US travel visa for Dominicans

A

Aguaita29

How was the husband allowed to attend the interview? The rules are that only an interpreter or someone that is providing assistance to a disabled applicant can attend an interview.

I wasn't even allowed inside, or even stand outside in the shade. Like Winde, I had to wait up on a hill a couple blocks away.
I know someone whose spouse was also allowed in By the way, at the US Embassy FB page they have the "Ask The Consul" chat, I remember someone asking if her husband could accompany her to her visa interview as he also had a tourist visa, and the "consul", said yes. That was over a year ago, if I recall correctly.

S

SNH

There are more countries opening up for Dominicans. One that I know of and like very much is Colombia. I go often and have considered renting an apartment in Medellin (as a U.S. citizen I can be in Colombia for up to 6 months). I have several friends, of the female persuasion, wanting me to take them on my next trip.
P.S. You date yourself putting the "N" in front of Vietnam, however since I am also old enough to remember when there was a S and N I get it. BTW, Vietnam is on my list of places to visit, but agreed I doubt it is on the list for many Dominicans.

Done,Done & Done. Agreed 100%

U

USA DOC

DRdreaming, are you from Canada as well?

It is virtually impossible for a Dominican to get a US visitor's visa if they have a US Citizen spouse. I realize that the OP is Canadian, so this is not an automatic disqualification for them.

….Mi esposa got her visa on first try...10 year visitors...I am American..Before I filled out the form online I asked a friend in the state department how many are given out..less than 2%..he also said any mistakes on the form means disqualification.. and Its only going to get harder... they do have sort of a quota system..they know about how many will be given out..the unknown factor is how many will apply...that's why you will see a person get a visa that normally wouldn't have...She had he interview on the 28th of Dec..the end of the month and, of the year..She was also the only one I saw that morning that got one...……...Doc...…...

L

Linda Stapleton

….Mi esposa got her visa on first try...10 year visitors...I am American..Before I filled out the form online I asked a friend in the state department how many are given out..less than 2%..he also said any mistakes on the form means disqualification.. and Its only going to get harder... they do have sort of a quota system..they know about how many will be given out..the unknown factor is how many will apply...that's why you will see a person get a visa that normally wouldn't have...She had he interview on the 28th of Dec..the end of the month and, of the year..She was also the only one I saw that morning that got one...……...Doc...…...

I'm really glad she got it but the whole system is so unfair. In answer to the people who were asking me about how anyone was allowed to attend the interview with the applicant, I just spoke to them. She said because he was with her, along with their baby, and made a loud enough noise, he was allowed to attend, not usual, I know.

U

USA DOC

How was the husband allowed to attend the interview? The rules are that only an interpreter or someone that is providing assistance to a disabled applicant can attend an interview.

I wasn't even allowed inside, or even stand outside in the shade. Like Winde, I had to wait up on a hill a couple blocks away.

...Being American I showed them my passport and said I had some questions... they let me in and said go to the second floor..I asked some stupid questions, while she had her interview...and the person who said that embassy is the last place to be involved with is right...if you are American, yes it is your embassy but.....If you need help replacing passports, ss cards anything like that you will be only dealing with Dominican employees , you will be lied to ..treated like ****..made to wait hours for no reason..then get to wait outside in the sun in line for the wonderful people at Domex delivery service...it is your embassy but definitely no help to Americans...……...

karmatourer

Nov 15, 2018
There is no North Viet Nam? But I get your point.

Linda Stapelton's post is the norm for what happens.
They make noise about bank accounts, homes and ties to the DR but its b.s.

What is worse is that when you are denied they refuse to give you a reason other than "in the opinion of the interviewer you are not qualified.

This situation stems from the fact that when Dominicans get a good look at life in a first world country they stay.
The fact is that a Dominican can live better as an undocumented person in the US than the average here.
You can get visas to Indonesia, N. Viet Nam and the like. Places no one wants to go.
Most Dominicans do not realize they are prisoners on the island.
They do give out a very small number so they cannot be accused of turning everyone down and it is pretty arbitrary.