Vacation in SD

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I am planning a 2 week vacation in SD in mid June and want to double check the current status related with COVID.

1) Do I have to take PCP test before I go to DR to show proof I am negative or no longer need?

2) Which I should rent a car, from airport or someone I can trust (Reasonable rate)

3) I am renting a condo from Airbnb (it has been reserved)

4) I purchased health insurance just in case if need medical so I'm covered.

5) Once I return back home, is PCP test required? If yes, how much and where?

I know the curfew will still remain, 10pm with 2 hour transit time till 12am if I am correct.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
2) Which I should rent a car, from airport or someone I can trust (Reasonable rate)

In any country, I would personally avoid renting from any company on any airport... Much less here of course... I've rented numerous vehicles from private parties or small companies I know well in POP and if you know someone, I would never ever consider renting from an airport... I have no idea what's available in SDQ but I would assume my advise would be valid there as well...

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JimW

May 21, 2014
RE:I am planning a 2 week vacation in SD in mid June and want to double check the current status related with COVID.

1) Do I have to take PCP test before I go to DR to show proof I am negative or no longer need?
>>Nothing needed to get INTO the DR.

>> If you know someone you trust and they give you a good rate, that's usually better. Renting from the airport always involves "the game"... the counter people work on commissions and will tell you (e.g. lie) you need this insurance and that option etc. before renting. The truth is that only one insurance, LIABILITY (that pays for the OTHER PERSON's car/injuries if you hit someone) is required. It's referred to as the "law insurance" (required by law). Most credit cards will provide CDW insurance (which covers the RENTAL CAR DAMAGE if you hit someone ) . They're sharks at the counter though and if you seem like a tourist or uninformed, they'll insist you need all the insurances (at hugely inflated prices).
If you absolutely have to rent at the airport I'd recommend making a reservation with any of the major companies that DON'T require to pay in advance. Never PAY in advance, only RESERVE. If you PAY, you're usually on the hook (e.g. you've paid for the car in advance, get to the counter and then they won't release the car unless you buy a bunch of extras). RESERVE (not paying) only. Then at the counter, tell them you only want LIABILITY (the 'law insurance'). If the car is $20/day, the liability insurance may be another $15/day (sometimes it can be as much, even more, than the rental itself). If they pressure you into CDW ('damage') insurance, Glass, Tire, etc. say, "No" unless you really want them. If they refuse, insist. If they won't budge, then you can walk away without losing pre-paid money.
Note on the other insurances:
1. CDW, again, check if your credit card covers rental damage. Most companies will zip your credit card putting a hold ($1000-2000) until you return the car undamaged. If you return damaged, you have to pay then and there (or they take it from the hold). You will then need to get re-imbursed from your credit card company once you're back in the US. Be sure to see what documentation your credit card company needs (itemized damage receipt, photos etc.)
2. TIRE/GLASS: Major roads in the DR are generally ok but there are lots of potholes, unpaved roads etc. still. Trucks or other vehicles that throw up stones (that can cause glass damage) are a concern still as well). I've found that if you're staying in major/built-up areas (e.g. Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, Sosua/Cabarete, Santiago etc. ) and aren't going off-road too much or heading into barios, you're probably fine without the tire/glass extra insurance. If you're off-roading it , get the tire/glass insurance. Also, SUV's are much better at damage avoidance on bad roads with their big, thick tires and higher ground clearance (when I rent an SUV-class, I don't bother with the tire/glass insurance. If you're getting a small car with small tires (easily taken out with a huge pothole) then you may want to consider it.
3. THEFT: Theft also generally requires separate insurance. Generally most tourists aren't parking overnight in the barios so you can probably also decline it. If you feel you'll be parking in risky places - I would probably question why you're doing that and just park somewhere safer (common sense).

