US Embassy Warning About Night Driving On Autopista Duarte

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I was warned by a local several months ago to avoid the Villa Altagracia-San Cristobal road because of the robberies that were taking place on that road, even during the day. It is a nice stretch of road but the warnings said several people, Dominicans, had been treated violently when they resisted. It happened after a rain storm when the road was partially flooded and cars slowed down to navigate the water in the road. A few well placed boards and it is easy to cause a flood on the road. I have stayed off that road since.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
[h=2][/h]
Obviously the mayor lied. But, hopefully, now that he has certified the stretch as safe he will be motivated to make sure there are no more incidents.​

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sure as Lie

Obviously the mayor lied. But, hopefully, now that he has certified the stretch as safe he will be motivated to make sure there are no more incidents.

The liar certifies...
and makes sure....

Sure.

:tired:

donP

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This all really goes back to what the vast majority of ex-pats that have lived here for a decent amount of time have learned. That is you don't drive at night unless you have to. Not only for what this thread is about, but for a lot of other reasons that people that live here understand.

Dec 26, 2011
This all really goes back to what the vast majority of ex-pats that have lived here for a decent amount of time have learned. That is you don't drive at night unless you have to. Not only for what this thread is about, but for a lot of other reasons that people that live here understand.

Most of the headlights are mysteriously stuck on high-beam. Must be the humidity.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
is this area considered to be "out in the sticks"??? I definitely remember various posts describing areas out in the campo or away from cities as nice, safe places. They weren't specifically talking about Villa Altagracia, but in general about places away from cities. Looked on a map, and this is a hike from Santo Domingo.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
is this area considered to be "out in the sticks"??? I definitely remember various posts describing areas out in the campo or away from cities as nice, safe places. They weren't specifically talking about Villa Altagracia, but in general about places away from cities. Looked on a map, and this is a hike from Santo Domingo.

This is the main highway from Santo Domingo to Santiago and on to the north coast.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
I drove right through there with my bright red rental along with many other cars.
This road is very popular. I'm not sure how to "avoid it" is one has to travel between Santiago and Santo Domingo?

Dec 26, 2011
I drove right through there with my bright red rental along with many other cars.
This road is very popular. I'm not sure how to "avoid it" is one has to travel between Santiago and Santo Domingo?

The suggestion isn't to avoid the area entirely but rather to hit it during daylight hours.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Obviously the mayor lied. But, hopefully, now that he has certified the stretch as safe he will be motivated to make sure there are no more incidents.​

Hey, mido, I see you dislike this post. I'm curious, are you the major of Villa Altagracia or one of his associates?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hey, mido, I see you dislike this post. I'm curious, are you the major of Villa Altagracia or one of his associates?

Sorry Ken! I meant to hit the like button but hit the dislike button by accident! No way to reverse that.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry Ken! I meant to hit the like button but hit the dislike button by accident! No way to reverse that.

No problem, happens to all of us. Relieved to know you are not the offended His Honor the mayor.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
LOl typically Domincan blantantly corrupt but smile in your face and say its not true ! All the whil your getting screwed from berhindLOl I remember they stole a guys tow truck in Cabarete in this area about 2 years ago . Just like the US warning about people getting robbed coming from Lasd Americas airport but heresthe big question why does it take warnings from the US Embassy to get things done ??? Because the PN are getting a cut out of the criminal activities in order to fix the PN it needs a mass firing from the top down id even say bring in international police to fill some of its ranks !!! But that will never happen LOL