US Airways specials

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
US Airways is advertising discounted prices as they introduce their Santo Domingo Fort Lauderdale flight. A R/T from SDQ to Fort Lauderdale is listed as US$198. The same kind of fare for Newark (must have a stopover) is listed as US$136, Washington D.C. is US$166. Add taxes and airport charges to these fares.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
i just went to usairways.com, they have the FLL -to- SDQ flight @ $106pp +tx. Search by 'price' rather than 'schedule' to see the fares & valid dates.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
buyer beware

I had a very difficult experience travelling USAirways last week. Lost luggage, overbooked flights (they actually came onto the plane begging for volunteers). The overbooked flights were ridiculous. The luggage issue was ridiculous.

In spite of the crazy overbooking and lost luggage, I will say this: USAirways employees are very cheerful and helpful in light of dire circumstances. On my way down to Valencia I got stuck in Miami for a few hours, sans luggage, and the lady at the desk at 2 am gave me her cellphone to make some arrangements. I found this gesture to be very kind. With lines and lines of irate customers the people at the desks were patient and understanding.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
MaineGirl said:
I had a very difficult experience travelling USAirways last week. Lost luggage, overbooked flights (they actually came onto the plane begging for volunteers). The overbooked flights were ridiculous. The luggage issue was ridiculous.
Unfortunately, that is with all airlines. Every major airline I've ever flown has had problems with lost luggage. TSA handles most of the luggage now & isn't the airlines fault most of the time.

Overbooking of flights issue, is actually a formular all the airlines use. They factor in how many people will miss connecting flights, no-shows, etc. & determine how many seats they can oversell. It's BS, but that's just the nature of their business. It isn't just US Airways

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I understand the nature of airlines. I fly them all the time. My favorite happens to be Northwest Express. Used to use it to visit my (ex) inlaws and my favorite part was the complimentary champagne and big leather seats.

Anyway. The baggage loss in question has reached new heights. I've had lost luggage before; it is part and parcel of the experience. However, when three consecutive flights come in, and over 75 people are in line to file claims within a twenty minute period--that makes it ridiculous. I also read in Time last week (or Newsweek or one of those small volumes) that USAirways had a record number of lost luggage the week before last. 90,000 pieces is the number that comes to mind but do not quote me, I shall go look it up.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Bigcity27: don't know how you find them. I went 9:30 a.m. price= $206.00 + tax. I never seem to get the " specials" that others find. For flight leaving tomorrow fll/stg or fll/pop = $393.00.
Did you mean originating in the D.R.?
John

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
airfares

Just booked!! AA mia/sti-pop/mia=$340.00 tax and title included. Tonight til the 9th.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
duhtree said:
Bigcity27: don't know how you find them. I went 9:30 a.m. price= $206.00 + tax. I never seem to get the " specials" that others find. For flight leaving tomorrow fll/stg or fll/pop = $393.00.
Did you mean originating in the D.R.?
John
It was there yesterday, but I just read today that US Airways is going to scale back their routes from Fort Lauderdale. Where I am, I have no other options, as far as airlines go. I check certain routes everyday.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
BigCity27 said:
It was there yesterday, but I just read today that US Airways is going to scale back their routes from Fort Lauderdale. Where I am, I have no other options, as far as airlines go. I check certain routes everyday.

Us airways will still serve Santo domingo-Fort lauderdale route on a daily basis.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
santobonao said:
Us airways will still serve Santo domingo-Fort lauderdale route on a daily basis.
They introduced Santo Domingo from Fort Lauderdale with Panama, Guatemala, & San Salvador. And they are failing with those routes. They cancelled all the other flights from May onward. They will continue to do SDQ, but if they keep losing money, How much longer will they keep that route? http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05062/465422.stm

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MaineGirl said:
..The overbooked flights were ridiculous. The luggage issue was ridiculous.
Overbooking can actually be a good thing. Most airlines when they overbook offer incentives for voluntary bumps. Continental used to give as much as $450 per ticket and put you in First Class on the next available flight. If you have a somewhat flexible schedule it can be good, unfortunately for me, they seemed to stop overbooking.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
rellosk said:
Overbooking can actually be a good thing. Most airlines when they overbook offer incentives for voluntary bumps. Continental used to give as much as $450 per ticket and put you in First Class on the next available flight. If you have a somewhat flexible schedule it can be good, unfortunately for me, they seemed to stop overbooking.
Delta overbooked on a scheduled flight from sdq to jfk last week. I got up to$400 per ticket for four of us and was put up at the Hamaca. Not a bad deal.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Well, I did take a bump on the way down, and I did get flown first class Philly to Miami. The system is not without its advantages. Unfortunately me stuck in Miami without underwear did not not seem particularly advantageous.