US Embassy: Exercise caution when using dating apps

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Dating-Apps-USA-Embassy-DR-1024x607.png

The United States Embassy is urging US citizens to exercise caution when using dating apps. Tourists are alerted to be especially aware.

The US Embassy says that scammers know that millions of people use online dating apps and they are on the apps. “They are experts at what they do and will seem genuine, caring, and believable, but they have hidden motives that can cause you harm and put you in dangerous situations,” warns the Embassy.

“Tourists can often be targeted through location-based dating apps on their phone and when they meet another user, they are sometimes assaulted and robbed,” highlights the US Embassy.

It urges US citizens to exercise extreme caution before meeting with someone after connecting virtually through a dating app.

Read more:US Embassy

25 August 2022

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
My thoughts exactly ‼️
Not to turn this into a dating site, but there are safer ways. Have the person take their phone and call you. Your phone in front of you. You have the proper number and the name. Better than one for the local fishmonger.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Not to turn this into a dating site, but there are safer ways. Have the person take their phone and call you. Your phone in front of you. You have the proper number and the name. Better than one for the local fishmonger.
But you can't you buy sim cards off the street?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If your phone works for the app it should work for the number, right? Well, unless you're still on the plane.
The profile is fake and is attached to a fake identity.
Now I am not the criminal type.
But I have a professional background investigating them.
And a smart one is not going to have a sim card that can be traced to them.
And after they have done the deed they are going to get rid of the sim card.
At least the smart ones are. :sneaky:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
In DR you need to show your ID to buy a SIM card. If there is a problem and you have the person's phone number, you can go to the police and they can / will find out who that phone is registered to. And if it's a local they will find them. So if you have someone's number you are a lot safer.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
The profile is fake and is attached to a fake identity.
Now I am not the criminal type.
But I have a professional background investigating them.
And a smart one is not going to have a sim card that can be traced to them.
And after they have done the deed they are going to get rid of the sim card.
At least the smart ones are. :sneaky:
You're right but I think you missed my point. Get the persons number from them personally, not an app.