U.S. Embassy Alert: Caution on Demonstrations

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

I just received to my email this alert from the US. Embassy in Santo Domingo: Demonstrations have recently occurred in multiple locations in the Dominican Republic. Such events may result in large crowds and/or protests in public locations and may disrupt traffic.

Are they on the same planet? I haven't heard about or seen any such demonstrations.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If only they'd be kind enough to put out these same warnings for the peope back home.
SMH.
Ignore them long enough maybe they'll eventually go away?

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Two people I spoke with today in Santiago: One in Licey says she heard huelga rumors but doesn't know why; the other in Cerro Alto says she hasn't heard anything.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
It's the old...Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
You can't please everybody.
Sometimes nobody.
But you can't stop trying.
That's the job.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Two people I spoke with today in Santiago: One in Licey says she heard huelga rumors but doesn't know why; the other in Cerro Alto says she hasn't heard anything.
I pass thru Licey all the time.
If/ when they are planning a strike or just feel like stirring the pot, everyone knows well in advance. They always post signs and spray paint on the walls along the main roads.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I pass thru Licey all the time.
If/ when they are planning a strike or just feel like stirring the pot, everyone knows well in advance. They always post signs and spray paint on the walls along the main roads.
What made my Licey friend more concerned was that I, currently in NY, heard about it. "How do you know more than me"?
I see the signs and graffiti there and other places when I visit. I just wish they would date them so I know whether or not to hide!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
What made my Licey friend more concerned was that I, currently in NY, heard about it. "How do you know more than me"?
I see the signs and graffiti there and other places when I visit. I just wish they would date them so I know whether or not to hide!
They do date them otherwise it would be pointless. I will snap a few pics on my next trip over to Moca and share them with ya.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
They do date them otherwise it would be pointless. I will snap a few pics on my next trip over to Moca and share them with ya.
To be clearer, on the few I've seen they had month and day but not year, so I never know if it's for next week or from last year and no one painted over it. You've likely seen a lot more than me over the years. Share pics if you have the chance.