Used Vehicle Bought But Cant Put Title in My name?

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for your reply. Yes I have decided to gamble and ride this thing out. Apparently you missed the detail in my 1st post? I paid the car off already. At the dealership I made a down payment initially, and within a few weeks wired the balance to pay it off. What I thought was to happen next was for me to get the title of the vehicle.

This is how I found out the situation I was in with an exonerated vehicle owned by a private owner, and not owned by the dealership or a bank. So unfortunately it's a little too late holding back funds.

Again, if it is true I do not need residency to facilitate having the title in my name, that will be fine with me. But here's a question. Dont I require having a DR drivers license? I thought I read somewhere, that after being here 90 days one is supposed to have a DR license. I suspect many expats that live in the DR dont have a DR license. They drive freely here and carry their driver license from their home country.

Sorry, I misread your original post.

I have insurance in my name...and the insurance company tells me it is ok to drive on my US license.....as long as I regularly return to the US and come back....no one defined regularly.

At a minimum I would ask for a copy of the matricula verifying that at least the guy who sold it to you....owns it.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Sorry, I misread your original post.

I have insurance in my name...and the insurance company tells me it is ok to drive on my US license.....as long as I regularly return to the US and come back....no one defined regularly.

At a minimum I would ask for a copy of the matricula verifying that at least the guy who sold it to you....owns it.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I have the original title in my possession. It has the owners name, when he brought the car into the country. August 2012. I have a copy of his cedula, and a document with his signature selling the car to me, my signature, and Auto Mayellas lawyers signature and stamp. So it looks like I do have something indicating a sales agreement was made to sell the car to me. I just have to wait until August 2015 in order to transfer the title in my name, and actually own the vehicle. All other risks as weve discussed are in effect during my wait.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have the original title in my possession. It has the owners name, when he brought the car into the country. August 2012. I have a copy of his cedula, and a document with his signature selling the car to me, my signature, and Auto Mayellas lawyers signature and stamp. So it looks like I do have something indicating a sales agreement was made to sell the car to me. I just have to wait until August 2015 in order to transfer the title in my name, and actually own the vehicle. All other risks as weve discussed are in effect during my wait.
Unless he goes and gets a new matricula claiming he lost it.

Then you have one helluva expensive fight on your hands with no real way of assuring a win.

Good Luck!

Wrx: you do NOT legally own that car. Period.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
best advice out of this ...STAY AWAY FROM AUTO MAYELLA
Let this also be reinforcement for anybody else. Just because somebody claims to know somebody at a business personally, that dont mean jack when it comes to business. My dominican businessman friend, I thought was going to be an asset to me from having problems. In the end he didnt know nothing about this dealers shady business practices. And initially he wasnt much help when it came to the process of me buying the car or getting adequate insurance at the dealership. And not much help doing follow ups on the processing of my paperwork at the dealership and keeping me informed.

I got more help from my gringo neighbor here in the DR who made a phone call for me and got certain details straight. The day I went to get all of the paperwork, my dominican friend was only useful for some translation. And able to get the lawyer to come to dealership promptly. While acquiring my papers, the lady in that dept was either incompetent or purposely trying to bamboozle me some more. When she submitted the sales agreement with me and the seller, she omitted the amount of the sale on the document. This is the main sales document I have indicating a purchase of the vehicle. While there, it became apparent to me that Auto Mayella never had one with me. Only evidence towards a sale was my down payment to them. Oh I do have a wire transfer receipt to Auto Mayella. But it doesnt indicate it is for a particular vehicle.

So in essence the rep at AM filled in the purchase amount after the lawyer left? And I suspect they had the owner of the vehicle sign the form and they typed the information in later. So how valid could that sales document possibly be? But then many of us have had documents presented to us incomplete, or not fully read or understood and were told to sign here, initial here, here and here. Oh well to be continued......

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'd hire a lawyer and get your money back.

You don't have a valid sales contract because the seller cannot legally enter into one.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Wrx: you do NOT legally own that car. Period.
Thanks. But I hope every one is following me? I have fully acknowledged I that I dont legally own the car. Is there something I wrote indicating otherwise? After all, a couple of folks missed where I said I already paid for the car in full.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks. But I hope every one is following me? I have fully acknowledged I that I dont legally own the car. Is there something I wrote indicating otherwise? After all, a couple of folks missed where I said I already paid for the car in full.
That's called "fraud" on their part, accepting money from a transaction they KNOW is illegal.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
I'd hire a lawyer and get your money back.

