U.S. Dominicans & Sympathizers....just a thought

S

Stephen Hadley

Re: U.S. Dominicans & Sympathizers....just a thoug

I would seriously question if you are truely helping the situation by sending money or artificially creating or causing a dependancy to continue...

people all over the world waste what they get for free...

R

rubio

Re: Dominican Yorks. No Social Conscience??

sure, i know many dominican yorks they usually struggle when they first get here, but then when they can they always send $ to the family back in the DR. i think your observation Prof is generalization, and very misguided and hurtful. i am not even dominican myself, but i take offense to your observations. you must have rich arrogant friends

L

linamia

Joachim,
with all due respect, then I guess you do not have much experience in this matter. Visit Williamsburg in Brooklyn or Washington heights in Manhattan or any other heavily dominican populated neighborhood and you will find that 40% of their meager salary goes back home. Take it from a Dominican. Countless emergencies are resolved by us absentees dominicans. We feed my families we purchase many homes and we provide for lots of necesities. As a culture we take care of our elders. Disd you know that most poor Dominican when they get a little finacial breeze the first thought is "le voy a comprar un casa a la vieja" meaning I will buy a house for mom. Even the big drug lords thing this way. So unless you are ready to take care of the problem do not generalize.

R

rubio

you are just as guilty as the professor for generalizing, i know more who do help than don't. i guess you need to find better friends and family

R

rubio

do you realize that cash sent by dominicans abroad brings more revenue to the country than sugar cane ? please use your head before make dumb comments

R

rubio

Re: A Dominican York responds...

well realize, most dominicans in the DR think that NY has $ laying in the streets. if a dominican arrives here, can't speak english, how much do you think he is going to make a week here? maybe $400. do you realize a the cost of living is alot more here? rent food etc....please try to have some understanding,
but the most interesting point is ,EVEN IF YOU ARE RIGHT THEN WHY DO THEY DO THAT? WELL MAYBE IT IS CULTURAL? SO IF DOMINICAN MOTHER (MOST FATHERS AREN'T AROUND)WANT THERE KIDS TO SENT MONEY WELL, THEY NEED TO CHANGE THE MENTALITY OF THE SOCIETY!!!

R

rubio

good for you, as an american, who has spent alot of time in the DR and has my dominican wife here, along with my step daughter, and daughter thank you! you said it very well!

R

rubio

i will agree with you on this post, it is true. but change to this mentality, needs to come from the DR not new york, not with $, but from leadership and with hipolito, that won't happen. just because a dominican is fortunate to get to the US, they do not bare the responsibility left behind, they give because they want too

L

linamia

Supporting ones elders is not a waste of time or creating a dependecy it is merely taking care of the people who for so many years took care of you. Its about wanting them to live a better life in their golden years, If you as a tourist can condem us for that so be it but please tell us what do you do in your native country for your elders, How do you take care of them? I will be most interested in learning about YOU Joachim, and all those who critic us. It is so easy to sit in front of your pc and talk about the problems of DR and how to solve them, but tell us what are you doing to solve the problems in your homeland? WE have good we have bad that is what makes humaity interesting and diverse take it or get out and go to your perfect world, where everyone thinks and act like you do. PAZ

R

rubio

you are clueless, you must listen rush and kiss george w feet

A

Abe

I heard people talk about Sammy Sosa, and Pedro Martinez being cruel for having so much money while people in San Pedro go hungry, what they don?t know is what these guys had to go thru to get where they are today.

People in the DR are always specting for someone some one else to give them something, ?DAME LO MIO!? I have to work 12 hours a day to get the things I need and some ?Vago? wants me to give them ?lo del?.

Rich people don?t have to give their money to anyone, unless they want to give it to some charity or some orphan home or cancer or AIDS research center or something, the Dominican Government is taxing the hell out of everybody, they are the ones obligated to help the people obtain more opportunities.

