Update on Relocating

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
hello,

Me and my family are counting down the weeks now untill we "make the big move" and i can really say that people like planner and carina are being a really big help with honoust advice.
It is pretty scary and wonderfull all at the same time and one needs al the info one can get and people on this forum seem to really look out for eachother and that a wonderfull thing!
thanks you guys!

sabrina

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey dude, cool it!

My comments were to help you have your boys visit,; to give you solid infor for your "exes" so they would not throw a conniption fit if you wanted them to visit you here. That's all. It can be done, it is being done and it is not to stress you or the former wives...

Chill guy..

HB

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
No harm, no foul

Hillbilly, like I said in the reply, my question was not meant to be disrespectful. I simply wrote it the way it entered my mind when I first read your response. No mention had been made of my children going to DR and I had, in fact, clearly stated that they would be staying with their mothers. That's why I couldn't understand the reason for your response. No harm, no foul. Look, one of the things that I've noticed on other sites is the "flaming" that goes back and forth, on occasion. It is something that really turns me off, and I have no desire to get involved in that kind of thing. My intentions are pure--to get as much information as I possibly can, and to share where I can. If I gave you the wrong impression with my response/question, then I truly do apologize. It was most certainly not meant in that way. Having said that, I hope we can get beyond this minor mistake and get down to the things I think this site is really supposd to be about. I do thank you for your info and advice.

Carina, I read your blog and it's amazing stuff. The 'life is not a rehearsal' piece really struck a chord with me. It mentioned some of the very reasons I am looking to get away. Life here is just a real pain sometimes. I am on my search for happiness, and wherever that leads me, I will follow. The DR just happens to be on the top of my list.

I am going to PP in July, but am actually going for the tourist experience. I think I'll look to schedule another trip in late September if I even have an inkling after my July trip that PP is a place that I might like to explore further. If I do, I'll be sure to let any of you who might be interested in making a connection know, and dinner and drinks will be on me. Take care.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Your July trip

Hey there, when you come down in July make sure you connect with us! Carina and I both live in POP and are more then willing to show you around.

Do the tourist thing but include some other things. We will be happy to show you where and how we live, work and play!!!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
planner said:
Hey there, when you come down in July make sure you connect with us! Carina and I both live in POP and are more then willing to show you around.

Do the tourist thing but include some other things. We will be happy to show you where and how we live, work and play!!!

... we work hard and play hard! ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Whooops, damn fingers can't keep up with my mind....LOL Thank Carina, no wonder we're friends.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Play?

I am absolutely going down to play. But I am sure I can set aside a couple of days, or a few, to see what life and work is like. I'll keep in touch. Thanks.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Hotel

BTW, planner, can you recommend a good hotel in the area? Are there any hotels that are beachside close to the action?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Actually...

... Planner is the one going out alot.. I don?t...
But I will be more than willing to show you the real & local Puerto Plata, where life is far away from general tourism!
;)

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Hope to meet you

So are you saying that planner is the "party" girl? LOL. I'm sure that no matter who I make contact with it will have been worth making a new friend. I was going down "in the dark" to begin with. So, anyone who can provide any help would be most appreciated. This will be the first time that I will have gone to a new location having a contact beforehand. And, I am traveling solo, which I usually do, so it's always comforting having someone to steer you around an area.

I do intend to enjoy myself, which translates to going out, hitting the bars/clubs, and just generally having a good time. However, I want, for the first time in my reportoire of trips, to spend as much time getting to know the area more intimately as I am in the market for a new vacation residence. Though I had my reasons at the time, I made a mistake in buying in Florida when I did. I didn't realize that I was going to spend as much time as I do traveling abroad. So, I want my next purchase to not only be the type of place that I'll vacation to but, hopefully, live some day. The only way I can make that kind of a determination is to spend at least as much time exploring the area as I might spend in the bars and clubs. For any help you can provide in that way, I thank you in advance.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Well I wouldn't call myself a party girl... but I do know where to go to have a good time.

As for hotels, what are you looking for? In playa dorada it is almost totally All inclusives. They are on the beach and you will never lack for people to do things with.

If you want outside of Playa Dorada then you have limited choices. Tell us more about what you want.....

Like, beach front, pool, air conditioning, food and drink all day or do you like to go out to eat and explore, do you want to stay in town or in the tourist area??? Come on, details please.....

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Depends on what you?re looking for..

If you want outside of Playa Dorada then you have limited choices.
Not exactly true...
It all depends on what standard/location/price you are looking for.
There are 14 hotels in Playa Dorada, they are all-inclusive, the city have even more hotels, but they are not the same standard and they do not target charter tourists.

In the city itself you have plenty of choices, allthough they are of a lower standard, but with another location and other prices. There prices in the city ranges from 800 pesos - 1000 pesos per night appr. Most of them have cable, 24 h electricity etc.

Portofino guesthouse - walking distance to Long Beach/Malecon, plain rooms, most forigners.Popular bar/restaurant beside the guesthouse.

