University in the DR

M

Mr.Mark

Pssssssss

dropitlikeithot said:
of course you have to defend private ones if you attended one. Can you buy your way out from uasd? i don't think so.

Paraphrasing Martin Luther a little bit, I would say that trying to have a reasoned conversation with you is like using gold or silver dishes to carry garden rubbish or dung.

I'm not here to defend private universities because I attended one. Remember, there's only one public university, which is UASD, and that there's no point in putting private universities as a whole in a sphere of prestige. Each case is unique for each university. I didn't say nor imply that you can buy your way out from UASD.

If you continue taking issues out of their place, no one will feel like debating with you, because you're being intelectually dishonest.

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
only thing I mentioned in this post was the image the private schools have vs the public ones.

that's good that you like to paraphrase.

I never said'everyone' that attends private univ are the same. I started posting here about the image that private & public have.

go ahead continue saying fancy phrases so that people
think you are "intelectually" honest.
If you're going to try to put someone down with
your paraphrasing, at least try to spell INTELLECTUAL correctly.

Mr.Mark said:
Paraphrasing Martin Luther a little bit, I would say that trying to have a reasoned conversation with you is like using gold or silver dishes to carry garden rubbish or dung.

I'm not here to defend private universities because I attended one. Remember, there's only one public university, which is UASD, and that there's no point in putting private universities as a whole in a sphere of prestige. Each case is unique for each university. I didn't say nor imply that you can buy your way out from UASD.

If you continue taking issues out of their place, no one will feel like debating with you, because you're being intelectually dishonest.

M

Mr.Mark

Look, I was not trying to put you down. What you're saying I'm doing is what you're doing. Ok, so I spelled "intellectually" -not INTELLECTUAL as you say, but differently than you, I don't think that's an issue, a lapsus such as that one-.
You keep being intelectually dishonest, since you don't get to the point of what is being discussed. For instance, you say "I never said'everyone' that attends private univ are the same". What do you say that for? I don't get it.
If I wanted to put you down, I wouldn't do so using fancy phrases. One needs more than that.
So sorry to offend you, this is my final posting directed to you on this thread.

dropitlikeithot said:
only thing I mentioned in this post was the image the private schools have vs the public ones.

that's good that you like to paraphrase.

I never said'everyone' that attends private univ are the same. I started posting here about the image that private & public have.

go ahead continue saying fancy phrases so that people
think you are "intelectually" honest.
If you're going to try to put someone down with
your paraphrasing, at least try to spell INTELLECTUAL correctly.

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Ouch! What's wrong with the Universidad del Caribe? I know some serious students there who can't afford UNIBE and don't want to deal with the black hole that is UASD.

I'll let you be the judge of that, here is the system of that University: every student only take one course per month (1 class of 4 hours a week = 4 classes per month), in those 4 classes you are supposed to learn the same amount of material that any university gave in a semester. There are no exams whatsoever. So what you think of a university with that system that pass students without even give one exam.

By the way if they can't afford UNIBE and don't want to deal with the black hole that is UASD, then APEC is a very good option for them, is good and is not that expensive. In the other hand, have you heard of student loans, people also can study with one of those.

To dropitlikeithot:

What are your bases to support your statement? The people that are giving their opinion here, either are Dominican or have lived here for a long period, meaning we know on a daily basis what we are talking about.

In my case for example, I studied at INTEC and have a Master degree from Georgia Tech, my sister studied at UNPHU and have a Master degree from INTEC, one of my brothers studied at PUCMM and my other brother studied at UASD (he started at UNPHU architecture but he didn't like the way of teaching so he switch to UASD, he finished and have a great stable job). So I really know what I?m talking about. BTW I?m not rich I even studied at INTEC with an scholarship the same as my Master in the US was with an scholarship. There are programs for outstanding students if they are really interested and search for them in the private universities, so don?t say people don?t have a chance at them.

The way that classes are given in UASD is not that great, first of all we are talking here of 80 students per classroom (and the classrooms are not in the best conditions for that amount of students). The person that have graduated from UASD and is great, is because of the type of person they are and they would have been great no matter of what university they got their degree.

