Update on DC are Dominicans/Dominican Interested People

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey Keith R, Don Juan,and DC/VA/MD- DR1ers etc.

Apologies for the short notice. ALB3 and I were just talking and wondered if you guys wanted to get together tomorrow Tuesday, 7/27 around 6:30pm at Carolinas located at 3700 14th St, NW. The cross streets are 14th St and Spring Road. The prices for an avg. plate at in the $8 (chicken)-12 (seafood) range. Parking is easily available. 52 L'Enfante Plaza bus line passes right in front.

While the place is a hole in the wall type place the food is good DR home cooking and the Presidente is cooollllddd/fria. Mama Juana shots are also available for purchase.

Feel free to send me, Deelt, or ALB3 an email by noon tomorrow to get final turnout numbers. I will call up the restaurant to make a reservation, a table set out for us. I'll post a piece of paper on the table saying DR1 for you to recognize who we are.

Deelt

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
deelt said:
Apologies for the short notice. ALB3 and I were just talking and wondered if you guys wanted to get together tomorrow Tuesday, 7/27 around 6:30pm at Carolinas located at 3700 14th St, NW. The cross streets are 14th St and Spring Road. The prices for an avg. plate at in the $8 (chicken)-12 (seafood) range. Parking is easily available. 52 L'Enfante Plaza bus line passes right in front.

While the place is a hole in the wall type place the food is good DR home cooking and the Presidente is cooollllddd/fria. Mama Juana shots are also available for purchase.

Feel free to send me, Deelt, or ALB3 an email by noon tomorrow to get final turnout numbers. I will call up the restaurant to make a reservation, a table set out for us. I'll post a piece of paper on the table saying DR1 for you to recognize who we are.

Deelt

Deelt, I'm in. Probably my wife too. Alright if the kids come? Too short a notice to get a sitter.

Mabe we can rope in Bob & Natasha on short notice? Anybody here know how to contact DCfred? He hasn't responded to my last e-mail and PM, so wondering what happened to him.

Regards,
Keith

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Now I am getting all excited! It would be sooo cool to meet up with all of you. I haven't seen Bob in a minute. ALB3 and I love kids, so I don't for see a problem. Do give Bob and Natasha a call. It would be great to meet Alexander too! :) But if you want a sitter I can check with my landlady's daughter to see if she is down. She's 15 and very mature and responsible for her age. I live about 3 minutes driving distance away from Carolina's. It's a really great and safe place, by all the churches.

D

Keith R said:
Deelt, I'm in. Probably my wife too. Alright if the kids come? Too short a notice to get a sitter.

Mabe we can rope in Bob & Natasha on short notice? Anybody here know how to contact DCfred? He hasn't responded to my last e-mail and PM, so wondering what happened to him.

Regards,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Deelt, don't sweat the sitter. We actually prefer the kids go out with us to Dominican/latin gatherings as much as possible, so that they grow up feeling that socializing is natural. Only exceptions are parties likely to get too rowdy or randy, which I don't expect in this case. Most times our latin friends are cool with that, and often have their kids along too. Quite different from some (but not all) of our North American acquaintances...

I'll call Bob & Natasha, and also see if I can get ahold of kingofdice (Charlie) and hormiga (Vilma). I'm trying to find JWB's phone number, but can't so far -- might be too short a notice to catch him and his wife. And as I said before, for some reason Sancohojoe has not answered my recent e-mails & PMs....

With a longer notice I could have also probably gotten my wife's cousins to come. Nice folks who live right there in DC (16th, just above Mt Pleasant), but speak little English....oh well, maybe for the BBQ, if we can put that together.

Un abrazo,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
ALB3 said:
You've been here for 18 years. You've got me beat by 13 years. I don't know of any meeting place per se but there are a couple of restaurants around. One is called Carolinas and it is on 14th St. in DC. I'm sure the DC area DR1ers will be more than happy to meet you. I know I am and I can say yes for a few others.
There is a night club in Silver Spring that is popular with the Dominican crowd -- have to ask my wife for the name and address. One thing I did not like, though -- they didn't serve Presidente!!!!!! :eek:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I totally agree with you on the kids. Multi-generational socializing is so a part of our culture. Definitely the more the merrier...On your wife's family location...let's just say I'm within walking distance. I pass there by there when I stroll all the time. ALB3 likes to practice his Spanish. So every opportunity to speak just Spanish is good.

Vamos a pasar un tiempo chulisimo...Hasta manana! Do let me know the final count so I can call Esteban at the restaurant.

Abrazos,
d
Keith R said:
I'll call Bob & Natasha, and also see if I can get ahold of kingofdice (Charlie) and hormiga (Vilma). I'm trying to find JWB's phone number, but can't so far -- might be too short a notice to catch him and his wife. And as I said before, for some reason Sancohojoe has not answered my recent e-mails & PMs....

With a longer notice I could have also probably gotten my wife's cousins to come. Nice folks who live right there in DC (16th, just above Mt Pleasant), but speak little English....oh well, maybe for the BBQ, if we can put that together.

Un abrazo,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
deelt said:
I totally agree with you on the kids. Multi-generational socializing is so a part of our culture. Definitely the more the merrier...On your wife's family location...let's just say I'm within walking distance. I pass there by there when I stroll all the time. ALB3 likes to practice his Spanish. So every opportunity to speak just Spanish is good.

Vamos a pasar un tiempo chulisimo...Hasta manana! Do let me know the final count so I can call Esteban at the restaurant.

Abrazos,
d

Well, the problem with the cousins is that they all work during various shifts, but rarely do anything without the group. So we have to give them a few days heads-up.

Count on my party of four this time, at least.

I just spoke to Natasha. Bob can't make it, he has a prior. Bob has, however, offerred to host the DC Area DR1 BBQ at his new house! (God, I like this guy!) Natasha said she'll try to come tomorrow, but no promise, especially since Alexander is teething. BTW, 'tasha says you're active in GDP, so you probably already know my wife Oneida.

I have e-mailed and/or PM'ed kingofdice, kdrja and hormiga, and left a phone message for JWB (finally found his number!). None have responded yet, but then, that's the breaks when we try these things at last minute.

Un abrazo,
Keith

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
A Nice Gathering Shaping Up

It looks like tomorrow night is going to be a blast. I'm looking forward to a plate of Bandera Dominicana and a Presidente fria. I'll finally be able to put a face to most of the names.

I'm getting excited too Deelt!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Yup, I am and I do. She's very sweet. I was the one who sent her the check, reimbursing her expenses for the picaderas she paid for a couple of meetings ago. This is definitely going to be a nice turn out. It would be the icing on the cake if Natasha could come out.
Abrazos,
D
Keith R said:
BTW, 'tasha says you're active in GDP, so you probably already know my wife Oneida.
Un abrazo,
Keith

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
deelt said:
Yup, I am and I do. She's very sweet. I was the one who sent her the check, reimbursing her expenses for the picaderas she paid for a couple of meetings ago. This is definitely going to be a nice turn out. It would be the icing on the cake if Natasha could come out.
Abrazos,
D

I'll try to make it, but like I told Keith, Alexander is teething (his canines, poor thing) and although he is playful and energetic in the beginning of the day, the evenings can be a bit more painful and he gets understandly more cranky.

BTW, is there a Metro close to Carolina's?

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Dr Seuss

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Don't know to be honest. I know I don't have metro access near my parts. The bus that passes by or near the restaurant are 52, S2, S4.

To check I would just go to wmata.com to check how would be the best way for you to get there.

I really do hope you can come. Hablamos pronto.
D

dcareamama said:
I'll try to make it, but like I told Keith, Alexander is teething (his canines, poor thing) and although he is playful and energetic in the beginning of the day, the evenings can be a bit more painful and he gets understandly more cranky.

BTW, is there a Metro close to Carolina's?

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Dr Seuss

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Hormiga is doing fine. I spoke to her about 2 weeks ago and she's been doing good. I don't know if she keeps track of DR1 anymore but I guess she got tired of all the trash-talking. Anyways, y'all have fun. If I go up there this weekend I'll make sure to call someone on this board so we can get together and help me find a case or two of Presidente, damn I miss that beer..........

