US ATM Card Use

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Sounds to me like the whole ATM experience will be quite the "adventure." There seems to be much more information on this thread than I had expected. I'll bring cash and use the ATM as my plan B.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
?ou North americans seem to have a lot of problems with getting money from a hole in the wall as we Brits call an ATM. I the UK one can check charges etc out through the internet and the simplest rule is NEVER use a Bank credit card. I use a Viisa card issued by the building society Nationwide and a Mastercard issued by Lombard Direct. Neither make any charge for withdrawing money from an ATM neither do they add any transaction fee to the Visa or Mastercard exchange rate. The interest rate is slightly higher than that on purchases. I have been able to withdraw money here from any ATM ( unless it?s run out!)but the maximum sum per transaction is RD$ 10,000. And yes I do advise them where I am.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
?ou North americans seem to have a lot of problems with getting money from a hole in the wall as we Brits call an ATM. I the UK one can check charges etc out through the internet and the simplest rule is NEVER use a Bank credit card. I use a Viisa card issued by the building society Nationwide and a Mastercard issued by Lombard Direct. Neither make any charge for withdrawing money from an ATM neither do they add any transaction fee to the Visa or Mastercard exchange rate. The interest rate is slightly higher than that on purchases. I have been able to withdraw money here from any ATM ( unless it?s run out!)but the maximum sum per transaction is RD$ 10,000. And yes I do advise them where I am.

Thanks...I wonder if this will work with my VISA/MASTERCARD as well being from the US...

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Frog etcetera . . . using the ATM cards is just not that big an issue. There have been problems -- sure -- but they're an easy way to get hold of your money without a lot of hassle and chance. Using them IN the bank is a good idea and yes a credit card such as Visa or MC is also a good idea, but I've only had to use one once to get money -- when an electric storm hit the Samana Peninsula and cut out the services for a few days.