US Law enforcement, bringing a firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Asked and answered.

The importation and exportation of firearms, firearm parts, ammunition and gun powder by civilians is prohibited.
The unlicensed possession of firearms by nonresidents or non-citizens is prohibited.

Due to the transportation requirements for a declared firearm on a US airline, there is no way the DR will not know a passenger is arriving with a firearm. There are no provisions in place that allow the checking of a firearm on a flight leaving the DR.

I would think that any law enforcement officer would need to report their intention to travel out of state with their police issued firearm. They would certainly be required to report leaving the country with it even if only for a week or two. So this is probably more a case of a leo wanting to bring a personally owned firearm on vacation. In either case, the answer remains the same. If he brings it, it will be confiscated and he'll never see it again.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Good grief, you guys get worked up over nothing. He has carried his gun where ever he goes for 25 years without incident. When he comes, I knew he would ask if he could carry, so I thought I would ask. There is no shoot out planned, nor did he plan to flash his gun around the country. It was just a simple question.

Foreign firearm laws are not "nothing" and will land "your friend" in jail. Tell "your friend" to leave the weapon at home if he wants to retain possession of it.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Unless traveling on official government business as a State Trooper, coordinated and approved by both countries....he cannot legally bring a weapon into the country.
There are exceptions....but none based on this set of facts.

I would hope that if "the friend" was traveling on official business, there wouldn't need to be inquiries on an internet message forum, and that *someone* would have gotten the US State Department et al engaged.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I know from experience that a Dominican law enforcement officer who is not on official airport duty is not allowed to carry his weapon through the airport security in the DR.
My PN friend had to leave his behind when we went on a private flight out of POP.
As a foreigner and unless on sanctioned official duty in the DR it's unlikely that it would be permitted.

He would need a special permission and I have no idea where he would get that.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Asked and answered.

The importation and exportation of firearms, firearm parts, ammunition and gun powder by civilians is prohibited.
The unlicensed possession of firearms by nonresidents or non-citizens is prohibited.

Due to the transportation requirements for a declared firearm on a US airline, there is no way the DR will not know a passenger is arriving with a firearm. There are no provisions in place that allow the checking of a firearm on a flight leaving the DR.

I would think that any law enforcement officer would need to report their intention to travel out of state with their police issued firearm. They would certainly be required to report leaving the country with it even if only for a week or two. So this is probably more a case of a leo wanting to bring a personally owned firearm on vacation. In either case, the answer remains the same. If he brings it, it will be confiscated and he'll never see it again.

Helpful and constructive. Thanks.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I know from experience that a Dominican law enforcement officer who is not on official airport duty is not allowed to carry his weapon through the airport security in the DR.
My PN friend had to leave his behind when we went on a private flight out of POP.
As a foreigner and unless on sanctioned official duty in the DR it's unlikely that it would be permitted.

He would need a special permission and I have no idea where he would get that.

Helpful and constructive. Thanks

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I would hope that if "the friend" was traveling on official business, there wouldn't need to be inquiries on an internet message forum, and that *someone* would have gotten the US State Department et al engaged.

Not helpful, nor constructive.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Foreign firearm laws are not "nothing" and will land "your friend" in jail. Tell "your friend" to leave the weapon at home if he wants to retain possession of it.

Not helpful nor constructive. He had no intention of loading his gunsafe into his luggage and trying to smuggle it into the country without doing some research. I was just asking a simple, preliminary question, hoping someone from law enforcement could give me a helpful answer, rather than spend an afternoon researching guns laws. People asked why this forum is so quiet anymore, and it is because of so many "condescending" people.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Americans and their love affair with guns........sigh..........

What kind of holiday do you go on where you need a gun? Oh yes, I forgot....An African safari.

Yes I know, not helpful nor constructive either.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Not helpful, nor constructive.

Ah, I get it. You're really looking for someone to tell you how to bypass the controls at the airport. Because pretty much everyone is giving you the same information, in different ways. And instead of accepting the consistency of the messages, you're complaining about how the message is being delivered.

Much luck to ya.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Americans and their love affair with guns........sigh..........

What kind of holiday do you go on where you need a gun? Oh yes, I forgot....An African safari.

Yes I know, not helpful nor constructive either.

Well when the Muslims take over Europe, you can fight them off with a heavy dose of sarcasm.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Ah, I get it. You're really looking for someone to tell you how to bypass the controls at the airport. Because pretty much everyone is giving you the same information, in different ways. And instead of accepting the consistency of the messages, you're complaining about how the message is being delivered.

Much luck to ya.

Dude/Maam, whatever. If I got 5 no answers from law enforcement with a few reasons why, I would have just told my friend that he could not and that would have been the end of it.

If I got 5 yes answers, and the proper procedures to do so, I would have told my friend "maybe, . . . I heard that you can . . " And then I am sure he would have looked into it further, as well as myself, since I would not want to wait for 6 hours in the airport while they straightened stuff out. The people who told me "no", I thanked and dropped the subject. Why are you making up stuff in your head? It was a simple question to find out if others have done this, or it was impossible. God.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Well when the Muslims take over Europe, you can fight them off with a heavy dose of sarcasm.

Wow! That's a scary post right there!

Good job we're armed with plenty of sarcasm. Can be a very useful weapon if used correctly.

Better than hatred. Too much of a motivator for the wrong reasons.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Dude/Maam, whatever. If I got 5 no answers from law enforcement with a few reasons why, I would have just told my friend that he could not and that would have been the end of it.

If I got 5 yes answers, and the proper procedures to do so, I would have told my friend "maybe, . . . I heard that you can . . " And then I am sure he would have looked into it further, as well as myself, since I would not want to wait for 6 hours in the airport while they straightened stuff out. The people who told me "no", I thanked and dropped the subject. Why are you making up stuff in your head? It was a simple question to find out if others have done this, or it was impossible. God.
Yes, I'm making up Dominican firearm laws. You caught me. I've only lived here for 2 years and have only researched how to bring my own firearms into the country. But I'm just making it up.

Good lord, I'm feeding the troll. That ends now.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Yes, I'm making up Dominican firearm laws. You caught me. I've only lived here for 2 years and have only researched how to bring my own firearms into the country. But I'm just making it up.

Good lord, I'm feeding the troll. That ends now.

Goodnight. Go kick the dog.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Unfortunately your friend is not permitted to transport nor carry a firearm in the Dominican Republic. U.S. law enforcement officials operating in the Dominican Republic carry under diplomatic and mutual provisions underlined by the Dept of State. U.S. law enforcement has a fairly large presence here, however local and state law enforcement do not. If your friend wants to carry his service weapon on vacation in the Caribbean, I would suggest Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

why unfortunately?...who needs another cop in the d.r.....surely there are enough cops in the d.r.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
E

Buzz you offered helpful advice. Most like to come up with a clever answer rather than something constructive. Thank you.

I heard a Dominican police officer could carry in Canada np...they give you free hotel and plane ticket back after a long stay in concrete hotel first... Yeah I want some a$$'carrying gun anywhere but he is cop must be safe roflmfao ...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Any law enforcement officers traveling to the DR with a gun? My friend is a PA State policeman. Is he permitted to check his gun on the plane? Second question, does he need any special permit once he arrives in the DR, or is he allowed to carry due to his occupation in the US?

Maybe he could be the first police officer from the US to shoot an unarmed person of color in the DR? Why would you even consider bringing a gun while on vacation? Not a smart idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.