Uber in Santo Domingo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I've heard of kidnapping and rapes committed by Uber drivers in the US and the UK.

No doubt with the help of lobbying money and other interests making sure it makes the news.
When your entire industry is being turned upside down, amazing what goes on.

Uber incidents are a drop in the ocean, as compared to regular taxi services.
How many people are robbed daily in Santo Domingo alone in taxis and conchos?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Most drivers in DR have their own vehicles, SO?

Yes they do. But will the ones with money and nice cars be interested in making an average of $4 or $5 dollars when they can get a fare. And pay there own gas. Do you want to be picked up in a car with a broken windshield and no AC?

Also they pay by the mile, not the time it takes. To go 2 miles in SD could take awhile. They pay about a dollar a mile to the driver.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yes they do. But will the ones with money and nice cars be interested in making an average of $4 or $5 dollars when they can get a fare. And pay there own gas. Do you want to be picked up in a car with a broken windshield and no AC?

Also they pay by the mile, not the time it takes. To go 2 miles in SD could take awhile. They pay about a dollar a mile to the driver.

An UBER fare takes into consideration both time & distance, like a taxi meter.

It's not for every driver, but it is new and technologically savvy, so it will work for SOME riders & SOME drivers!

This APP is kicking UBER's A$$ here in NYC, a shared ride, for $5 ANYWHERE below 96th Street.

Via | New York City's Smartest Rideshare app - Just $5 a ride

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hitting a passenger with a hammer, rape, kidnapping, molestation, burglarizing a passenger's home after dropping them off at the airport. That's supposed to be normal taxi service?

No one said it was normal taxi service. What I am saying is there are "normal" taxi drivers who commit the same crimes. Also did you happen to notice the link I posted was put online by the "normal" taxi and limousine commission. Read Robert's post #42.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

It works great in Bogota and is popular, so they must be making money. This is a city with worse traffic than SD and cheaper taxi rates.

60% of riders in Colombia are woman, as it's shown to be very safe and secure, as opposed to the regular taxis. The user get's to see a photo of the driver, license plate and phone number via the app, prior to the taxi pick up. All drivers undergo a background and criminal record check, only clean drivers can use the service.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
But what about the GPS in this country? The car will have to go to exactly where the phone is by GPS.

Once again, not for the entire country but in Santo Domingo Goggle Maps, using GPS, has never, ever failed me yet.

Yes they do. But will the ones with money and nice cars be interested in making an average of $4 or $5 dollars when they can get a fare.........

If Uber targets Santo Domingo Centro there are plenty of decent cabs parked at certain locations who wait, and wait for a fare that is a $4 or $5 fare. If Uber charges the same rate as the current taxi rate they will do just fine. Instead of calling Apolo you use the app and get Uber.

Santo Domingo Centro is so, so much different than the north coast. Almost like another country. Santo Domingo Centro is first world living. So IMO things that will work in SD most definitely will not work on the north coast and Uber being one.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
what a question about GPS, lol.
i never saw a smartphone without a GPS App already loaded. they work worldwide and are nice precise.
zero need for installing Navigation Kitts/Equipments in cars since years. you have a smartphone with a real smartplan(Data), then you have your own private navigation system already included, worldwide.
a little example, my Crews have smartplans for their smartphones, as very most people i know have here in DR. a captain can adjust his GPS App easy, so i see on my smartphone where each boat moves at any moment, and i can store on my smartphone the route they took, follow up where they speeded and where they fished. for private use in a car, no navigation equipment nor any satelite tracking equipments are necessary, simple smartphones do the job. and you don't neew any overprized luxury models. my crews use samsungs S4's and S5's, myself i use a chinese M4Tel which comes FREE with my Claro Smartplan/Dataplan. i damage several phones per year on and in the water, so i stopped a long time ago to use expensive models, not worth the bucks spent. the actual alternative for myself, as the M4 is already showing some "wounds", is the Samsung S3. great reliable phone and darn cheap. brand new in the store for under 10K Pesos.
back to the Uber system.
sure it is made for Mayor Cities where many passengers are available within a dozen kilometers. the kind of customer who would use such sertvice over a normal taxi/public transportation, that person in DR already has a Smartplan and that person already has a bank account with debit/credit card, no problem to connect such to a Uber App.
BUT, todays i do not see the city ready for such service. Uber needs to find a nuber of existing cabbies with a up to date vehicle, to offer their services. for a few dollars per ride, they will not convince any to leave his Union, with his life at stake due such(leaving Union), to do in the most modern taxi of the city the cheapest rides of the City.
taxi drivers have smartphones and bank accounts, BUT the buck per mile paid by Uber, darn sure a cabby driver does not want to be paid those peanuts on a bank account, as he would get the full taxes taken from his peanuts profit right away, no more rides under the hand.
anyways, Uber will not manage to create a new kinda Union of drivers, such will never happen, not in this century, for any kind of transport service to work out, they obligatory have to work with drivers/car owners who are members of the unions. so on every ride the union gets their usual 10% share. in addition they have to pay their fees for their Routes. with all that the rates/fares are set by the market (Unions) already. there is no space left for Uber to make a buck per mile.
in Santo Domingo i ride by cabby cross city for 300.- pesos. the cars used are no luxury but completely fine for the rides. would i be willing to pay $20.- bucks for the same ride just to sit 20-25minutes in a more luxury Taxi? sure not, no need for that.
somebody mentioned $50.- rides/services to be targeted. well, i cant imagine a route in Santo Domingo which would cost so much, Taxis are way cheaper, cost a fraction of $50.-.
the more expensive rides are the one from the Airports and in general within the Punta Cana Area, the touristy rides by cabby. but the same, they are not available to work with without Union Drivers/vehicles, and arriving tourists usually have No Data Plan working here at hand to use such service by Uber.
I dont see it work here.

