Usps

Rcly

Apr 20, 2017
USPS in the DR

Hi! Someone in Missouri sent me a book using USPS, you guys said IMPOSDOM is the carrier that handles mails for USPS here? Where in Santo Domingo I can find an office? Will they contact me once they receive my package? Will I have to pay when I pickup my package? Please help!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi! Someone in Missouri sent me a book using USPS, you guys said IMPOSDOM is the carrier that handles mails for USPS here? Where in Santo Domingo I can find an office? Will they contact me once they receive my package? Will I have to pay when I pickup my package? Please help!

First step would be what kind of address they used to send it to you, right?
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I hope it wasn't a signed limited edition...

I'd go to the main post office and ask them. "This is my address, where should I check for packages?"

In the future, if you feel like gambling continue to use Imposdom. If you need something to have a decent chance of arriving, use a discount courier service (many threads on DR1 about these companies). Many first world services we tend to take for granted either don't exist or just don't work as expected in this country. The concept of someone thousands of miles away being able to send us a letter or package using the public mail system is one of those things.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
She used my normal address in Santo Domingo to send it. Is there difference?

If you're very lucky, it may show up. So many factors. I've seen letters arrive in Santo Domingo 8 months after being mailed, others seem to fall into a black hole. Since it's a package and not a letter, customs is surely involved too.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
She used my normal address in Santo Domingo to send it. Is there difference?

I regularly receive circular letters posted to my address in Santo Domingo National District, posted from the UK from an organization who have that address rather than my UK postal address. Takes a couple of weeks from posting.

Because it is a package it may be held up at the IMPOSDOM Santo Domingo offices especially since the customs clampdown at the beginning of April........you will probably need the commercial invoice of the book purchase to retrieve.

http://www.inposdom.gob.do/index.php/institucion/directorio-de-ubicaciones

Can you not track your package with USPS? UK Royal Mail has a tracking service for overseas service and I track packages to the Caribbean islands using it (I often send to the islands that I visit regularly rather than DR by the way)

The Professor

Sep 22, 2015
So what about sending outgoing mail from here? I'm located in Santo Domingo and have been FedEx'ing my mail back to someone in the states who then mails it for me. This method is bulletproof in its reliability, but obviously very expensive. I can justify, as I only send mail once a month, but it would be great to find something less expensive.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So what about sending outgoing mail from here? I'm located in Santo Domingo and have been FedEx'ing my mail back to someone in the states who then mails it for me. This method is bulletproof in its reliability, but obviously very expensive. I can justify, as I only send mail once a month, but it would be great to find something less expensive.

Send via Registered mail with INPOSDOM.

Rcly

Apr 20, 2017

I called INPOSDOM recently, and I gave them my package number and they saw it but they told me someone else has already claimed my package. I just don't understand! How can that be possible? Have you guys had that problem before?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The basic reality for someone who is in the DR for extended periods of time, you just has to give up on the notion of cheap and reliable postal service. Options for inbound mail while not perfect are better than outbound mail. Mail services can work sometimes and not others, the operative word being reliable.

Get a scanner for those documents you have to send somewhere, use email to send documents and photos to loved ones and friends, set up email billing for those accounts you need to pay while away, maintain a list of acquaintances who routinely come and go as these people usually do not mind adding a stamp or two and dropping letters in a mailbox while they are outside the DR, offer to do the same for them when you travel.

For now, we just have to wait for changes in the current system and accept that the idea of mail delivery that we have come to accept as the norm just doesn't exist in this country yet.

Philippeg

Jun 30, 2012
For anyone who (luckily) received any parcel through "inposdom" from the state :
How long did it take for you to get it from the time it was sent ?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Never have had a problem with outgoing mail here. As JD posted send registered. Incoming mail now that's a crapshoot