MOST IMPORTANT THING WHEN RENTING ANY VEHICLE IN THE DR -> Before getting the car they will do a walk-around. DO IT WITH THEM. HAVE THEM MARK ANY DAMAGE, NO MATTER HOW SMALL THE SCRATCH, DING, DENT, SCUFF ETC. IS. TAKE PHOTOS ALL AROUND OF THE CAR, WITH THE INSPECTOR (OR THE LOT WHERE YOU'RE TAKING THE VEHICLE OUT FROM) IN THE BACKGROUND. CHECK THAT THE SPARE TIRE IS THERE AND IN GOOD SHAPE. PHOTOS OF EVERYTHING. I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS ENOUGH. PHOTOS AND DOCUMENT ON THEIR FORM EVERYTHING. CHECK THE GLASS TOO - ALL WINDOWS, FRONT AND BACK FOR THE SLIGHTEST CHIP OR CRACK AND DOCUMENT IT. THE WWWWIIIILLLLL TRY TO SAY ANY DAMAGE NOT MARKED WHEN YOU TAKE THE CAR OUT WAS BECAUSE OF YOU AND WILL WANT TO CHARGE YOU. ONLY A WELL-MARKED CHECK-OUT INSPECTION SHEET AND PHOTOS CAN PROVE WHAT WAS PRE-EXISTING!

>>Generally no issue.

>>No problem but probably not necessary. If you have a small need (e.g. need medicine, need stitches, bone set etc.) they have clinics in the tourist area that are generally good and not too expensive on outpatient procedures like those (and they’re almost always going to come under the co-pay/deductible of travel insurance). If unfortunately, you’re stricken by something larger, say, you have the bad timing of your appendix getting inflamed or something else where you need surgery, I’d check if your current US policy has emergency medical repatriation coverage or you might have it through your credit card. Not sure I’d want to go through a major procedure there unless you’re in a private hospital in Santo Domingo or tourist area.

>>Yes. It isn’t hard to find. We just came back from the DR on April 30, 2021 and there were several places to get the test done. You can also just search the internet. Note, if you’ve recovered from having COVID in the last 90 days (as we were), make sure you bring the paper showing your recovery. You don’t need a test then to re-enter the US. Just the paper (signed by your MD on the practices’ letterhead) to prove your recovery and safe to travel. For more information on this check the CDC website.)

I know the curfew will still remain, 10pm with 2 hour transit time till 12am if I am correct.
>>Yes.

Thanks

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
RE:I am planning a 2 week vacation in SD in mid June and want to double check the current status related with COVID.

>>Nothing needed to get INTO the DR.

>> If you know someone you trust and they give you a good rate, that's usually better. Renting from the airport always involves "the game"... the counter people work on commissions and will tell you (e.g. lie) you need this insurance and that option etc. before renting. The truth is that only one insurance, LIABILITY (that pays for the OTHER PERSON's car/injuries if you hit someone) is required. It's referred to as the "law insurance" (required by law). Most credit cards will provide CDW insurance (which covers the RENTAL CAR DAMAGE if you hit someone ) . They're sharks at the counter though and if you seem like a tourist or uninformed, they'll insist you need all the insurances (at hugely inflated prices).
If you absolutely have to rent at the airport I'd recommend making a reservation with any of the major companies that DON'T require to pay in advance. Never PAY in advance, only RESERVE. If you PAY, you're usually on the hook (e.g. you've paid for the car in advance, get to the counter and then they won't release the car unless you buy a bunch of extras). RESERVE (not paying) only. Then at the counter, tell them you only want LIABILITY (the 'law insurance'). If the car is $20/day, the liability insurance may be another $15/day (sometimes it can be as much, even more, than the rental itself). If they pressure you into CDW ('damage') insurance, Glass, Tire, etc. say, "No" unless you really want them. If they refuse, insist. If they won't budge, then you can walk away without losing pre-paid money.
Note on the other insurances:
1. CDW, again, check if your credit card covers rental damage. Most companies will zip your credit card putting a hold ($1000-2000) until you return the car undamaged. If you return damaged, you have to pay then and there (or they take it from the hold). You will then need to get re-imbursed from your credit card company once you're back in the US. Be sure to see what documentation your credit card company needs (itemized damage receipt, photos etc.)
2. TIRE/GLASS: Major roads in the DR are generally ok but there are lots of potholes, unpaved roads etc. still. Trucks or other vehicles that throw up stones (that can cause glass damage) are a concern still as well). I've found that if you're staying in major/built-up areas (e.g. Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, Sosua/Cabarete, Santiago etc. ) and aren't going off-road too much or heading into barios, you're probably fine without the tire/glass extra insurance. If you're off-roading it , get the tire/glass insurance. Also, SUV's are much better at damage avoidance on bad roads with their big, thick tires and higher ground clearance (when I rent an SUV-class, I don't bother with the tire/glass insurance. If you're getting a small car with small tires (easily taken out with a huge pothole) then you may want to consider it.
3. THEFT: Theft also generally requires separate insurance. Generally most tourists aren't parking overnight in the barios so you can probably also decline it. If you feel you'll be parking in risky places - I would probably question why you're doing that and just park somewhere safer (common sense).

