Virus?????

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Music said:
I found this on the Ontario Public Health website:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/media/nr-rp/2005/20050126-dr_e.html

It is hard to find info but I'm on the search.
PHAC is a FEDERAL agency, not Ontario; of course the link you followed might have been on the Ontario website.

There are a number of active threads on the Debbie's Dominican Travel Forums for both the Riu North Coast and the developing Punta Cana (where the CDC has just confirmed Norovirus as the cause of a previously reported GI infection) situation.

See:

http://debsdrtravels.proboards35.com/index.cgi

Gregg

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
The planes in question were not on the tarmac in Toronto but one in Regina and one in Ottawa as reported by Global last night. The passengers were checked out and then released. They did not say where the planes originated from in the DR, however, they did show footage of beaches!! As far as one could tell, it could have been anywhere in the world!!!
The media has to get the right story out there and not just say the DR, as it is indeed encompassing the whole island and is spreading panic and cancellations to all destinations. They reported that it was a diarhhea(sp?)-based sickness! What the hell is that???
Anyway, I would love to be able to call up some of these news stations and ask them to verify the info before putting it out there, isn't that what caused the demise of a very large number of high-level personnel at CBS just recently!
I have friends right now at Playa Dorada, only because of the Riu situation, that I am sure are enjoying themselves immensely. They wouldn't have been if they were still booked into the Riu, however. Why is the news media making it sound like it is in every hotel across the country. If they had gone by what the media was saying, they would have cancelled and never had the DR experience. Should maybe the DR Minister of Tourism makes some calls to the media and set it straight, before it creates a huge drop in tourism dollars?
Who knows, it just irritates the hell out of me that there is so much misinformation out there, and nothing can be done about it.
Sorry, had to vent!
Marlie
Wanted to put things in perspective...
My nephew and some of his fellow Queens University buddies all went to New Orleans this past week. On the return trip, New Orleans to Charlotte leg, and then again on the Charlotte to Detroit leg and then the ride home to Kingston, he was violently ill with vomitting and diarhhea, originating on the plane, and ending up with him spending two days in Toronto not being able to move with the sickness taking every bit of life out of him. He originally was told it must be food poisoning, but could be Norwalk Virus. So guess what people - don't go to New Orleans - cause people are getting sick there!! Stay away I tell you! Thank god the media didn't get a hold of that one - there would be no Mardi Gras this year!!!!!!!
don't take this post the wrong way - in NO WAY am I trivializing the sickness, I know it is serious, been there, done it, and am glad the hotels in question are getting a handle on this, the point I am trying to make is the media making it out to be an epidemic that is all over the island and not isolated as it is.

Last edited:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I hear you it's alright to vent. I'm heading to POP on Feb 5 and all this media had me concerned they were driving me crazy. But I also know how the media can be I'm not a big fan of the media. So I"ve been reading and searching. I am still going and my friends and I look forward to it!!
But I am a cautious person so I have done some research. I also mentioned it to me Doctor and he didn't seem to be concerned. I'm not trying to say nothing is happeneing I know people have gotten sick but the media is scaring a lot of people.
So I'm okay with going and I do agree with you it is going to affect the tourism I know people who have cancelled there trips or decisons to go to the DR becasue of this virus media coverage. It's sad but have no fear I'm still coming lol Watch out here we come ;) !

marliejaneca said:
The planes in question were not on the tarmac in Toronto but one in Regina and one in Ottawa as reported by Global last night. The passengers were checked out and then released. They did not say where the planes originated from in the DR, however, they did show footage of beaches!! As far as one could tell, it could have been anywhere in the world!!!
The media has to get the right story out there and not just say the DR, as it is indeed encompassing the whole island and is spreading panic and cancellations to all destinations. They reported that it was a diarhhea(sp?)-based sickness! What the hell is that???
Anyway, I would love to be able to call up some of these news stations and ask them to verify the info before putting it out there, isn't that what caused the demise of a very large number of high-level personnel at CBS just recently!
I have friends right now at Playa Dorada, only because of the Riu situation, that I am sure are enjoying themselves immensely. They wouldn't have been if they were still booked into the Riu, however. Why is the news media making it sound like it is in every hotel across the country. If they had gone by what the media was saying, they would have cancelled and never had the DR experience. Should maybe the DR Minister of Tourism makes some calls to the media and set it straight, before it creates a huge drop in tourism dollars?
Who knows, it just irritates the hell out of me that there is so much misinformation out there, and nothing can be done about it.
Sorry, had to vent!
Marlie