uh oh.. meltdown

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Actually the bulk of Canadian money goes to canadian and other foreign NGOs.

There will be no meltdown.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe it's time for the UN to just come into Haiti and take full 100% control. None of this "we're here to help" stuff, but come in and put real teeth into gubmint institutions. Make it happen. Occupy it like post WWII Japan and Germany.

The world has spent BILLIONS AND BILLIONS in Haiti and as far as I know they are no better off now than at any time.

Ultimately people have to take first steps to help themselves.
What about clean up and simple re-construction.
First nations were able to build shelter,hunt, fish and plant.
Billions have been wasted on corrupt officials in Haiti, same as in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Billions have been wasted on corrupt officials in Haiti, same as in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

the un would not have a chance

they would be beheaded

they introduced cholera

took the guys on a training mission to a cholera field

straight piped sewage into the Artibonite River

so that is how STU{Pid the UNited Nations fiasco is

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Maybe it's time for the UN to just come into Haiti and take full 100% control. None of this "we're here to help" stuff, but come in and put real teeth into gubmint institutions. Make it happen. Occupy it like post WWII Japan and Germany.

The world has spent BILLIONS AND BILLIONS in Haiti and as far as I know they are no better off now than at any time.

well the world does not owe haiti any more.. but if you ever had Cointreau or Chanel number anything.. you might think that the folks in Haiti which is still treated like ****.. deserve a bit more than say FRANCE has given her

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Good chance for Canada to invite Haiti to become a protectorate and use our currency etc. Move in our Gov't and clean up and make the place a tourist /eco haven providing employment and education etc. Somewhat how it works in Peurto Rico and the American Virgin Islands. Nous sommes parlons Francais comme les cityoen de Haiti!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Good chance for Canada to invite Haiti to become a protectorate and use our currency etc. Move in our Gov't and clean up and make the place a tourist /eco haven providing employment and education etc. Somewhat how it works in Peurto Rico and the American Virgin Islands. Nous sommes parlons Francais comme les cityoen de Haiti!

Haiti is the second oldest indpendent nation in the hemisphere. They are only 15 years younger than the USA. Do not suppose that they are ever going to be anyone's protectorate or colony again.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Haiti is the second oldest indpendent nation in the hemisphere. They are only 15 years younger than the USA. Do not suppose that they are ever going to be anyone's protectorate or colony again.
So they'll just rot in the sewer of their stubborness, huh?

Sounds like a great plan.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
So they'll just rot in the sewer of their stubborness, huh?

Sounds like a great plan.

you know, i do try to be patient.. explaining how and why and what and everything

and maybe they are stubborn.. certainly they are stubborn. They have been since 1804. At least the Dominicans repsect them, this country won its independence from Haiti and dominicans are rightly frightened of an invasion.. pacifically as is going on now.

but i do lose patience a bit with the sort of thinly veiled contempt that I hear from some of the expat posters..

as if we are better than them in some way

as if ANY of us could survive with the conditions that they have.

For me, of course, I have more Haitian friends than Dominicans or ex pats.. I find them to be massively intelligent and very well mannared and not one of them has ever tried fo rob or scam me

a welcome relief here

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
you know, i do try to be patient.. explaining how and why and what and everything

and maybe they are stubborn.. certainly they are stubborn. They have been since 1804. At least the Dominicans repsect them, this country won its independence from Haiti and dominicans are rightly frightened of an invasion.. pacifically as is going on now.

but i do lose patience a bit with the sort of thinly veiled contempt that I hear from some of the expat posters..

as if we are better than them in some way

as if ANY of us could survive with the conditions that they have.
They have had 200 years to figure it out. How many other countries are no better off now that 200+ years ago?

At what point will they (and the mushy-hearted sycophants) admit that they, themselves share a great amount of responsibility for the condition they are in?

This isn't about the DR vs. Haiti. This is about Haiti vs. themselves.

Excuses and rationales don't put food on the table, MA. You are enabling dysfunction.

Haiti is a massive pustulent sore for the hemisphere. Maybe it's time for adults to come in and establish order and a functioning gubmint.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Maybe it's time for adults to come in and establish order and a functioning gubmint.

CB, adults have been coming all those 200 years to establish order, for their own benefit, of course....
Some of us need to understand that latin america, just like souteast asia, and most of africa, has had to fight not only against the growing pains of becoming civilized countries, but at the same time fighting against neo-colonizators who have repeatedly and continously depleted all natural resources, imposing their policies, corrupting governments and declaring and deposing presidents at will.
It is just like throwing a child into the streets just because he wanted to have an opinion on his future, keep taking away any resource this child could gather, not letting others help him properly, blocking any initiative the child ever had, and then expect him to becoming a productive and well groomed adult.
This is why I keep telling expats that they need to look into the history behind these countries (the real, not the one taught by the guilty) in order to understand the cruel reality we have to face today.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

Let's remember that First Nation people were dealing with Eden like conditions on the land.
...........build shelter, hunt, fish and plant are all very admirable ventures but made somewhat more difficult after decades and decades of rape, pillage and overall destruction of the nation's resources.
There is something to the idea of taking steps to help themselves but first they will need help to scrub the despair from their souls. It is so thick you can see it in their faces, in their eyes and is it any wonder? They are surrounded by scoundrels and thieves and have been for so many years.

I look at the situation in Haiti much in the same way as I look at the situation in the Middle East.......

Hopeless ?
Feels like it.