You don't have a valid sales contract because the seller cannot legally enter into one.
Actually Im not sure about that? Im no expert, Ive proved that. But I think the seller can sell the vehicle if he chooses to. The problem is, if he does I believe he loses his exonerated status of that vehicle and now is liable for the import taxes that would be due. Especially since he is the owner of the vehicle (which has been sufficiently mentioned here) it would seem that the owner of the vehicle is liable for the payment of those taxes and not me. But Im not sure as you say, that the owner cannot legally enter into a sales contract. I think the condition is, he cant legally enter into sale of the car and still maintain his exonerated status of the vehicle. Now that I believe.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I presume you bought this vehicle at handy money if you are prepared to wait 3 years to get title? You better hope that the seller does not suffer any accidents or his family might just take the car back.

It's a strange tale..... why wouldn't you want your cash back and buy a normal vehicle that you could register in your own name forthwith. Whoever told you that you need to be Resident to buy a vehicle is lying.....that's a fact.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Actually Im not sure about that? Im no expert, Ive proved that. But I think the seller can sell the vehicle if he chooses to. The problem is, if he does I believe he loses his exonerated status of that vehicle and now is liable for the import taxes that would be due. Especially since he is the owner of the vehicle (which has been sufficiently mentioned here) it would seem that the owner of the vehicle is liable for the payment of those taxes and not me. But Im not sure as you say, that the owner cannot legally enter into a sales contract. I think the condition is, he cant legally enter into sale of the car and still maintain his exonerated status of the vehicle. Now that I believe.
He cannot sell the vehicle without paying the import duty & taxes, about 50% of the value of the car.

Therefore, since he never paid the taxes, I doubt he can legally enter into a sales contract, but I could be wrong.

It could very well be that since your sales contract is dated before he can legally sell the car, YOU possibly could be on the hook for those 50% in taxes. DGII won't care who pays; they will just want to be paid.

It must be one helluva of a car at one incredible price.

Hope it's worth it when all the dust settles.

Many here have offered the advice you sought, and you've chosen to largely ignore it.

You've made up your mind and have accepted the risks. I wish you great luck and winds to your back...

Come back next year and tell us how it all got sorted out...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
He found a buyer.

(...) But I think the seller can sell the vehicle if he chooses to. The problem is, if he does ...

.... that then the buyer has a lot of problems (in this very case). :knockedou

donP

Jan 9, 2004

You probably will be alright....but, you need to recognize the other pitfalls. He divorces and he gives the title to his wife, who gives it to her lawyer, who has the car impounded and legally given to the wife.

You now claim you have a contract for the sale.....but it is invalid....because the husband could not have legally sold the car to you while it was in exoneration.

In the end, you will have a contract for which you will spend a lot of time, effort, and money, finding out the guy who sold it to you could not and the contract is void ab initio.

Ok so now you need make a legal claim against the seller to get your money back.....best of luck with that one.

Seriously, I would not have done what you did, and while I hope/believe it will work out for you, there are way to many downside risks you may not be aware of.

Again, best of luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i think the "old way " still exists in d.r. titles float...the car is retained/owned /possession and it is reg. licensed etc...can be transferred same way as purchased/

Feb 7, 2007
Some guys are pu$$y whipped, you are car whipped.

I think you are in love with the car and do not want to let it go so you invent reasons to keep it, same way as Gringo men invent reasons why their Dominican barrio novia is different and will "change" if they show her enough love and attention.

Same way as they do not listen to a voice of reason on DR1, same way you do not listen to voice of reason saying you are looking for trouble with this car.

'Nough said.

George

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
I presume you bought this vehicle at handy money if you are prepared to wait 3 years to get title? You better hope that the seller does not suffer any accidents or his family might just take the car back.

It's a strange tale..... why wouldn't you want your cash back and buy a normal vehicle that you could register in your own name forthwith. Whoever told you that you need to be Resident to buy a vehicle is lying.....that's a fact.
The individual at the insurance agency admitted she did not really know about the residency thing. I believe she was referring to if I had a DR drivers license. In that case residency would be required.

BTW, I never said I wouldnt want my money back. Or that I wouldnt want to buy another vehicle etc etc. I simply asked for advice/feedback.

