Using the word "DON"

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Perhaps someone with a solid knowledge could help me with this:

I have a good friend that is a professional woman here in the DR. I have had both professional and informal conversations and meetings with her. We (including my wife) had dinner with her last week. In messages to me last week she used as a salutation "Don Johne" several times. So... are there several ways that salutation can be used?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Perhaps someone with a solid knowledge could help me with this:

I have a good friend that is a professional woman here in the DR. I have had both professional and informal conversations and meetings with her. We (including my wife) had dinner with her last week. In messages to me last week she used as a salutation "Don Johne" several times. So... are there several ways that salutation can be used?
Yes, there are several ways it can be used and many are situational.

Don and Doña are old nobility titles that evolved into titles to show respect and are considered the highest level of formality. It’s higher than Señor/ Señora and Usted.

If your friend is addressing you using Don in formal and informal settings then it’s to show respect and in my opinion, she will definitely use it in writing if she uses it when speaking to you.

If you think it’s too formal given the relationship/ friendship you have with her you can tell her ‘you can call me Johne’. Depending on her age and your age she may not want to but at least you put it out there as a suggestion.

Reactions: Lucifer and johne

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If there's a fairly big age difference and/or a perceived difference in class, Dominicans prefer to use Don or Doña. It's a cultural thing.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think Don and Doña before the first name are more commonly used when there is some familiarity or working relationship with the person. Otherwise, Señor and the last name would be used.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
If somebody calls you Don or Dona; get your things organized ! You are old and about to die soon !

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If somebody calls you Don or Dona; get your things organized ! You are old and about to die soon !
LOL. My wife has been called Doña Yris for 30 years and she is only 63. It is more a term of respect or position. I get called Don by complete strangers, Senor Bob usually though.

Reactions: Lucifer

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I don't know about everybody else, however I tend to be a " Don" when I wear real clothes but a " primo" when I wear shorts and a t-shirt...... Go figure.

Reactions: Lucifer