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Jon S. said:
Hormiga is doing fine. I spoke to her about 2 weeks ago and she's been doing good. I don't know if she keeps track of DR1 anymore but I guess she got tired of all the trash-talking. Anyways, y'all have fun. If I go up there this weekend I'll make sure to call someone on this board so we can get together and help me find a case or two of Presidente, damn I miss that beer..........
Jon, man, you've been promising that for about a year now! I'm tired of keeping a Presidente cold for you! I'm gonna drink it myself! LOL

Seriously, I will be here Sat (but not Sun.) and you are most welcome to come have bien frias with me. You have my contact info, right? Don't be shy, man. And stop talking about it and just do it!

Best Regards,
Keith

P.S. Yeah, I've heard from Vilma too, and plan to meet up with her soon -- maybe even talk her into attending the DR1 BBQ we're cooking up.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
My family enjoyed meeting Deni (Deelt) and Alonzo (ALB3) tonight. Sorry no one else managed to make it! Carolina's has some authentic Dominican food, done well. The Presidentes were indeed cold. And the staff is quite nice. Recommend it if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Now, we have to get this BBQ idea moving! I open the floor to suggestions of dates & hours. Natasha (dcareamama) and her hubby have offered their house as long as the date is ok (if not, I might persuade my wife to relent and offer ours ;) ).

My personal preference would be Sat., Aug. 14. How would that be for folks?

Jon S., any chance you can come up from Norfolk for it?

kingofdice, Jaminican, ccarabella, dw2004, ladyday, dsupastar, ElPulpo, Hormiga, Superstar, kjdrga, DCfred, JWB, Sancochojoe, vmarchosky, how about we hear from you guys?

Lina & Betty & Bugs -- time to see if you wre just blowing NY steam or actually would make a road trip to bless our event with the Three Graces!

And I know that there are many, many DC Area lurkers out there -- STOP BEING SHY and intro yourselves! We are nice people, and we won't force you to post! Just come have a good time, find out we're human beings and dance the evening away with a Presidente in your hand.

Keith R, trying to get this party started! :cheeky:

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey Keith
Had a BLAST last night. Glad to have finally met you. It was great to hook up with your wife again. I truly believe the DC area folks are a much smaller community so we are bound to run into folks all the time. Your kids were great!

On the BBQ, I am definitely open on the dates but prefer if held before August 12, so that ALB3 can attend. Other than that put me down for either an arroz con leche or a finger-licking flan (if I can figure the heat to this new oven). I would also love to invite ya'll to my place when I get the house to myself. I'll let ya'll know with time. But I'm all about finger foods and french crepes for big events.

Thank you for everything. We well be in touch. Blessings,

D

Keith R said:
My family enjoyed meeting Deni (Deelt) and Alonzo (ALB3) tonight. Sorry no one else managed to make it! Carolina's has some authentic Dominican food, done well. The Presidentes were indeed cold. And the staff is quite nice. Recommend it if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Now, we have to get this BBQ idea moving! I open the floor to suggestions of dates & hours. Natasha (dcareamama) and her hubby have offered their house as long as the date is ok (if not, I might persuade my wife to relent and offer ours ;) ).

My personal preference would be Sat., Aug. 14. How would that be for folks?

Jon S., any chance you can come up from Norfolk for it?

kingofdice, Jaminican, ccarabella, dw2004, ladyday, dsupastar, ElPulpo, Hormiga, Superstar, kjdrga, DCfred, JWB, Sancochojoe, vmarchosky, how about we hear from you guys?

Lina & Betty & Bugs -- time to see if you wre just blowing NY steam or actually would make a road trip to bless our event with the Three Graces!

And I know that there are many, many DC Area lurkers out there -- STOP BEING SHY and intro yourselves! We are nice people, and we won't force you to post! Just come have a good time, find out we're human beings and dance the evening away with a Presidente in your hand.

Keith R, trying to get this party started! :cheeky:

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
I Third That Notion

It was indeed great meeting you and your family Keith. I look forward to more "meetings" and discussions of solutions to the problems in the DR.

Don't worry about having the BBQ before Aug. 12. I am sure that there will be plenty more.

I too would like to put it out there for the lurkers to make themselves known. I am not the most active poster on the board but the people here are indeed human and are great people.

Looking forward to meeting all of you out there.