To others that this may concern : Other than this forum, I have encountered 2 other individuals who are going through the same thing. It's not an ideal situation, but it's not the end of the world either.

Here in this forum, a few individuals have given quality feedback on their concerns. The what ifs. I have not read one example here where someone actually experienced some or all of the gloom and doom that could happen. Again the what ifs. Now had there been examples of people who actually had major problems buying a car like this, then the feedback would be well worth it. And I or someone else could have more reason to go for getting money back.

The cause for concern was well worth it. But at the end of the day it will still be my decision that counts. I didnt expect grown ass people on a forum to get bent out of shape because somebody didnt do exactly what THEY want somebody to do. Just because were on a forum, thats no reason to get emotionally attached to the advice you give. Offer the advice, and let it go, if you can? No need to it personal or get personal, or feel you have to monitor what somebody else does with the information shared here.

And who ever said I ignored the advice is grossly exaggerating. I did not ignore any advice. I embraced the advice and also sought advice outside of this forum. My decision was not based on this forum alone.

Try to be happy that somebody brought a situation to the forum so everyone can be aware of. Now, by 8/12/2015 if I survive all of the gloom and doom of what could happen, get the car legally in my name, then so be it. If not, and other issues arise, I can share here, and others can be aware of what can happen. So relax, let me be the test for this situation.

If this is not the route you would take, fine. Thats fine with me, Im not monitoring you, nor will I make an issue of it. I would not knowingly choose this situation again. I didnt knowingly choose this situation, I found myself in it after I paid the car off. I could very well have tried to get money back, succeeded, and found myself purchasing another car that turns out to be a lemon. Did anybody think about that? Now I'd have a legal lemon in my name.

I chose to continue and play this thing out because maybe I can prevail. If anybody is living here in the DR, they are already taking risks just by living here, and driving legal here. If I told any of you here, the ones giving advice to stop driving in the DR and gave you all of the risks would you stop driving just because I told you that? Of course not. You would accept the risk, and try to be as careful as you can.

What do I look like telling you that you ignored my advice? You didnt ignore any advice. You embraced the advice, became aware of the risks, and you made your OWN decision of how you would proceed. Im not gonna get bent out of shape on a forum because somebody didnt do what I want them to do. Im not a controlling person like that. Some of us have family members like that. Cant tell them nothing because they make it their business to monitor and follow up on you. And get an attitude because you didnt do something they want you to do. I know, I know, you dont really care what somebody else does. They all say that. But if that were the case it would reflect in their behavior, wouldnt it?

So having said that. Again, I appreciate ALL of the feedback. Hopefully even lurkers can benefit from this topic. I will provide more details and feedback as it comes.

Last edited:

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
I'm Back. And it's All Good. Got my Matricula

I am the OP who started this topic last year. Here are the particulars. I bought a car from Auto Mayella back in August 2014 that I was unable to put the matricula/title in my name. August of this year 2015, the car qualified for ownership transfer. I hired my car insurance agent to handle all of the paperwork. That included payment of taxes to the Impuestos Office, getting the sales contract validated I believe in Santiago, and also having to get a duplicate matricula before she could begin. The one that I presented to her was laminated. And the Impuestos Office refused to accept it. One thing I wish I hadnt done was insist that the dealership put the exact amount that I paid for the vehicle on the sales contract. Because when my insurance agent checked online for the value of the car, it was valued significantly less than what was indicated in the sales agreement. I could have saved a few hundred or thousand pesos on the taxes paid to the Impuestos Office. Take it from me, if you get a laminated document from any dealership or private owner, dont accept it. Because it may be worthless. And you will end up paying the cost for a duplicate.

So as of today, I have my own matricula now in MY NAME. During the course of 15 months I have been stopped numerous times when I only had the old matricula in the other guys name. Never had a problem with LE. Also November of last year ,had an accident with a kid driving on a moto. He ran into me, and damaged my drivers door. My insurance company paid for the damage, I paid my 9600 peso DED. The insurance company paid the kid and his mother 10000 pesos just so they could close the case with them. Even though the kid hits my vehicle the insurance company rewards him/them in order to avoid a bigger lawsuit. That incident got handled, but when it 1st happened the situation was drama filled. So in conclusion, I survived all of the gloom and doom regarding my situation. Something I definitely wouldnt recommend or want to do again.

Last edited: