Underage Girl Gets Killed in a 'Caba?a'.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
My experience with some Dominicans is they LOOOOOOOOOOVE being in everyone else's business, and will freely pass along any information they hear to whomever they are gossiping with. But their shyte they keep to themselves, especially when it's some sort of personal calamity or shortcoming that would make them look bad to others.

As for this particular incident, it's par for the course in a society that hyper sexualizes women and demeans them at almost every turn.
Didn't mean to dislike!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
While it is true that, overall, Dominicans love to talk and gossip, there are several "modalities". Some people talk about their own stuff in the same extent that they share stuff about other people. Others, just like Berzin says, won't spread anything that would make them look bad. I have a neighbor who's like that regarding her sons.

She used to come over and spill the beans about everyone in the neighborhood. Later someone would ask us something like "Hey, is your neighbor still in jail?", "Is it true that *****got a girl pregnant?", or "Have you heard that ****'s son got fired for stealing?". Anything related to her children, she would keep her mouth shut.
The funny thing was her face once she came over to start her informative session, and I asked her "Hey, is it true ***** is in jail?
She was out of words!

Other people have just some concerns about their privacy. My best friend is not on Facebook, because she has privacy concerns. She thinks it's horrible to be on a site where strangers can look at your vacation pics. When I post pics of places we go to together, I crop her and her kid off. My sis is just like that. She got a FB account for work reasons, but she doesn't like sharing personal stuff.

On the other hand, I also have a sis that you have to be careful what you share with (good or bad), cause it'll be of public domain tomorrow. She's the chatty kind. She meets people on a hospital waiting room, a flight, a bus, etc. end they end up sharing stuff about their lives and their relatives' as well.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Interesting. I find it hard to believe in all of your years living here you have never had seen or heard something that you
weren't meant to see or hear, asked someone ( a Dominican neighbor, friend or person in the street) about it and they're
response was " its not your business, don't get involved".
I can not tell you how many times I have seen or heard something I disagreed with and wanted to get involved/ stop from
happening only to have one of my Dominican friends or neighbors pull me aside and tell me "its not your business stay out
of it".

Where in the world do I live? Lets see, first it was Las Flores, Cristo Rey SD then Urb Hilario, Nagua afterwards Los Charamicos, Sosua and now Barrio La Campana here in SD. Without jumping to any conclusions, my guess is you and I have different levels of "exposure" to different everyday situations here in the DR.

My apologies for the "off topic" post.

Was just going to ask if you actually lived in Cristo Rey. You have experience with barrio dominicans. Nothing wrong with that, so do I and some of the nicest people I meet are from barrios. Howevere don't assume all dominicans act the same way.

In a barrio even if you live with them, you are not one of them or at their "level" they assume you are above them because you are a gringo. In naco, bella vista, piantini, gazcue you run into people way more accustomed to interacting with gringos and feel as if they are on same level or in many cases higher.

I have aquaintances that I do not know all that well tell me all about work problems, injuries sustained in accidents, wife's illnesses, money problems etc.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
While it is true that, overall, Dominicans love to talk and gossip, there are several "modalities". Some people talk about their own stuff in the same extent that they share stuff about other people. Others, just like Berzin says, won't spread anything that would make them look bad. I have a neighbor who's like that regarding her sons.

She used to come over and spill the beans about everyone in the neighborhood. Later someone would ask us something like "Hey, is your neighbor still in jail?", "Is it true that *****got a girl pregnant?", or "Have you heard that ****'s son got fired for stealing?". Anything related to her children, she would keep her mouth shut.
The funny thing was her face once she came over to start her informative session, and I asked her "Hey, is it true ***** is in jail?
She was out of words!

Other people have just some concerns about their privacy. My best friend is not on Facebook, because she has privacy concerns. She thinks it's horrible to be on a site where strangers can look at your vacation pics. When I post pics of places we go to together, I crop her and her kid off. My sis is just like that. She got a FB account for work reasons, but she doesn't like sharing personal stuff.