Puerto Plata Beach Hotel - Big suites, 1 bedroom, 1 livingarea, 1 bathroom and kitchenette. Pool. By the Malecon.

Lomar - Rooms, pool, safe etc. Also by the Malecon

Hotel Hans - Small roomrental close to Malecon

Noelle/ Sofys Bed&Breakfast. Noelle is Canadian and has the best and most visited breakfast in town. Walking distance to Malecon as well.

Victoriano - Hotel downtown. Also many foreigners.

Castilla/Sams Bar - Legendary hotel downtown from 1890. Rooms very plain, crowdy, from 4 US/night American owned by Joanne.

Serena - Located close to Central Park. Apartments- suits.

Village - Located close to supermarket Tropical in the city. Also apartments.

Larrys apartments - on his own toproof with pool, close to city and Long beach. Larry is Canadian.

Studio/apartamentos Atlantico. Small nice studios with kitchenette, beside the Rum factory

Canadian Apartments - Just across Supermarket Jose Luis

Swedish Guesthouse - Beside the above. Pool.

Ilra - Old house from 1860 in the city, just around the corner from Central Park. Many Americans/backpackers from all parts of the world.

Juans Apartments - Behind the policestation.

Castilla del ambar - in the Marapica area of Puerto Plata.

Condado - Close to supermarket Jose Luis.

Sunshine - Same as Condado. Has a quite popular restaurant for lunch.

Papagayo - Very accommodation place in the city.

Latin Quarters - Also Malecon

There are more, on the Malecon and on Long Beach itself, but I think this would be enough...

Apart from that you have Costambar, Maimon and Cofresi just outside Puerto Plata, and of course Sosua that is 30 min away and a great place to have fun in.
So basically, as planner so well said, deside where and what you want, location, beach/no beach, all-inclusive or not. and then go ahead and have fun wherever you end up!

Last edited:

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Playa Dorada?

On my first trip to Acapulco I stayed in a place called Las Brisas. It was a great place, but I had to take a 20 minute cab ride to get anywhere. I have since stayed in the La Condesa area and now all I have to do is to step out of the hotel and have immediate access to Bars/clubs, stores, restaurants. This is what I would be looking for there, if it exists. I am okay with the place being all-inclusive. It's more a matter of its proximity for me.

I have done my homework on various sites and, although the descriptions describe the hotels in fair detail, I have no clue as to whether they are near or far. For instance, you mentioned Playa Dorada. I have no idea where this is. It could be a 20 minute ride from PP. Again, thanks.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
jackquontee said:
On my first trip to Acapulco I stayed in a place called Las Brisas. It was a great place, but I had to take a 20 minute cab ride to get anywhere. I have since stayed in the La Condesa area and now all I have to do is to step out of the hotel and have immediate access to Bars/clubs, stores, restaurants. This is what I would be looking for there, if it exists. I am okay with the place being all-inclusive. It's more a matter of its proximity for me.

I have done my homework on various sites and, although the descriptions describe the hotels in fair detail, I have no clue as to whether they are near or far. For instance, you mentioned Playa Dorada. I have no idea where this is. It could be a 20 minute ride from PP. Again, thanks.

Playa Dorada is a huge tourist complex with 14 hotels, plaza, cinema, some restaurants, discos etc. It is located 10 min by car from Puerto Plata.
If you go by taxi you will pay touristprices, unless you take a cab from outside the gates of the touristcomplex. Then add a 10 min walk up to the gates.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
jackquontee said:
Sounds like what I'm looking for. Do you have any contact info?

Puerto Plata Beach Hotel is located on the beach walk, Malecon.
Right on the Malecon there is bars, restaurants and also Long Beach that holds bars. You are a 5 min walk up to the heart of Puerto Plata as well.
Across the hotel there is a bar/restaurant Cosita Rica, and beside that a small beach. The hotel have a pool, and even people living here comes to that pool, provided access for a small amount, on weekends. Mostly expats of course...
The hotel consists of several buildings, and have a guarded gate.
Some of the buildings holds suits that are sold to people, that use them as holiday suites or they lives here permanently.

The phone number is 586 42 43, or international +1 809 586 42 43.

I just called them, a room is 1.100 pesos per night incl. taxes.

Rooms there, as I wrote are all suites with balcony, livingroom, bathroom, kitchenette, bedroom. They have cable and hot water as well.

Let me know when you come, and I can call and make the reservation for you.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
God Bless you

Carina, I really appreciate your assistance. I already have had flight reservations from July 19-26, so I just needed to nail down the hotel. Could you please PM me and let me know what detailed info you'll need to make the reservation arrangements?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
jackquontee said:
Carina, I really appreciate your assistance. I already have had flight reservations from July 19-26, so I just needed to nail down the hotel. Could you please PM me and let me know what detailed info you'll need to make the reservation arrangements?

I need only your name, so please PM me that.
You pay when you come directly to the hotel. I just call and make the reservation for you. No problems!