Also HB knows what he?s talking about, he is a professor at PUCMM in Santiago, so the only one without a real example or something to support your statements is you.

And that's all I have to say on this subject

Johy ;)

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I do not know the tuition schedules at the others but PUCMM is about $350 US a credit. Plus a registration fee.
Wow. That's about US$11,000 a year, not including books, room and board.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Johy said:
By the way if they can afford UNIBE and don't want to deal with the black hole that is UASD, then APEC is a very good option for them, is good and is not that expensive. In the other hand, have you heard of student loans, people also can study with one of those.
Any idea of the tuition at APEC? Also, do you know the terms of a student loan (interest rates, repayment period)?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
rellosk said:
Wow. That's about US$11,000 a year, not including books, room and board.

That seems extremelly high for a Latin American Univ. Hillbilly, are you sure that' in US dls. and not in pesos?

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
rellosk said:
Any idea of the tuition at APEC? Also, do you know the terms of a student loan (interest rates, repayment period)?
You can enter at

www.unapec.edu.do

For business administration is RD$ 300.00 the credit. But I think that's for dominican citizens, no idea what is the price for foreigners. There is also a registration fee (no idea about it)

For student loans you have to check with the department of the University that is in charge of that. I just know that some people due it, I have a friend that studied with me at INTEC with a student loan, never asked her the interest rate and the repayment period, sorry.

For PUCMM the credit for dominicans is RD$ 550. For foreigners is US$ 125.
I check it at www.pucmmsti.edu.do

Johy

james

Jan 14, 2002
Would anybody care to give an opinion as to where the "Universidad Central del Este" (San Pedro de Macoris) fits as to good or not so good.
Relating to Ingenieria Civil or Ingenieria de Sistemas (for a Dominican living in the DR and who will work in the DR)

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
I know someone that studies at UASD.

so that means everyone in here is bias since everyone has attended,
teaches, or knows someone (me) in public or private schools. So no one
is right or wrong.

Johy said:
I'll let you be the judge of that, here is the system of that University: every student only take one course per month (1 class of 4 hours a week = 4 classes per month), in those 4 classes you are supposed to learn the same amount of material that any university gave in a semester. There are no exams whatsoever. So what you think of a university with that system that pass students without even give one exam.

By the way if they can't afford UNIBE and don't want to deal with the black hole that is UASD, then APEC is a very good option for them, is good and is not that expensive. In the other hand, have you heard of student loans, people also can study with one of those.

To dropitlikeithot:

What are your bases to support your statement? The people that are giving their opinion here, either are Dominican or have lived here for a long period, meaning we know on a daily basis what we are talking about.

In my case for example, I studied at INTEC and have a Master degree from Georgia Tech, my sister studied at UNPHU and have a Master degree from INTEC, one of my brothers studied at PUCMM and my other brother studied at UASD (he started at UNPHU architecture but he didn't like the way of teaching so he switch to UASD, he finished and have a great stable job). So I really know what I?m talking about. BTW I?m not rich I even studied at INTEC with an scholarship the same as my Master in the US was with an scholarship. There are programs for outstanding students if they are really interested and search for them in the private universities, so don?t say people don?t have a chance at them.

The way that classes are given in UASD is not that great, first of all we are talking here of 80 students per classroom (and the classrooms are not in the best conditions for that amount of students). The person that have graduated from UASD and is great, is because of the type of person they are and they would have been great no matter of what university they got their degree.

Also HB knows what he?s talking about, he is a professor at PUCMM in Santiago, so the only one without a real example or something to support your statements is you.

And that's all I have to say on this subject

Johy ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Johy said:
For business administration is RD$ 300.00 the credit. But I think that's for dominican citizens, no idea what is the price for foreigners...

