US Congresmen call for investigation into DR sugar sector

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Is that still relevant.? That was ten years ago.
It is ongoing.... perhaps worse now that Fr. Hartley is not th
Is that still relevant.? That was ten years ago.
..."Outside the cramped, dimly lit homes, just hard earth; when it rains, the dwellings become islands between massive puddles. In many bateyes, there are no fruit trees, not even subsistence gardens. Despite company denials, families in at least a dozen bateyes told us they’re not allowed to grow food. In a country with near-universal access to electricity, only one in 10 of Central Romana’s bateyes have power, by a local missionary organization’s estimate. There is little official documentation of conditions in the bateyes; seven Dominican government institutions failed to provide us with such statistics. The country’s Washington embassy sent us a statement boasting of great strides tackling poverty, but with no details on bateyes. One of the few sources of hard data is a 2013 report from the Dominican Ministry of Public Health, co-sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the US Agency for International Development, which found sharply elevated levels of tuberculosis, HIV, child malnutrition, and diarrhea. Another study indicated that nearly half the adult population in the bateyes have never attended school.

Perhaps all this is what Central Romana and its armed security are trying to hide."...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
As Melphis said to you in another thread :

" Why you need to comment after pretty much every post is still a mystery to most of us, but , what the hell are you on about??
Maybe back off on the Brugal
Rum and keyboards don't mix. Maybe play in the street if you have extra energy to burn off "

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
Thanks for catching that post. The mods deleted it. I'm sure they will delete it again.
But the cook or chef whatever he goes by now should really go play in heavy traffic. Really heavy traffic 🤣🤣

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It is ongoing.... perhaps worse now that Fr. Hartley is not th

..."Outside the cramped, dimly lit homes, just hard earth; when it rains, the dwellings become islands between massive puddles. In many bateyes, there are no fruit trees, not even subsistence gardens. Despite company denials, families in at least a dozen bateyes told us they’re not allowed to grow food. In a country with near-universal access to electricity, only one in 10 of Central Romana’s bateyes have power, by a local missionary organization’s estimate. There is little official documentation of conditions in the bateyes; seven Dominican government institutions failed to provide us with such statistics. The country’s Washington embassy sent us a statement boasting of great strides tackling poverty, but with no details on bateyes. One of the few sources of hard data is a 2013 report from the Dominican Ministry of Public Health, co-sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the US Agency for International Development, which found sharply elevated levels of tuberculosis, HIV, child malnutrition, and diarrhea. Another study indicated that nearly half the adult population in the bateyes have never attended school.

Perhaps all this is what Central Romana and its armed security are trying to hide."...

That description could be of numerous barrios that are filled with poor Dominicans. Bad as the living conditions of the sugar cane workers are it must still be better than Haiti. I had a discussion with an American doctor missionary here in Jarabacoa. He said as bad off as the Haitian immigrants are they are ten times better off that the people he was the doctor for in the Ozarks.

Reactions: Auryn

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That description could be of numerous barrios that are filled with poor Dominicans. Bad as the living conditions of the sugar cane workers are it must still be better than Haiti. I had a discussion with an American doctor missionary here in Jarabacoa. He said as bad off as the Haitian immigrants are they are ten times better off that the people he was the doctor for in the Ozarks.
Youtube (search) Kensington, Philidelphia sometime. Makes the Bateys look like paradise. Hyprocrites.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We could all drive out to the cane fields in our shinny SUV's and spend 10 to 12 hours a day to help lighten the load on the Haitians working the cane. Or we could shut up and let the Dominican government deal with it as they have been for decades.

Or we could all go back to our home countries and fix the problems there before we stand on our collective soap boxes and interfere here as we all did such great jobs of fixing things back home.

Annie your past posts prove that your heart is with helping the Haitians and NSP has your back and that's admirable. Unfortunately you guys are flogging a dead horse.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We could all drive out to the cane fields in our shinny SUV's and spend 10 to 12 hours a day to help lighten the load on the Haitians working the cane. Or we could shut up and let the Dominican government deal with it as they have been for decades.

Or we could all go back to our home countries and fix the problems there before we stand on our collective soap boxes and interfere here as we all did such great jobs of fixing things back home.

Annie your past posts prove that your heart is with helping the Haitians and NSP has your back and that's admirable. Unfortunately you guys are flogging a dead horse.
While I agree the country of Haiti is beyond hope, the people are not. So if Annie or I or anyone else wants to help some individuals, that's our prerogative. Beating a dead horse? Not quite. We can and should do what we are able to do in order to help those who can't help themselves.

As far as our home country is concerned, most if not all problems there are self inflicted. There are sufficient avenues for anyone to help themselves. We can't force someone not to make bad choices.

Reactions: Auryn

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
While I agree the country of Haiti is beyond hope, the people are not. So if Annie or I or anyone else wants to help some individuals, that's our prerogative. Beating a dead horse? Not quite. We can and should do what we are able to do in order to help those who can't help themselves.

As far as our home country is concerned, most if not all problems there are self inflicted. There are sufficient avenues for anyone to help themselves. We can't force someone not to make bad choices.
Most of Haiti's problems are also self-inflicted.

• Love
Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, by politicians and others in control. Not by the average Kenson and Kencia.
Like in any other country, politicians can only do what the population allows them to get away with except in countries like China and Venezuela where the military is so powerful and the control absolute.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Like in any other country, politicians can only do what the population allows them to get away with except in countries like China and Venezuela where the military is so powerful and the control absolute.
Actually they Oriental vs Occidental way of thinking is quite different. I think a better example would Venezuela and Australia.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Definitely. The US sugar production has been ramping down for decades.
Too expensive to pay the cost.
Not sure it's a bad thing and if demand is there the jobs will move outside the US.
Puerto Rico completely lost its sugarcane industry because the Puerto Ricans would not work in the fields at a price that was competitive.
Sugar is a dangerous poison. Probably worse than alcohol, tobacco, and not using seat belts. What they should be doing is something to decrease the demand for sugar. No one 's going to finance a campaign with that plank its platform though.