Jan 16, 2009
Chicky has lingering effects.. long ones.... years

Can't say the same for the Dengue
Still crazy after all these years

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Dengue is a bit of a specialty of mine.... 3x

The first time it felt like a protracted 'gripe'.... low energy, slight fever....
I am told the first case is the weakest

Yes, there are 4 types
No, the jury is still out as whether immunity for that strain exists after one instance.

The hemorrhagic cannot be the first - they say- only subsequent Dengue attack - second and on
I had that one my second time - Clinica Abreu gave me that advice
My doctor had had all four

The hospital is not necessary if you know what to do

My third case started (usually starts 10 days after the bite) on the airplane to the USA.

Slow start to the day - by midday feeling a bit slower.
Then the fever starts - 104-104.5F.... high!
After a day or so - cools down to 101-102 for 8-9-10 days

Headache is so bad you can't comb your hair
hurts behind the eyes

I had this both for #2 & #3...
one time was in a clinic....IV drip, no appetite
bloodwork went to the basement...serious deterioration
there is no treatment - just trying to make you comfortable as possible

My USA incident I just stayed home
Philadelphia wouldn't know about tropical diseases

Bed rest - Ensure & Pedialyte....keep your blood strong... it's your only defense & cure

I returned to RD after my own regime... perfect bloodwork
After the RD hospital stay (w/#2) I had recovered but they kept me 2 days longer to get my blood count up
No need for that... they just gave me saline.... no minerals/vitamins
I learned from that

Soooo
not much to be done....bed, and hydration with the Ensure & Pedialyte worked for me better than anything

As I said, the old thinking was after 4 trips you're done
That is being rethought !!

Same mosquito for Chicky, ...big one with white feet

...WW...3 times wow.....I was sick as hell in a few hours.. fever reached almost 105( danger for adults) my blood work showed a dramatic lost of red blood cells, big headache, very dehydrated... and yes a saline i.v..... one time for me is enough...no hospital stay....I am in very good shape, no low immune.....I think most people would welcome treatment from a professional ............Doc..............

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
104.5F for #2...... #3 was uncalibrated

Blood cell count with just the saline is a problem
My personal Pedia/Ensure program solved that....

A professional in the US for tropical diseases is hard to find...

Anyway -- I survived

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
From today's DR1 News: https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.p...esday-19-September-2018?p=1913104#post1913104

---
Malaria cases up
At least 63 confirmed cases of malaria have been registered in the last four weeks in the epidemiological surveillance system, 75% of which were in neighborhoods of Santo Domingo West.

As of the beginning of this month, 294 cases have been reported throughout the country, with La Ciénaga, Hato Nuevo, Caballona and Manoguayabo, in Santo Domingo West, and Las Mercedes, in Los Alcarrizos, the neighborhoods with the highest incidence of the disease that it is transmitted by the bite of the Anopheles mosquito, which breeds in swampy and dirty waters, especially where there is vegetation.

In the past week, the system detected 25 confirmed cases (17 men and eight women) aged between 13 and 62 years of age, according to data contained in the epidemiological bulletin 35.

As far as dengue is concerned, also transmitted by mosquitoes, the Aedes aegypti, which breeds in clean water, last week there were 14 probable cases and in the last month 79 probable and confirmed cases. Most of the dengue cases were detected in the municipalities of Sabana Yegua, Higüey, Villa Vázquez, Villa González, San José de Ocoa and Los Alcarrizos. So far this year there has been 748 cases of dengue, some 127 less than at the same time last year.

Looking at cholera, the latest report says there has been one confirmed case from a 60 year old man in Hondo Valle, Elias Piña last week and five cases in the last month all near the border with Haiti.

https://listindiario.com/la-republic...cuatro-semanas
http://outbreaknewstoday.com/dominic...domingo-51444/

---

The odds are still pretty good that tourists to this country will not contract disease, except for maybe a bit of traveler's diarrhea. The further off the resorts one ventures the greater the exposure to germs and parasites. There are effective treatments for the various forms of Malaria but those parasites are really good at developing immunity to the various drugs used to kill them. While a vaccine for Malaria exists, its only about 50% effective in preventing the disease. If you are one of the 50% and are kept from getting sick in the first place, that's probably a good thing. Tablet prophylaxis is the usual short term method of prevention for the average tourist.

The article points out that despite the popular belief that some diseases are limited to the remote countryside or the border region with Haiti (where the likelihood of contracting disease is indeed more likely), you can get infected in other parts of the DR just the same including the Capitol City which is no where near the frontier.

None of the tropical diseases are fun and particularly benign. Some can have long last health effects. Some are preventable and some are not. By coming here we accept that sanitation practices and general public health practices are not the same as at home. There is disease here that we just don't see anymore in our home countries except from to time in those returning from vacation. Travelers have options available to them to mitigate the risks while they get their tan and drink cheap rum. It has to suck to have a great vacation only to go home, get back to work and then have to recuperate for a month or so from a tropical disease or infection that may have been preventable by visiting a travel medicine clinic at least 6 weeks before going on vacation.

All of the common diseases and parasitic infections are here in the DR in varying degrees of prevalence. All it takes is one mosquito, one kissing beetle, one sand flea, one resort worker with Cholera, one contaminated ice cube or one communal salad bar. individual travelers can be as proactive as they choose taking into consideration that those with compromised immune systems, who are pregnant or otherwise do not tolerate significant illness well may be better off being more proactive than the next person.

No one should be telling others not to take reasonable precautions except a qualified medication professional after reviewing the health history of an individual traveler. In the end, not getting sick from a preventable disease is an individual's decision and responsibility. I would hope that the person who asked the question would make the effort to seek out the advice of a travel doctor near them before getting on the plane as they obviously are concerned enough to ask the question in the first place.