For PUCMM the credit for dominicans is RD$ 550. For foreigners is US$ 125...
Thanks for the info. These tuition rates seem more reasonable. Do you (or anyone else) know if someone with a degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, etc., from either of these schools can get a job (without having any connections) at a decent (by Dominican standards) wage? Or does one need connections to get a decent job?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
rellosk said:
Thanks for the info. These tuition rates seem more reasonable. Do you (or anyone else) know if someone with a degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, etc., from either of these schools can get a job (without having any connections) at a decent (by Dominican standards) wage? Or does one need connections to get a decent job?
Just apply with the desired company. Send the CV with a picture (since its require in many places) and if your qualifications are good, you have a good chance of getting an interview.

Of course, keep in mind that in some companies if you are against a family member in a given position, the position will be given to the family member.

In short, if your qualifications are good and if your appearance is "presentable" (this is more important in a sales position or any other similar position) your chances of getting hired are good. Of course, good is a very shaky word in this case because there are plenty of people (native and foreign) with qualifications who apply by the boatload whenever an opportunity comes in.

As I always say, you can never be too sure of anything unless you try it.

Take the chance, it might just be your day! ;)

Tony-O

Jun 11, 2005
I think this will help

I currently study at UNIBE and I feel that some comments need clarifying and/or correction.

To project9, who wrote ?But among your bs their a small trace of truth, getting a degree in UNIBE is a walk in the park compared with PUCMM or INTEC.?
I am in the final year of medicine at UNIBE and have already passed the US Medical Liscensing exam (USMLE). I cannot make any claims as to how difficult the programs are at PUCMM or INTEC, but I can compare those programs with UNIBE based upon the only subjective evaluations available. 1) Hospital performance. Once the med students are in their clinical years (3rd & 4th) we are often together in rotations. I have been with students from UASD (the state univ), UNPHU, INTEC, UTESA, and UCE (a school located in San Pedro de Macoris but they usually rotate in Santo Domingo teaching hospitals). The students who perform the best during rounds (when the attending physician or chief resident is asking questions) are the good students from UNIBE and INTEC. UASD, UCE and UNPHU have occasional allstars but most of them say nothing/answer few questions.
The 2nd subjective means of evaluation is time needed to pass the USMLE. The best test prep for the USMLE is the Kaplan course located on the UNIBE campus. Many students and grads from all the above-mentioned universities use the Kaplan center and UNIBE library to prepare. Thus, being a library rat and having completed the Kaplan course, I feel I am being fair when I state that each school puts out students that take an equal amount of time to pass the USMLE, about 1 year. Only students from UNIBE, and a few from INTEC and UNPHU have passed the USMLE before graduating, but most wait until after graduation before prepping for the USMLE or Euro exams.
UNIBE isn?t ?a walk in the park?. It is just as difficult as any other. The reason some students graduate who would probably wash out at other programs is because UNIBE allows seemingly limitless drops. When I was studying undergrad in the US, we were allowed to drop 2 classes during the 4 years of study. I don?t know the other DR schools programs drop policies but UNIBE?s policy allows loafers to remain in school. As with the other schools, UNIBE will cut a student if his/her GPA falls below 2.0 for 2 semesters but that doesn?t happen very often because of the drop policy. The professors at UNIBE are generally very good at instructing and are clearly masters of their respective subjects. Most have studied abroad for their specialties.

To Johy, who wrote ?By the way if they can't afford UNIBE and don't want to deal with the black hole that is UASD, then APEC is a very good option for them, is good and is not that expensive. In the other hand, have you heard of student loans, people also can study with one of those.?
UNIBE offers US Stafford, as well as Canadian, student loans. It charges US$4,000 per semester for tuition alone for ?international students?. Dominican students pay approx RD$28,000 per semester. UCE also offers US Stafford loans and charges US$3,000 per semester. UASD charges US$600 per semester for international students. At UASD, Dominican students pay, I?m not making this up, 6 pesos per credit. I?ll inquire with students from other universities if anyone asks.