T

Tgf

Remittances: Costs versus Benefits

Once again, I suggest that rather than "shoot from the hip" and use your own views, biases, and personal experiences to draw from, educate yourself on the issue. It is a complicated issue with many variables involved - economic, social, and historical. Below is a link to a well-balanced article that outlines BOTH pros and cons to remittances. There is a bibliography at the end that will direct you to further reading. Eugenia Georges, a professor at Rice University, and a colleague, wrote a very good book called "The Making of a Transnational Community" based on her research on the impact of remittances on communities in the Cibao, Cordillera Central, Dominican Republic. This is also worth reading. P.S., Jim H., it is not yet available online electronically, so the book format is the way to go. Businesses are started with remittance money and these businesses do employ other Dominicans. And, yes, much money is used for basic living expenses. Also, money is also used to further educate Dominicans at schools and universities. If you really want to learn about this issue you have to work a little - this means spending some time reading and researching. If you just want to complain and feud, then don't read anything, don't research anything, and ultimately....don't learn anything either.

M

Marilyn

Joachim,

My mother made $200-300 a week 20 years ago, not today, she's retired and still sending money. I make 6 times that a week and don't send a cent to anyone. It's true that anything we bring down to our relatives can be bought there, but unfortunately, the first Dominicans that emigrated to the US created a monster by spoiling their relatives and sending them stuff they never had or never even thought of having, but that was 20-30 years ago, and today they still think everything should be sent to them from the US (dropped from the sky). It's our job now to disown them of that belief, let them work for what they want the same way I work for what I want, and that's my phylosophy.

R

rubio

Re: Rubio. interested to kone who you are respondi

mr hadley, that is typical conservative non-compassionate thinking, people need to help themselves , but to discard the is wrong

R

rubio

maybe my words were excessive to say clueless to mr hadley,but but the alternative he sugggests is not nice to those endure,

M

Marilyn

Dominicanos Ausentes deserve respect and ...

Abe,

Thanks for your response, I've always felt the term Dominican York was insulting, that's why on my previous posts I always referred to myself as a "Dominicana Ausente", even though I came here as a little girl and I was raised here. It's true, for all of us that work legally for our money, it doesn't come easy, I commute 1 1/2 hours (car & train) to work morning and night and by the time I get home I'm beat. Please note that I don't work in a factory, I work at the World Trade Center in confortable environment, air conditioning, etc., not in a factory or washing dishes, or driving a taxi risking my life every second like many Dominicans do, they are the ones that deserve our respect and consideration, I take my hat off to them!!!

A

Abe

Re: Dominicanos Ausentes deserve respect and ...

I worked in midtown Manhattan for a well know Computer related company (networking and IT support), I used to go to customers located 20 blocks away.... walking (that's right) that's 40 blocks the round trip, by the time I got I home, I was so tired I had to go to bed without eating diner. At first I had to put my feet on warm salty water to ease the pain. I remember once I had to sit on a bench on 6th Av. and 52 Street, to rub my throbbing feet.

S

Stephen Hadley

I was refering to those sending money blindly out of guilt, not to those doing legitimate work of investment into a countries well being (I consider sponsering education, argicultural reform and similar things investment)

I am talking about randomly passing out food to poor people
who simple consume it and produce more to feed.

This is not directed towards those on those caring for relatives or similar resposiblities, but rather towards foreigners disjointed foriegners contributing blindly out of guilt

S

Stephen Hadley

I appreciate your point of view, and I understand that mine is sometimes difficult to stomach.

My point is that not all humanitarian gestures contribute to the benifit of humanity and some actually cause more problems... We shouldn't encourage behaviour that only leads to destruction.
Overpopulation, laziness, corruption, and dependancy to the point of parisitic behavior are all potential results of blind charity.

Key word is BLIND. efforts must be well directed towards an investment into the future of our planet as a whole, not towards an indivual poverty case..

For example the effort by ron and others on the north coast to provide education for poor students in the area is an honest effort and investment in the community locally and globally

Sending tons of grain to Africa on the other hand accomplishes what?

A. to increase the population in areas unable to support it

B. enrich the corrupt officials who sell it illegally

C. to decrease self dependacy of the area

for an example closer to my home in the US
The flood plains of the misissippi flood every few years and wipe out all the homes. The government pays the people to put the very same buildings, which then gets wiped out again. At the very least you would think they would build raised houses but it just a complete waste

When someone shows up saying "I feel guilty cause I am rich and they are poor, where can I send my money to?" what can you realistically expect to happen?

I am a big believer in "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

please see my other response above as well.