Undocumented Haitians

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am currently living in a Haitian village in Puerto Plata and the problem is here is very serious. These people have been here for generations and to have no way to go about gaining citizenship is a major factor in the poverty here. They can not get jobs, they get very little education and they have no land rights... as talked about here:
No Ceilings!: Haitians in the Dominican Republic

Dominicans wanted cheap labor and now they are complaining. I see it this way: No they shouldn't just grant every Haitian that crosses the border citizenship but you just can't make their children go back to Haiti. That is not fair. They should not have to pay for their parents ILLEGAL actions when it happened under the direct supervision of the Dominican government. I say, grant them a process to gain citizenship, stop complaining and protect the border.

How do you know it happened under the direct supervision of the DR government, people lie you know. Dominican citizens shouldn't have to foot the bill for illegal aliens either. Most Haitians came, uninvited. There are those that came under contract but their numbers are small compared those that came illegally. Speaking of which, are you a resident?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Folks, the basic question has been answered ad nausium here.

The Dominican Constitution defines who is a Dominican citizen.

The Dominican school system requires that between 5th and 6th grades a student present a birth certificate. No birth certificate, no studies. As a very good post above stated: You need to prove who you are!! Birth certificate, passport...without these you are just who you say you are and that is not legal in any civilized country in the world...

Now I know that there are ways around this and that in the "past" things were different, but anyone living in Europe or the US should not be too judgmental...there are certainly issue abounding there, too.

HB

Yris lets no student, even pre-school register without a birth certificate. She does have several Haitians students, a couple of Spanish, Italian, American...etc.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I am currently living in a Haitian village in Puerto Plata and the problem is here is very serious. These people have been here for generations and to have no way to go about gaining citizenship is a major factor in the poverty here. They can not get jobs, they get very little education and they have no land rights... as talked about here:
No Ceilings!: Haitians in the Dominican Republic

Dominicans wanted cheap labor and now they are complaining. I see it this way: No they shouldn't just grant every Haitian that crosses the border citizenship but you just can't make their children go back to Haiti. That is not fair. They should not have to pay for their parents ILLEGAL actions when it happened under the direct supervision of the Dominican government. I say, grant them a process to gain citizenship, stop complaining and protect the border.

First off: Dominicans aren't the ones complaining, it's the Haitians and their proponents doing the complaining. Secondly, thank you for your insightful opinion and point of view as to what we Dominicans should do with our laws and county. Cause God only knows we really don't know jack about anything and we need people like you to point us in the right direction.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Yris lets no student, even pre-school register without a birth certificate. She does have several Haitians students, a couple of Spanish, Italian, American...etc.

That must be really tough - turning down a child whose only hope of a better life might be an education.
I feel sorry for both her and them.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
How do you know it happened under the direct supervision of the DR government, people lie you know. Dominican citizens shouldn't have to foot the bill for illegal aliens either. Most Haitians came, uninvited. There are those that came under contract but their numbers are small compared those that came illegally. Speaking of which, are you a resident?

The children born in the D.R to undocumented parents are different in my opinion to those that come across illegally to work and live.
These children committed no crimes - so they should not be penalised.
Full stop.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
The children born in the D.R to undocumented parents are different in my opinion to those that come across illegally to work and live.
These children committed no crimes - so they should not be penalised.
Full stop.

Yes, full stop. Life is soooo unfair. Steve Jobs, Michael Dell and Bill Gates have all this money to burn and I and many others basically have none in comparison. Life should be fair and I should get my equal cut but alas life isn't fair. To help with this dilemma the civilized world has created rules - laws and regulations - that need to be complied with; we been through this already. It may sound heartless but in order to avoid chaos in society we can't disregard or outright break the law to suit our vision or notion of fairness.

Yes I agree the children did nothing but so too the children of Iraq did nothing. The children are always innocent but life isn't fair. It is what it is. Sometimes we need to accept that laws do protect the rights of the many (Dominicans) at the cost of the well being of the few (Haitian).

NotLurking