On the other hand, I also have a sis that you have to be careful what you share with (good or bad), cause it'll be of public domain tomorrow. She's the chatty kind. She meets people on a hospital waiting room, a flight, a bus, etc. end they end up sharing stuff about their lives and their relatives' as well.

Try this. Go to the bar in Cabarete where Frank12 works. Spill your guts to Frank about your own personal dirt. Start a timer and see how long it takes to wind up on Dee Ah Won. :D

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
talking bad about antiquated 40 years old Apple Computer Technology leads here to a Month of Vacations for the DR1 account, lol.
Berzin, i wanted to remove a accidentally given Dislike before, couldnt figure out how to do so, please let us know how its done, would be really helpful.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As far as the 15 yr old in the cabana, AFTER she had been drinking in a bar, Mr. AE and I ran through a few scenarios. None made a lot of sense.

As far as the gossiping, I believe the gringos who posted here, I think Dominicans are more careful about what they say. I also think that a gringo/a who is married to a Dominican, especially a long time like I am, becomes part of the woodwork and they speak freely around us.

And like Aguaita's sister, have several Dominicans I know that telling something to is like plastering it on the front page of Listin Diario.

And when we want something to get around, all we have to do is make sure the maid knows, LOL.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why not?

As far as the 15 yr old in the cabana, AFTER she had been drinking in a bar, Mr. AE and I ran through a few scenarios. None made a lot of sense.

Apart from the fact, that many things do not make any sense here, could you elaborate?

donP

May 29, 2006
You've got a country where the legal age of consent is 18, yet 10% of all teens 15 and older get pregnant EVERY year~ many more than once before reaching 18. The law is against existing social norms; if it's not enforced at 17, then where do you draw the line? Age of consent laws are complicated. Should it be a crime for a 16 yo girl to have sex with a 17 yo BF? Seems pretty normal and natural to me. But for a 16 yo to have sex with some guy over 25(or 50) and cash is exchanged? That's something completely different in my eyes.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
Still plenty of Dominican women out there who are grandmothers at age 30 or 31.. it was perfectly *normal* 50 years ago.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Was just going to ask if you actually lived in Cristo Rey. You have experience with barrio dominicans. Nothing wrong with that, so do I and some of the nicest people I meet are from barrios. Howevere don't assume all dominicans act the same way.

In a barrio even if you live with them, you are not one of them or at their "level" they assume you are above them because you are a gringo. In naco, bella vista, piantini, gazcue you run into people way more accustomed to interacting with gringos and feel as if they are on same level or in many cases higher.

I have aquaintances that I do not know all that well tell me all about work problems, injuries sustained in accidents, wife's illnesses, money problems etc.

Yes, lived in a barrio. Yes, have experience with what you refer to as "barrio" Dominicans. No, I never make assumptions about
anyone (including Dominicans) for any reason. Assumptions are the mother of most f*kcups.

Never considered myself to be "one of them" . Never gave much thought about what "level" all of us were on. Just looked at
them like normal people who deserve to be treated as they treat me, be it good or bad. I've never spent anytime in Naco, Bella
Vista or Piantini. Been to Gazcue a few times, nice place. Feels a bit like uptown New Orleans. I'll "interact" with just about
anyone until they give me a reason not to.

I know several Dominicans (especially anywhere close to the touristy areas) who have work problems, injuries, family illnesses,
and money problems but they aint my problems and are treated as such.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You mean killing Dominicans?

Killing people? No, not at all.
I like that people here tend to be (at least in my personal experience) less likely to get involved in my
day to day business and therefor allowing me to live my life as I see fit. The laid back Caribbean lifestyle is one of the reasons I moved down here.

My comments really seemed to have touched off a nerve with a few of you guys. Yes it appears the sky is falling but
none of seals are a clapping, lol.

Hopefully they catch whoever is responsible for killing this girl and bring some justice to her family.

I'm done with the "off topic" post. Not looking to get banned again for responding to questions on threads.
Feel free to PM
me if you want to carry on.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"Alegre como toda la juventud ahora..."

[video=youtube;DV8HUCKkHL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV8HUCKkHL4[/video]

donP