Mike

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@MikeFisher, I try my best to read your posts but without paragraph breaks I can never finish reading them. I believe it may have something to do with the device you use to post, maybe a tablet or smartphone?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
@MikeFisher, I try my best to read your posts but without paragraph breaks I can never finish reading them. I believe it may have something to do with the device you use to post, maybe a tablet or smartphone?

I concur, a disaster. Let me know what the theme is.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Here is something nobody has touched on yet. Since I travel to the DR once or twice a year I've gotten into the habit of getting a driver's Whatsapp number if I liked them. This is not as high tech as Uber, but has been pretty successful for me. On this next trip in a few weeks I made arrangements for a pickup at the airport with a negotiated price before hand.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

i see it broken down into paragraphs just fine, on a PC. maybe you are trying to read on a tablet or smartphone?
anyways, just skip it, and all is fine.

Mike

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
i see it broken down into paragraphs just fine, on a PC. maybe you are trying to read on a tablet or smartphone?
anyways, just skip it, and all is fine.

Mike

I am on a windows PC and see a REALLY REALLY LONG sentence, as well.
Hit enter every few sentences Mike!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
lol.
for a german that's sure nothing of any long sentence.
i grew up with a language that contains WORDS who are as a single word longer tahn what would fit in a line here.
don't await everything to be in a american english school format, many people did not go to such school.

Mike

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I dont see it work here.

Mike

Lets keep this on-topic and not wander off into Win PC's etc. Thanks!

Moving on...

Uber does not need existing cab drivers to operate. The majority of Uber drivers are regular car owners.

Look at Uber client demographics, then you'll better understand why it's doing well in cities like Santo Domingo in other Latin counties.

Have you actually used the service in another country?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
lol.
for a german that's sure nothing of any long sentence.
i grew up with a language that contains WORDS who are as a single word longer tahn what would fit in a line here.
don't await everything to be in a american english school format, many people did not go to such school....

Mike

Hahahahaha!!!!!!

You can say that again.......

Couldn't resist........

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Lets keep this on-topic and not wander off into Win PC's etc. Thanks!

Moving on...

Uber does not need existing cab drivers to operate. The majority of Uber drivers are regular car owners.

Look at Uber client demographics, then you'll better understand why it's doing well in cities like Santo Domingo in other Latin counties.

Have you actually used the service in another country?

no, Robert, i never used their nor a similar car service.
but they would be private persons, with their private cars(not registered as Taxi or carro publico etc, right?) to compete with the existing union drivers.
and thats what i think will not happen, the Unions are too strong to allow every private car owner to become a competitor.

Mike

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
It's possible this could be accepted as long as the drivers know they have to pay up, not just to uber but to some informally agreed upon system that only the sindicatos really understand. As long as the right people get their cut it could be possible. As a tourist I would definitely be likely to trust an international brand, even though the skeptic in me knows better.

Last edited:

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Here is something nobody has touched on yet. Since I travel to the DR once or twice a year I've gotten into the habit of getting a driver's Whatsapp number if I liked them. This is not as high tech as Uber, but has been pretty successful for me. On this next trip in a few weeks I made arrangements for a pickup at the airport with a negotiated price before hand.

I do the same, order my taxi with Whatsapp the day before flight.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
Why is that a problem? It works fine in every other market they are in. The GPS is no different for the DR :)

That's what I said until I met a dummy that constantly gets lost using Google maps. Even though I'm not a native Spanish speaker, I don't get lost using Google maps.