To Rellosk, who wrote ?Do you (or anyone else) know if someone with a degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, etc., from either of these schools can get a job (without having any connections) at a decent (by Dominican standards) wage?
UNIBE offers an MBA from Florida International University. It is the real deal from a good state school. A classmates husband is currently enrolled. He has an engineering degree from NC State and works here for a US company. He told me it is very challenging. I think he said it costs US$18,000 for the program. Job prospects with this MBA should be rather good in North America. I haven?t a clue as to its merit here in the DR. I wish you good fortune.

I hope this post clears some things up regarding university education here in the DR. Most of my info regards to medicine but each university has its pros & cons with any major. Good day to all. Tony

M

Mr.Mark

Tony,

I owe you -and you representing all Unibians- an apology. Although you didn't mention it, I too made some subliminal comments putting down UNIBE's students.

It's not that I'm backing out from my perception that is harder to found good professionals from UNIBE -at least in business and engineering- than to do so from students from INTEC and PUCMM. But we have neglected the fact that this is very dependable on each person. One thing that hasn't been taken into account is that many -if not most of- Unibians come from wealthy families and -not necessarily directly related to this, but yes, related- they are not too keen on their professional advancement from their university career. Many thing they have their future all settled up.

In analyzing the current state of universities in the DR, and especially when analyzing the dimension of tuition and rates differences from one college to another, one has to take into account the deficiencies in pre-university education. You know... public schools in the DR are very limited and one can almost generalize and say the don't challenge their alumni intelectually. Thus, those who go to UASD are mainly those who've studied in public schools. Hence, maybe comparision between students of different universities have to take account of where this students did their high school studies.

Being a graduate from Intec, I must say that over the years my uni has lowered its teaching and instruction quality. I wish INTEC put more requirements for students to be admitted. It's so easy to get into college here!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Just apply with the desired company. Send the CV with a picture (since its require in many places) and if your qualifications are good, you have a good chance of getting an interview.

Of course, keep in mind that in some companies if you are against a family member in a given position, the position will be given to the family member.

In short, if your qualifications are good and if your appearance is "presentable" (this is more important in a sales position or any other similar position) your chances of getting hired are good. Of course, good is a very shaky word in this case because there are plenty of people (native and foreign) with qualifications who apply by the boatload whenever an opportunity comes in.

As I always say, you can never be too sure of anything unless you try it.

Take the chance, it might just be your day! ;)
I guess you've answered my question. Having a good education (and interviewing well) does not equate to finding a good job in the DR. It seems connections are more important.

BTW, I was inquiring not for myself, but for a Dominican that is not yet of college age.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
rellosk said:
I guess you've answered my question. Having a good education (and interviewing well) does not equate to finding a good job in the DR. It seems connections are more important.

BTW, I was inquiring not for myself, but for a Dominican that is not yet of college age.
Well, its not impossible and there are many people who have managed to get into some good positions with not much connections. But, you also have to realize that good positions are relatively few compared to the workforce qualified for these positions and with nepotism being rather widespread, the good position become even more scarce for the average person.

On a good note, if the person you are posting on behalf does very good in her/his college years, that could take her a long way. Having a near excellent GPA from one of the most respected universities in this country will put such person ahead of the crowd.

One of the key skills in this society is called networking. A pleasing personality, good sense of judgement, and a high trust level in addition to a good education causes a person to become a "magnate" to other similar peoples. Such magnetism is good when it comes to creating frienship bonds between future business partners. If the person you were referring to is your child, teach him/her early on how to develop rapport and networking skills.

Not only will such skill give him/her an edge over the crowd, but it will also make his/her life more interesting since a person with a well developed socializing skill is a person that will meet alot of interesting people.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Would anybody care to give an opinion as to where the "Universidad Central del Este" (San Pedro de Macoris) fits as to good or not so good relating to Ingenieria Civil or Ingenieria de Sistemas (for a Dominican living in the DR with limited funds and probably can not qualify for loans and who will work after university in the DR)

May 31, 2005
Go to www.livio.com and scroll down to universidades dominicanas. You will see links to universities in DR. The links will take you to their official website and they will have tuition prices there.