Venting against a pharmacy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkieJoe

Feb 15, 2013
Odd. Everytime I go to the pharmacy they seem to enjoy making an event of the transaction by taking every sleeve out of the package while seeking approval of product as if they they built them with their two hands....On second thought. They may have actually built them with their two hands. ��

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Can't verify if that's really what happened but who told me is a pharmacist who worked at Salud Publica and still works in the area of regulations for pharmacists. I thought it was a funny story at least.

It absolutely happens all across this (and any other 3rd world) country. I pay careful attention to the labeling and manufacturer of the pills I am buying and if there are several choices for the same drug, I will disqualify the bottom 20% price-wise just to be on the safe side (counterfeits do tend to be the cheapest). To give an example, I have a recurring ear infection that happens once or twice a year. At this point I can recognize the symptoms early and I always go for antibiotics right away: Cypro is my fave - it's strong and cheap. Right after I start taking it, I can feel the pain decrease and completely clear in about 24 hours, like a clock. Then 2 years ago I bought Cypro and it had no effect whatsoever after taking it for 3 days, - in fact the pain got a lot worse. So those were fake meds 100%. I then bought antibiotics in a different pharmacy and they did the job quickly as usual.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It absolutely happens all across this (and any other 3rd world) country. I pay careful attention to the labeling and manufacturer of the pills I am buying and if there are several choices for the same drug, I will disqualify the bottom 20% price-wise just to be on the safe side (counterfeits do tend to be the cheapest). To give an example, I have a recurring ear infection that happens once or twice a year. At this point I can recognize the symptoms early and I always go for antibiotics right away: Cypro is my fave - it's strong and cheap. Right after I start taking it, I can feel the pain decrease and completely clear in about 24 hours, like a clock. Then 2 years ago I bought Cypro and it had no effect whatsoever after taking it for 3 days, - in fact the pain got a lot worse. So those were fake meds 100%. I then bought antibiotics in a different pharmacy and they did the job quickly as usual.
Oh , I don't doubt the practice of counterfeiting or selling expired medicines, but I don't know if how that laboratory was exposed really happened like that.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
.....get some gatorade and moderate amount of coconut water. also, as meems suggested, avoid sugar and sweets. rest is very important. don't get the small stuff get ya, ok?

I'm confused, aren't they both mostly sugar? I understand the reason for drinking them, to keep electrolytes in balance, but if sugar is an issue than they won't help.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all hydrating liquids are salty-sweet. the most basic hydrating potion is water with sugar and salt. these are fine. but adding to this highly processed sugars is a bit too much.

in terms of counterfeit medicine: it's usually the one that is most popular and sold at the highest volume. so winasorb, ibuprofen, diclofenac, first line of antibiotics like amoxicillin; popular more expensive antibiotics like levo or cipro, blood pressure meds and of course la pela.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am just happy when I ensure the antibiotics I bought are not counterfeit.

Once the pharmacy I went to didn't have the dosage of a drug I was prescribed so they tried to convince me that the same drug at 10X the strength would be fine. When I called the Dr. to check, he did not agree.

On another occasion, I received a completely different drug than what was prescribed. When I pointed out the mix up they explained this drug does the same thing. Again the Dr. did not agree. Thank fully I am not usually sick, otherwise I'd have to move somewhere else as I will have run out of pharmacies.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Just think of those people who can't read, or are not given the right dosage etc.
While mine is not a life threatening situation it could develop into one for those people.

I expect better competence from a pharmacy.

Just think of those people who can't read doctor's handwriting.....like me!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I take a daily regimen of 5 drugs, and they have cost at the same pharmacy 1460 pesos for a 30 day supply for the 4+ years I have been buying them there. I was out of town and went to a pharmacy and asked for the same pills and it came to 3800 pesos. I declined and as they were asking me to come back to the counter I walked out the door and went to a different pharmacy down the block and ordered what I had always ordered. They bagged them up and said 1620 pesos. So I paid and went on my way. When I got home I found that two different ones only had 20 pills in the box instead of 30. Guess they taught me to count my pills!
Der Fish

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes I forget where I am... and I dont normally care that much ,,, but now they have ****ed me off.

