Undocumented Haitians return to Haiti

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Haitianos-retornan-a-Haiti-El-Dia-1024x701.png

Thousands of Haitians have been leaving for Haiti through the one way doors habilitated for their return. Many of these are merchants who live off bilateral trade. The shutdown of the border gates for land, air and maritime traffic has resulted in their loss of business. The merchants are not allowed to return to Haiti with goods for sale in Haiti.

Meanwhile, the local migration authorities continue to deport undocumented Haitians. Many of the undocumented are choosing to return to Haiti to avoid deportation.

The Dominican Republic has served as a social pressure release valve for Haiti, given that thousands were allowed to enter three times a week to carry out trade and work in the Dominican Republic and return to Haiti at their discretion.

Read more in Spanish:El Dia...

[url=https://dr1.com/news/2023/09/21/undocumented-haitians-return-to-haiti/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
There's a bigger economy at work here, that has nothing to do with "...luck...".

Collapse must come in order for something new to emerge. All the pieces are being reset... Including the DR.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
a return trip to the DR... is very easy, depending on with way the wind blows... and of course if its after the election for the president of the DR.......

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Not at the moment, it's not. It's never been more difficult.
This is true. I know someone that is an illegal that has crossed the border many times. She just came back and it took her three days,she said she had to take motos and walked many kilometers,no car transport whatsoever. She showed me videos of her and a bunch of other people walking through horrendous conditions.

Reactions: drstock

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
How so ??
First, you can't just walk through the border. It's closed. Then, there are more checkpoints than ever on the roads, including the back roads. Even if they can bribe their way through, that's a lot of bribes to pay. Then, the cars that have been bringing fifteen or so people at a time at night have stopped their services - or, if not stopped, there aren't many still going.

Reactions: lifeisgreat

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
This is true. I know someone that is an illegal that has crossed the border many times. She just came back and it took her three days,she said she had to take motos and walked many kilometers,no car transport whatsoever. She showed me videos of her and a bunch of other people walking through horrendous conditions.
Maybe the Haitians need to be taking queues from the Mexicans. The Mexicans have the whole illegal border crossing thing worked out to a tee

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Both countries' elites playing politics with poor people's lives. Abinader saw how Ramfis was getting traction with his anti-Haitian rants so he jumped on the bandwagon, BBQ and the crew have influx of people with some savings to extort and also blame their opponents in the government for the mess.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Things are going to get worse in Haiti without Las remesas coming from DR.
What theses people that works in agriculture and construction in DR are going to do over there?

JJ

Reactions: USA DOC and drstock

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
They don't have nothing to do over there, every time I watch a video of the border I see thousands of Haitian just hanging out by the canal construction.

JJ

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
There’s going to be a ton of Haitians left here whom choose stay now , what will Prez do? Will a round up be stepped up or left alone for now?

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I think it’s difficult to say how the PLD would have handled the current Haiti crisis and immigration. Haiti has only gotten worse since. they may have done the same.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I think it’s difficult to say how the PLD would have handled the current Haiti crisis and immigration. Haiti has only gotten worse since. they may have done the same.
I tend to agree. I don't see any Haiti situation progress as proactive. I think the DR by default has been forced to introduce various countermeasures lately due to a constantly deteriorating situation.

Adding: going to get far worse.

Reactions: bachata