MOST IMPORTANT THING WHEN RENTING ANY VEHICLE IN THE DR -> Before getting the car they will do a walk-around. DO IT WITH THEM. HAVE THEM MARK ANY DAMAGE, NO MATTER HOW SMALL THE SCRATCH, DING, DENT, SCUFF ETC. IS. TAKE PHOTOS ALL AROUND OF THE CAR, WITH THE INSPECTOR (OR THE LOT WHERE YOU'RE TAKING THE VEHICLE OUT FROM) IN THE BACKGROUND. CHECK THAT THE SPARE TIRE IS THERE AND IN GOOD SHAPE. PHOTOS OF EVERYTHING. I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS ENOUGH. PHOTOS AND DOCUMENT ON THEIR FORM EVERYTHING. CHECK THE GLASS TOO - ALL WINDOWS, FRONT AND BACK FOR THE SLIGHTEST CHIP OR CRACK AND DOCUMENT IT. THE WWWWIIIILLLLL TRY TO SAY ANY DAMAGE NOT MARKED WHEN YOU TAKE THE CAR OUT WAS BECAUSE OF YOU AND WILL WANT TO CHARGE YOU. ONLY A WELL-MARKED CHECK-OUT INSPECTION SHEET AND PHOTOS CAN PROVE WHAT WAS PRE-EXISTING!

>>Generally no issue.

>>No problem but probably not necessary. If you have a small need (e.g. need medicine, need stitches, bone set etc.) they have clinics in the tourist area that are generally good and not too expensive on outpatient procedures like those (and they’re almost always going to come under the co-pay/deductible of travel insurance). If unfortunately, you’re stricken by something larger, say, you have the bad timing of your appendix getting inflamed or something else where you need surgery, I’d check if your current US policy has emergency medical repatriation coverage or you might have it through your credit card. Not sure I’d want to go through a major procedure there unless you’re in a private hospital in Santo Domingo or tourist area.

>>Yes. It isn’t hard to find. We just came back from the DR on April 30, 2021 and there were several places to get the test done. You can also just search the internet. Note, if you’ve recovered from having COVID in the last 90 days (as we were), make sure you bring the paper showing your recovery. You don’t need a test then to re-enter the US. Just the paper (signed by your MD on the practices’ letterhead) to prove your recovery and safe to travel. For more information on this check the CDC website.)

>>Yes.

Thanks

Hello,

Be honest, I think this rate is ripoff and I am triyng to figure out what "Lis" rate is for, possible insurance or? This is for Dollar car rental at the airport, I was curious, it came out to this:

2 Weeks at $240.01 per week. Unlimited kilometers.

Fees and Surcharges
Concessn Recov Fee (10%)
$62.94
Vehicle License Fee ($2.50 Per Day)
$30.00
Lis ($9.95 Per Day)
$119.40
Taxes
State Tax (18%)
$124.63

Estimated Fees and Taxes
$336.97

Approx. Total
$816.99

Or AVIS Rental:

Base Rate$617.14
for 15 day(s)

KilometersUnlimited
Rental Options
$149.25

Equipment & Services $0.00
None Selected
Protections & Coverages $149.25
Additional Liability Insurance (ALI)-MANDATORY

Discount Codes
Coupon: NA
AWD: NA
Rate Code: NA
Fees & Taxes$277.06
Concession Recovery Fee (10%)80.39
Local Driving Permit (USD2.50/day)37.50
Total Tax159.17
Estimated Total$1,043.45

I checked, my CC has rental car ins so I can decline it and be on my way. But I;m not sure about the rental rates above, any suggestions?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello,

Be honest, I think this rate is ripoff and I am triyng to figure out what "Lis" rate is for, possible insurance or? This is for Dollar car rental at the airport, I was curious, it came out to this:

————……..——/
I checked, my CC has rental car ins so I can decline it and be on my way. But I;m not sure about the rental rates above, any suggestions?

The CC insurance will not do the job if you become entangled in an accident here. Hurst yet if there are people hurt.
The CC coverage in the DR for rentals is spotted at best.