in all sectors value people who studied at top schools outside of DR. Also what I hear a lot is to just get a job in the government, since a lot of $ can be made there and it's a great way to rub shoulders with people who can help propel your career. I never gave it much thought but it could definitely be a possibility.

Haha I would hope my English is good. I'm American-born and it's my first language!

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Green if you were my son I would tell you this.

Get a job in an industrialized nation. When you have some connections and a plan then go to the DR. There is a reason NY is the Big Apple and London and Hong Kong have the highest rental rates.
While you can make it rich in the DR its more of a place to go when you are rich and want to get richer. Your prime earning years will be your thirties if you pay your dues in your twenties.
You may be the exception to the rule however the rule is in the DR that its not necessarily the smartest or the hardest working who make it. You need juice and connections. There is a reason that people whore themselves out to get off of La Isla. Its an incestuous oligarchy. If you want to be blue collar well off or a criminal come here with no capital or connections. If you want to be a player get some real experience under your belt.

Come down to test the waters when you have a business card that will get you noticed. Once you are in the right clubs and meet the right people then is your chance.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Not really. If they qualify for Wharton and/or Sloan, Stern is actually a very reasonable target school.

You're right. Some people win the lottery and some make a major league baseball team.