4 days ago I started high fever, then violent diarrhea, then finally on the 3rd day a huge rash that not only stings but burns as well. Off I go to Centre Medico in Puerto Plata.

Zika he says looking at the rash. I insist on blood test to rule out dengue. He then decides on fecal analysis.
Blood tests ok, fecal shows amoeba. Wonderful. He gives me prescription for antibiotics Nixiber 500 mg. 1 pill 3 times a day for 5 days.. trot down to pharmacy next door, grab little bag and high tail home.

Opened the bag when I got home... 1 box which has 6 pills. The prescription is for 15 pills!!!! Sent hubby next day with instructions to get me the rest. He phones me from the pharmacy... they dont have more he says.. when I stopped screaming they found another box... so now i have 12 pills. Still short 1 day's worth. may not be that bad... they may receive more next week he is told.

Peeve:
How can a pharmacy attached to a clinic not warn that the prescription is not complete and they can't fill it! If I had not checked I could have thought that this course of antibiotic is only for 2 days! That is how super bugs are created! I could have gone to another pharmacy. They could have asked the doctor for an alternative. they could have phoned around... many possibilities.

Bottom line: make sure you understand the prescription and check your bag before you leave the pharmacy.

Thank you for letting me vent!

Buyer beware! You're at a Pharmacy in the DR not at Walgreens.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i have never picked up a prescription from a Dominican pharmacy which tells me how the pills are supposed to be taken. if i don?t ask, i never know nice details such as how many times per day they are to be taken, or if they are to be taken before or after meals. they just hand you the package and tell you the price.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i have never picked up a prescription from a Dominican pharmacy which tells me how the pills are supposed to be taken. if i don?t ask, i never know nice details such as how many times per day they are to be taken, or if they are to be taken before or after meals. they just hand you the package and tell you the price.

We've always gotten the instructions from the prescribing doctor, and it's normally written on the prescription paper. They always return that to us with the pills.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We've always gotten the instructions from the prescribing doctor, and it's normally written on the prescription paper. They always return that to us with the pills.

i have never gotten anything but a piece of paper with some words only a pharmacist can understand.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
anNvKdV_700b_v1.jpg

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Sometimes I forget where I am... and I dont normally care that much ,,, but now they have ****ed me off.

4 days ago I started high fever, then violent diarrhea, then finally on the 3rd day a huge rash that not only stings but burns as well. Off I go to Centre Medico in Puerto Plata.

Zika he says looking at the rash. I insist on blood test to rule out dengue. He then decides on fecal analysis.
Blood tests ok, fecal shows amoeba. Wonderful. He gives me prescription for antibiotics Nixiber 500 mg. 1 pill 3 times a day for 5 days.. trot down to pharmacy next door, grab little bag and high tail home.

Opened the bag when I got home... 1 box which has 6 pills. The prescription is for 15 pills!!!! Sent hubby next day with instructions to get me the rest. He phones me from the pharmacy... they dont have more he says.. when I stopped screaming they found another box... so now i have 12 pills. Still short 1 day's worth. may not be that bad... they may receive more next week he is told.

Peeve:
How can a pharmacy attached to a clinic not warn that the prescription is not complete and they can't fill it! If I had not checked I could have thought that this course of antibiotic is only for 2 days! That is how super bugs are created! I could have gone to another pharmacy. They could have asked the doctor for an alternative. they could have phoned around... many possibilities.

Bottom line: make sure you understand the prescription and check your bag before you leave the pharmacy.

Now tell me what is the benefit of living is such a place?
You guys are nuts!

Thank you for letting me vent!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
all hydrating liquids are salty-sweet. the most basic hydrating potion is water with sugar and salt. these are fine. but adding to this highly processed sugars is a bit too much.i

ok, that explains better. It just seemed that you and Meems were saying no sugar what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.